• RMweb Gold

After Juniper Hill I had a bit of a modelling hiatus.

A few false starts later using a baseboard I had previously made I decided to use an area of East Northamptonshire I love and know well.

I envisaged the fictitious Wadenhoe & Lilford Light Railway  ran between Wadenhoe and  Barnwell connecting with the LNWR Northampton-Peterborough line. 

The layout is set in the late 1950's on a spur to Pilton. Pilton church and Lilford Hall of GWR fame are in the background.

Currently track is down and wired up. This is PECO 009 sprayed and painted with Valejo acrylics. Points are manually operated. 

The backscene is from photos I have taken of Pilton stitched together and printed by a local print shop I will get another one printed shortly with a few modifications.

Landform is Daler mount board with kitchen roll soaked in watered down PVA and left 2 dry. 

Buildings are the usual mixture of the ubiquitous Wills kits along with some scratch building. Again painted and weathered using Valejo acrylics. 

Lighting is provided by Screwfix LED lighting strips. Thanks to Pete Matcham for the heads up.

Motive power is a combination of Narrow Planet 3D printed multi-media kits mounted on Minitrains chassis. Also the there are three of the excellent Bachmann  Baldwins detailed and renamed. Narrow Planet have provided the excellently made custom nameplates.

Rolling stock is a combination of the once more excellent Bachmann 009 WD stock with some PECO & Eggerbahn items mixed in. All of these have again been detailed or repainted and weathered. 

More soon.

Cheers, 

Mark 

IMG_20190407_154609.jpg

IMG_20190407_153934.jpg

IMG_20190407_154024.jpg

IMG_20190407_154335.jpg

IMG_20190407_153834.jpg

Edited by 46444
Inserting pictures in a disorganised fashion...
  • Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

Great to see a thread started for this Mark.

As you know, am not a fan of that funny gauged stuff...but am of good modelling...and I am sure this will be another cracker like JH once the scenics are done.

Its already taking shape now with the lighting and backscene installed (thanks for the credit too :D

Looking forward to seeing this develop...staying tuned :good:

Pete

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, bcnPete said:

Great to see a thread started for this Mark.

As you know, am not a fan of that funny gauged stuff...but am of good modelling...and I am sure this will be another cracker like JH once the scenics are done.

Its already taking shape now with the lighting and backscene installed (thanks for the credit too :D

Looking forward to seeing this develop...staying tuned :good:

Pete

Thanks Pete :)

Got some good vibes with this layout.

Next job is platform edging and ballasting.

Watch this space.

Cheers,

Mark :D

• RMweb Gold

Bachmann's Baldwin is a real gem. I've three of them. Two started life as Welsh Highland examples and are named Wadenhoe & Lilford.

The railways pet loco is named after Captain Fisher the retired Royal Engineer who helped to found the railway in 1919 using Government surplus stock and equipment.

T-Cut was used to remove unwanted printed logos. The excellent Narrow Planet plates are fixed with PVA and sealed with Johnson's Kleer. A light dry brushing and coat of airbrushed satin varnish is then completed with a dusting of track dirt.

More pizza

IMG_20181225_153339.jpg

IMG_20181230_105500.jpg

IMG_20181230_104832.jpg

Edited by 46444
Insert image..
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Mark,

Really pleased to see you back on the modelling bandwagon! I absolutely loved Juniper Hill, personally it provides me with so much inspiration and just proved what you can do in a small space. It was absolutely wonderful modelling. 

I have no doubt the new project will be just as good and you have already made a great start and things are already beginning to take shape. I am fan of industrial narrow gauge so will be following with interest. I can already see that your wonderful use of colours and weathering will once again set this project apart as something really special - the way you blend everything together to paint the overall scene is so impressive. 

Can't wait to see what you do and how this develops. 

David 

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've weathered 5 of the excellent Bachmann 009 WD wagons. Two box vans and three opens. 

More pizza

More pizza

I've used my normal mix of Valejo acrylics and used washes as well as dry brushing. The underframes received a dusting of a mixture of Tamiya NATO black/brown airbrushed on.

More pizza

More pizza

Numbers are HMRS Pressfix LMS .

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

I've started ballasting today using beach sand and chinchilla dust.

Pizza

Pizza

Bit of a tidy up of the ballast then I'll damp it down ready for the PVA/water and washing up mixture.

Pleased I've got the photos sussed now I can up date proceedings as the layout progresses.

More soon ;)

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
On 09/04/2019 at 02:55, south_tyne said:

Mark,

Really pleased to see you back on the modelling bandwagon! I absolutely loved Juniper Hill, personally it provides me with so much inspiration and just proved what you can do in a small space. It was absolutely wonderful modelling. 

I have no doubt the new project will be just as good and you have already made a great start and things are already beginning to take shape. I am fan of industrial narrow gauge so will be following with interest. I can already see that your wonderful use of colours and weathering will once again set this project apart as something really special - the way you blend everything together to paint the overall scene is so impressive. 

Can't wait to see what you do and how this develops. 

David 

Thanks for your kind words David.

I'm pleased with how things are going with the build. Again as with Juniper Hill I'm using stuff I have to hand making things easier and quicker.

Cheers,

Mark 

Edited by 46444
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Great to see you back on here Mark, and doubly pleasing that it is with a new layout. I'd go so far as to say that Juniper Hill is my all time favourite model railway and still one I find incredibly inspiring.

Wadenhoe already looks good. Looking forward to seeing more soon!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, ModellerChris said:

Great to see you back on here Mark, and doubly pleasing that it is with a new layout. I'd go so far as to say that Juniper Hill is my all time favourite model railway and still one I find incredibly inspiring.

Wadenhoe already looks good. Looking forward to seeing more soon!

Hi Chris,

Thanks as well for your kind words.

It's amazing the effect JH had on people and hopefully it may reappear in time.

Wadenhoe Road builds on what I learnt from JH and allows me to try a few new techniques.

Hopefully it will be equally fun to operate in the less is more style whilst being an inspiration to peeps. 

Also being a member of the 009 Society I hope with the advent of RTR stock from the likes of Bachmann and use of older items will have a positive approach to 009 Scale and encourage folks to have a go.

Thanks once again.

Mark

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I've done the deed and the ballasting had been done...

More pizza...

Mixture of Chinchilla dust with beach sand from Chapel St. Leonard's. Hopefully set with the good old PVA/water and a few drops of water having been pre-wetted.

Note coffee stirrers pre-coloured with Valejo acrylics as platform edging.. ;)

More pizza...

More pizza...

Hopefully it will all set with the warmer weather..

With the drapes made I've been thinking about a layout name board. Near Wadenhoe is a lovely road sign and this will be the basis of the name board. Instead of Lowick it will read 'Wadenhoe Road Station'.

Pizza!

I've approached a sign maker today for a quote. Next week I'll arrange  to get another backscene made up by my local print shop but lightened on the horizon.

Cheers,

Mark 

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Looking good Mark.

Presume you are back to using spoons to stir your coffee temporarily :D

Some terrific weathering on those wagons too.

Look forward to see that scenery progress...clock is ticking...:O

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, bcnPete said:

Looking good Mark.

Presume you are back to using spoons to stir your coffee temporarily :D

Some terrific weathering on those wagons too.

Look forward to see that scenery progress...clock is ticking...:O

Thanks Pete,

Think the Lavazza could be shaken and not stirred ;) 

I'm studying Mr.Gravett's book religiously ready for starting the scenics. 

Cheers,

Mark 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Pleased to report the ballast has set nicely and just needs a bit of tweaking in places. 

Points all work smoothly so just need to do a test run ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Motive power wise the 3 Bachmann Baldwin's will be the main locos. Here's Lilford with Wadenhoe.

Pizza lots off...

However the Narrow Planet multimedia kits running on Minitrains chassis will play their role in the running roster.

The O&K Contractors loco Linnet is a favourite of mine. 

Pizza lots off...

The Messerschmitt in the background will be duly weathered and toned down. 

The most modern loco on the Wadenhoe & Lilford Light Railway is an LKM diesel called Kestrel which appears to have jumped the rails.

Pizza lots off...

Another Narrow Planet/Minitrains kit is almost finished being built and is ready for the paint shop. More later on this.

• Like 5

The ballisting is very neat Mark :good_mini:

What radius points have you used? Is it the 12" or mainline 18" ones? 

I love the LKM diesel, right up my street! 

I think you're right about the growth in 009. Given the release of all these new rtr items in recent years, with more to come, it really is halcyon days for the scale. I was a 009 modeller in a past life and, whilst actively modelling in the scale anymore, I have retained my membership of the 009 Society. It is the most friendly, welcoming bunch of folks you could ever hope to meet. There is also some superb modelling in display in the scale. The membership fee is worth it for the 009 News alone and I still draw great inspiration for it when it drops on the doormat each month, despite my narrow gauge bits and pieces being packed away. I couldn't part with my stock though so never say never, and I may return to it one day! 

• Thanks 1

On 17 April 2019 at 15:19, 46444 said:

I've weathered 5 of the excellent Bachmann 009 WD wagons. Two box vans and three opens. 

More pizza

More pizza

I've used my normal mix of Valejo acrylics and used washes as well as dry brushing. The underframes received a dusting of a mixture of Tamiya NATO black/brown airbrushed on.

More pizza

More pizza

Numbers are HMRS Pressfix LMS .

Nice weathering, what Vallejo paints did you use, were they acrylic washes ? I'm trying not to use enamels so much but for washes, I'm struggling to find anything as good.

Steve.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, south_tyne said:

The ballisting is very neat Mark :good_mini:

What radius points have you used? Is it the 12" or mainline 18" ones? 

I love the LKM diesel, right up my street! 

I think you're right about the growth in 009. Given the release of all these new rtr items in recent years, with more to come, it really is halcyon days for the scale. I was a 009 modeller in a past life and, whilst actively modelling in the scale anymore, I have retained my membership of the 009 Society. It is the most friendly, welcoming bunch of folks you could ever hope to meet. There is also some superb modelling in display in the scale. The membership fee is worth it for the 009 News alone and I still draw great inspiration for it when it drops on the doormat each month, despite my narrow gauge bits and pieces being packed away. I couldn't part with my stock though so never say never, and I may return to it one day! 

Hi David,

The points are a mixture of PECO 009 Mainline and the traditional Crazy Track. I've shortened some of the Mainline versions.

Agree re: 009 News. A fabulous publication which with the Society has promoted the scale effectively.

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 46444
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, sb67 said:

Nice weathering, what Vallejo paints did you use, were they acrylic washes ? I'm trying not to use enamels so much but for washes, I'm struggling to find anything as good.

Steve.

Hi Steve,

I'll take a photo of the Vallejo paints I used for you in the next few days. 

The paints are let down with water to varying constistencies then applied and when almost dry wiped off with a damp cotton bud. 

You do have to be careful when working with acrylics because of the rapid drying time however.

Cheers,

Mark 

Edited by 46444
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 37114 said:

Lovely little layout, what are the key dimensions please? I have long considered dabbling in 009 and this sort of layout looks right up my street. Really nicely executed.

Thanks for your kind words 

The layout is about 4ft x 1ft but I'll measure it to give you the exact dimensions.

Cheers,

Mark 

• Thanks 1