1 minute ago, 46444 said:

Thanks for your kind words 

The layout is about 4ft x 1ft but I'll measure it to give you the exact dimensions.

Cheers,

Mark 

Thanks Mark, look forward to seeing this develop, The advent of some of the Bachmann/ Peck stock makes things so much easier for a newbie like me.

Quick question,  how do the Bachmann loco's run? Being a fan of shunting layouts, good slow running is very import to me.

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, 37114 said:

Thanks Mark, look forward to seeing this develop, The advent of some of the Bachmann/ Peck stock makes things so much easier for a newbie like me.

Quick question,  how do the Bachmann loco's run? Being a fan of shunting layouts, good slow running is very import to me.

It's true that Bachmann, PECO and Heljan have made modelling 009 easier. 

The Bachmann WD locos run superbly as do the matching WD wagons.

With the PECO stock I find it benefits from changing the plastic wheel sets to Farish metal ones as well as adding additional weight.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

As mentioned previously I've been working on another Narrow Planet kit. Again it's a 3D printed and etched metal construction.

The loco is based on Pamela a Penrhyn Hunslet mated with a Hudswell-Clark boiler & cab. Details of the prototype are below:

https://oldkilnlightrailway.co.uk/2018/05/24/oklr-launches-appeal-for-hunslet-920-pamela-2/

It's a straightforward kit to build. The Minitrains chassis needs minimal modification and runs smoothly.

Pizzatastic...

The body is weighted with Liquid Lead. I annealed the cab roof before rolling it. Handrail knobs, wire and smoke box door handle are from Gibson.

I've some RT Models Penryhn buffers to add and the lamp irons then it's ready for spraying in house black livery.

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

On 07/04/2019 at 20:43, 46444 said:

On 07/04/2019 at 20:43, 46444 said:

Edited by 46444
Can't delete...
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Back on track.

After a few days helped by the warm weather the ballast had dried nicely. Bit of a clean up and things worked well.

Today I've had a good day to work on the layout. With Gordon Gravett's Modelling Grassland and Landscape Detailing as inspiration I thought I'd make a start on the the scenics.

Pizza again.

Pizza again.

Armed with some old tights and a mixture of Chinchilla dust and log burner ash I've covered the yard area and platform.

I'll adjust some the yard/platform areas to relieve the uniformity.

Pizza again.

Pizza again.

Pizza again.

At the front of the layout I wanted a muddy area with a disused trailer in situ. Again using Mr. Gravett's techniques I was able too achieve a mud effect. Tyre effects from a small screwdriver.  I'll apply a coat of varnish to this area shortly for a wet mud effect. 

Pizza again.

Finally I've started work on the static grass and got the base layer down on the right hand side. I've used Jarvis 2mm mixed fibres and an FMR Static tea strainer. I'll use some Auhagen fibres for longer grass.

I have put the buildings and props back insitu to gauge the overall effect.

Pizza again.

Pizza again.

More soon..

Cheers,

Mark 

Edited by 46444
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Great Easter progress Mark - you must be chuffed.

Like the small scenes that are coming together and overall make a cohesive whole.

Make sure those tights get rinsed and put back before noticed missing... :jester:

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Pete, 

It's amazing what you can do with tights...:D Great effect though and can thoroughly recommend Morrison's Value 15 Denier tights for the job. Not 2 much shear either..;)

Pleased with the Easter works and the little cameo pieces are starting to come together :good:

Cheers,

Mark 

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

This weekend I've had a chance to fire up the trusty FMR static grass applicator. Using 2mm Jarvis Scenics fibres WR now has a base covering to work with.

Margarita Pizza. Margarita Pizza.

Also I've worked on the buildings adding a chimney to the station building and a few enamelled signs.

Margarita Pizza.

Margarita Pizza.

The Messerschmitt has been replaced by a BMW Isetta. 

Margarita Pizza.

I've modified four Ratio telegraph poles adding metal caping using metal foil from a soft drinks can.

Margarita Pizza.

Finally Linnet is seen on an engineers train..

Margarita Pizza.

Margarita Pizza.

Here she is with a weathered PECO Hudson tipper wagon.

Margarita Pizza.

I'll work on the grass adding 4mm fibres this week. Also I'm off to the print shop to sort the photographic backscene out.

Cheers,

Mark 

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

With the backscene away things have been a bit quiet on the layout front.

Thankfully I'll pick the new version up this week and I can get on with the bushes which will help to blend the layout and backscene together.

Yesterday I drove up to TMC at Beck Hole which must win the award for the most beautiful setting for a model shop.

Whilst there I picked up a number of items including some Woodland Scenics tree sprues. 

This afternoon I've had a play with them. I only need 2-3 trees for Wadenhoe Road but thought I'd get a production line going for future projects.

Pizzatastico..

I've never used these Woodland Scenics products before but must admit I'm really impressed so far. I've manipulated 9 sprues into something resembling deciduous trees.

Pizzatastico..

Using an hacksaw I've scraped the moulding to resemble bark on the lower tree.

I've given the trees a blast of Halfords grey primer. The plan is to use washes of Valejo acrylics to build up a subtle grey'ish, browny green effect to resemble the bark.

Pizzatastico..

Pizzatastico.. Pizzatastico 2.

This has been influenced by reading Gordon Gravett's book on Broadleaf Tree modelling

After this I'm looking at using Woodland Scenics F52 Foilage Medium Green which when teased out resembles leaves. Again Mr. Gravett is the source of this wisdom.

More soon and other Gravett inspired scenics.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

Those trees are looking good Mark :good:

Look forward to see them finished and the new backscene installed - this is all coming together rather nicely...;)

Edited by bcnPete
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, bcnPete said:

Those trees are looking good Mark :good:

Look forward to see them finished and the new backscene installed - this is all coming together rather nicely...;)

Thanks Pete :good:

I'm pleased with the effect on the tree trunks. Hopefully some colour on them will lift the detail nicely. All being well Kernow will come up trump's with the Woodland as scenics delivery.

The lighter backscene is ready for collection along with the layout name board. Once in situ I it's full steam ahead pending any Sharpie permanent marker calamities..:mocking_mini:

I'm planning on experimenting on making Primroses and Bluebells with static grass and coloured flock. 

Plans are also afoot to put a small water tower in near the right hand side of the station for loco replenishment. The tank comes from FMR at Baildon. The supporting  structure will be made from long match sticks.

Additionally a PECO bogie coach has been ordered to cover the main passenger service. No doubt it will receive a few modifications.

Stay tuned..:D

Cheers,

Mark 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The new backscene and sign have been installed. Few tweaks on scenics as well....

Pizzzzzzzatasico.. Pizzzzzzzatasico.. Pizzzzzzzatasico.. Pizzzzzzzatasico.. Pizzzzzzzatasico.. Pizzzzzzzatasico..

More soon. Couple of trees to make and hedges to lay 

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, bcnPete said:

Lovely stuff Mark - really great progress.

New lighter backscene makes a real difference...

Frequency not de-tuned...:D

Thanks Pete,

I'll keep this frequency clear :D.

More soon on trees and bushes.

Cheers,

Mark

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Few update snaps of progress on Wadenhoe Road.

Pizzzzzzzaaaaa! Pizzzzzzzaaaaa!

Here's Lilford shunting a carriage recently bought from a vicar in North Devon.  It's in the process of being restored.

Pizzzzzzzaaaaa!

PECO L&B coach with paint effects from Valejo & Johnson's Kleer. 

Work also progressing on the Woodland Scenics trees. 

Pizza Oven Pizza Oven Pizza Oven

Hopefully another update soon.

Cheers,

Mark 

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mark.

Just caught up with this lovely layout.

I've long admired the Bachmann Baldwin. A splendid model indeed. In the same way that Juniper Hill provided much inspiration for my own Sheep Lane, could this charming layout do the same for a venture into 009.....................

Top drawer.

Rob

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Hi Mark.

Just caught up with this lovely layout.

I've long admired the Bachmann Baldwin. A splendid model indeed. In the same way that Juniper Hill provided much inspiration for my own Sheep Lane, could this charming layout do the same for a venture into 009.....................

Top drawer.

Rob

Evening Rob,

Thanks for those kind words. JH may reappear one day. It's currently residing in Cornwall with Wiggoforgold of this parish.

The Bachmann Baldwin is top notch stuff. A few more options out later this year along with the proposed Quarry Hunslets and the Baguley Drewery diesels.

A good time to commence a 009 project.

Layout wise with Wadenhoe Road it's on the finishing straight almost..

Thanks once again.

Cheers,

Mark 

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Your choice of backscene is perfect, some of your pictures looked almost real.

Thanks as well Woodenhead. Backscene Mk 2 certainly makes a difference. 

I'm going to try and blend the back of the layout with hedging bringing it all together.

Cheers,

Mark

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, 46444 said:

A good time to commence a 009 project.

I think I will pass on that one Mark :D

Some great progress again and as others have said the backscene and scenics are looking terrific. Did you photograph it internally with the show lights on? Would be great to see some shots of it taken outside in natural light :good:

Let’s hope the Vicar used the sale of the carriage to top up the collection plate...

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, bcnPete said:

I think I will pass on that one Mark :D

Some great progress again and as others have said the backscene and scenics are looking terrific. Did you photograph it internally with the show lights on? Would be great to see some shots of it taken outside in natural light :good:

Let’s hope the Vicar used the sale of the carriage to top up the collection plate...

Hi Pete, 

Good point.

I'm planning an outdoor snapping session soon so it will be good to see what effect natural light has on the layout. 

As for the vicar the tale is based on a true story from the sale of  Lynton & Barnstaple Railway stock on closure of the line.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 2