Milliput Superfine - different coloured compounds ?

Hi all

Been a while since I used some, but my memory tells me I have two sticks of compound which I knead equal amounts of together which then goes hard.  The instructions n the box confirm that so I mixed equal amounts together, but 48 hour later still soft and flexible.  

The two sticks are in different coloured wrappings, one clear and one blue, but both compounds are white. This means that I was unlikely to "knead until the colour is uniform" because it is already uniform - white !!

Cynically I am wondering if I have two sticks of the same compound.

Can anyone advise please ?

Thanks 

I bought some Milliput Standard a few months ago, one stick was yellow in a clear wrapping, and the other grey in  a blue wrapping.

As I say it was the Standard type, not Superfine, If your sticks are the same colour it could be that the same compound has been packed, albeit in different colour wrapping.

It does take several hours to set, but not 48. 

Try heating it up  on any heat source like a heater or even a lamp  and see if if it sets but sounds like something is wrong .It should go off after about an hour  and harden over night but apply heat and its sets much quicker .Buy your self a new pack probably . .As milliput gets older it starts going off and  drying out and making it hard to mix .I have resorted to a microwave to make it workable again but not really recommended .The white is finer and stickier than the other colours .

Thanks for the swift replies. I am thinking of Philsandy's response.  Both sticks of the white compound seem to be very similar in terms of colour and consistency, to the point where I am wondering if it is the same stuff.  Bought new fro ma model shop last week. 

• RMweb Gold

Funny you should say this, Covkid, as I'm experiencing the same problem with standard 'yellow and grey' Milliput; hasn't gone off after a week in a centrally heated room.  My solution is to give up and replace it with fine, which I've used recently and had no trouble with, but it may be time to start thinking of another product.  I've used Milliput for years and had no trouble, an excellent material that can be freely worked and shaped but goes off hard enough to be machined.

Maybe a glitch with the current batch; the hardener seemed a bit stiffer and harder to mix than usual, or they've changed the formula.  If the latter, it obviously isn't working!  I'm so used to Milliput that I don't really know what other products are out there!

• RMweb Premium

I've just looked at my Milliput Superfine.  One stick is pure white and wrapped in clear polythene.  The other is a creamy colour, clearly different from the first, and is wrapped in blue polythene.  Mixed together, they go off in a few hours.  Assuming that you're mixing equal quantities and mixing thoroughly - I knead them together for meybe a minute, even small quantities - the fact that the mix is still soft after 48 hours suggests you've got a duff batch which should be returned.

DT

• RMweb Premium

If you look at your Milliput pack you'll find that the Milliput Company has an email address. I suggest that rather than buy a new pack you contact them directly - I'd like to think that in view of your experiences with the product they'd send you a replacement pack free of charge.

DT