Ignore Not Ignoring?

Quick question - how does the "ignore posts" feature work?

I have chosen to ignore a members posts but when I scroll through threads, I still see them.  Above, there is a little banner that tells me I am ignoring the posts but I would have expected not to see them at all in the thread (unless someone quotes them of course).

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Still not working.  I wondered if unignoring (real word - I checked) a topic and then ignoring it again might be a solution since all of the topics I have ignored date from before the latest software changes but that just raised a further question: how does one ignore a topic these days?

And before anyone says "just don't look at it", I know I could do that but I'd prefer my RMweb views not to be cluttered with football chatter.  :banned:

There’s certainly been n changes to the “ignore” options, but for me they largely work as before. 

But the two issues raised in this thread are quite different. Probably should have been separate topics. 

The first is about ignoring people or at least their posts. I agree that is not as through as before. I too would prefer they were completely hidden. I've also found that posts by moderators cannot be ignored. 99% of these are fine but (exckudung those employed by Warners of course) I would be happier ignoring a couple. 

”Ignoring posts” as raised by ’teaky’ is more complex. You can ignore ”areas” (otherwise known as forums or sub-forums); or you can ignore topics (aka ’threads’). I'm not sure if individual ”posts” (replies) can he ignored though. 

I like the new site, and this is one area, with its customisable filters, I have found very useful. I spent some time looking through all the sub-forums and selected each one that I actually wanted to ”follow”, ignoring all the others. Then I set my personal ”unread content ” filter to show only topics in ”areas I follow”.  Hey presto, no more ploughing through threads I have absolutely zero interest in. My RMWeb browsing is instantly a far more productive experience. 

I'm not sure specifically answering your issue teaky will be useful without knowing how your custom filter is set (all settings), but reviewing your ”ignore” preferences as you suggest sounds like a good place to start. 

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Kiwi said:

There’s certainly been n changes to the “ignore” options, but for me they largely work as before. 

Can you remind me how to ignore a specific thread then please.  I can't find/remember how to do it.

But the two issues raised in this thread are quite different. Probably should have been separate topics.

I can see your point but it is all about ignoring in one form or another.

The first is about ignoring people or at least their posts. I agree that is not as through as before. I too would prefer they were completely hidden. I've also found that posts by moderators cannot be ignored. 99% of these are fine but (exckudung those employed by Warners of course) I would be happier ignoring a couple. 

There is a facility to ignore posts by specifc members and this works to a point, but it would be better if the custom filter(s) didn't include an entry advising that the post is being ignored since it rather negates the point of what I was trying to achieve.

”Ignoring posts” as raised by ’teaky’ is more complex. You can ignore ”areas” (otherwise known as forums or sub-forums); or you can ignore topics (aka ’threads’). I'm not sure if individual ”posts” (replies) can he ignored though. 

It used to be possible to ignore individual topics and although the ones I have chosen are still labelled as ignored if I go into them they are still visible to me in filtered results etc. which did not used to be the case and, I think, was not the case for the new forum software initially.

2 hours ago, Kiwi said:

I like the new site, and this is one area, with its customisable filters, I have found very useful. I spent some time looking through all the sub-forums and selected each one that I actually wanted to ”follow”, ignoring all the others. Then I set my personal ”unread content ” filter to show only topics in ”areas I follow”.  Hey presto, no more ploughing through threads I have absolutely zero interest in. My RMWeb browsing is instantly a far more productive experience. 

I chose not do things this way because although it is an easy way to focus on specific areas of interest I did not wish to miss out on threads that demonstrate high standards of modelling but which are not my main interest (for example, I would have missed out on Heaton Lodge Junction since it is far away from 1930s LNER in 4mm).

I'm not sure specifically answering your issue teaky will be useful without knowing how your custom filter is set (all settings), but reviewing your ”ignore” preferences as you suggest sounds like a good place to start. 

You haven't specifically answered my query but writing this response has triggered a few ideas of where I might look next, so thank you for that.

39 minutes ago, teaky said:

Can you remind me how to ignore a specific thread then please.  I can't find/remember how to do it.

Big red button at the top of the topic page labeled “Ignore this topic”.

• Agree 2

44 minutes ago, teaky said:

I chose not do things this way because although it is an easy way to focus on specific areas of interest I did not wish to miss out on threads that demonstrate high standards of modelling but which are not my main interest (for example, I would have missed out on Heaton Lodge Junction since it is far away from 1930s LNER in 4mm).

I totally agree, but for me areas such as these three examples add nothing to my modeling interest:

Wheeltappers

Exhibitions, Events & Club/Society Info 

RMweb Area Groups

The first is simply not what I want RMWeb for, and the latter two are literally half a world away from me   :rolleyes:

So it’s easy to exclude them. There’s no need to exclude stuff you do like. What you keep or exclude is always a purely personal matter. I choose to exclude quite a few others, but you don’t have to. 

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Kiwi said:

Big red button at the top of the topic page labeled “Ignore this topic”.

:laugh_mini:There isn't one.  I wonder.  What browser are you using, Kiwi?  (Same question please to laurenceb and DIW who Agreed.)

• Moderators
7 hours ago, teaky said:

And before anyone says "just don't look at it", I know I could do that but I'd prefer my RMweb views not to be cluttered with football chatter

I've been and looked at your settings Rob. I believe it is working - but maybe not in the way you understand it may work. If you go to a sub-forum view such as https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/forum/57-wheeltappers/ the ignored topics show. But they shouldn't appear in your activity feeds. I will look to see if there's any way they can be hidden in the forum view.

17 minutes ago, teaky said:

:laugh_mini:There isn't one.  I wonder.  What browser are you using, Kiwi?  (Same question please to laurenceb and DIW who Agreed.)

On iPhone and iPad: either Safari or Chrome

On desktop PC: Chrome, Firefox, and MS Edge

All are very latest versions. 

See attached image. 

F729C450-FE1B-467C-8A4A-C6AD72A4C9E9.png

Edited by Kiwi
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

I've been and looked at your settings Rob. I believe it is working - but maybe not in the way you understand it may work. If you go to a sub-forum view such as https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/forum/57-wheeltappers/ the ignored topics show. But they shouldn't appear in your activity feeds. I will look to see if there's any way they can be hidden in the forum view.

Thanks Andy.

In the sub-forum view I can see ignored topics but they are clearly labelled.  That doesn't really bother me since by the time you've drilled down to that level there aren't too many threads.  It's the activity feed really where things get cluttered by stuff I'm not interested in, leading to unnecessary scrolling.

FYI I used to look at the old style forum via a view of 'what has changed since your last visit' and I'm effectively using a customised activity feed to replicate this.

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Kiwi said:

On iPhone and iPad: either Safari or Chrome

On desktop PC: Chrome, Firefox, and MS Edge

All are very latest versions. 

See attached image. 

F729C450-FE1B-467C-8A4A-C6AD72A4C9E9.png

Hmmm, I'm using Firefox (one of the browsers you mention, I see).  Everything is fully up to date and I can see everything except that big red Ignore button!

5 minutes ago, teaky said:

Hmmm, I'm using Firefox (one of the browsers you mention, I see).  Everything is fully up to date and I can see everything except that big red Ignore button!

Do you have any browser add-ones enabled? If so, disable them one at a time to check if any are conflicting with RMWeb code and hiding that button. 

Edited by Kiwi

• Moderators

I can confirm that Rob can't see the Ignore button; there's a glitch somewhere which I need to look into further - first look didn't reveal a quick fix.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, teaky said:

Hi Teaky,

Firefox, across Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Android. No additional toolbars added to Firefox, and Adblock plus engaged on the Windows platforms (was disengaged on RMWeb until the adverts got intrusive).

Usually, I'm logged in to RMWeb - that would be required so that the server knows who wants to ignore what!

On the previous version of RMWeb, ignored topics showed in the sub-forum views with a red 'Ignored' flag, and were absent from the VNC view. On this new version I don't see the ignored topics at all - in the very rare event I want to see what I've ignored I just need to look at my personal settings.

Occasionally, there is a topic which does not offer the 'Ignore' button (at least, not on my screens). These tend to be anything to do with BRM Magazine, and any topic started by Phil Parker. On the previous version of RMWeb, I found that additionally the Boxfile Challenge topics were not ignorable, neither was some of the N gauge content. Note - I didn't necessarily look to ignore all the above, I simply noticed that the button wasn't there.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, DIW said:

Hi Teaky,

Firefox, across Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Android. No additional toolbars added to Firefox, and Adblock plus engaged on the Windows platforms (was disengaged on RMWeb until the adverts got intrusive).

Usually, I'm logged in to RMWeb - that would be required so that the server knows who wants to ignore what!

On the previous version of RMWeb, ignored topics showed in the sub-forum views with a red 'Ignored' flag, and were absent from the VNC view. On this new version I don't see the ignored topics at all - in the very rare event I want to see what I've ignored I just need to look at my personal settings.

Occasionally, there is a topic which does not offer the 'Ignore' button (at least, not on my screens). These tend to be anything to do with BRM Magazine, and any topic started by Phil Parker. On the previous version of RMWeb, I found that additionally the Boxfile Challenge topics were not ignorable, neither was some of the N gauge content. Note - I didn't necessarily look to ignore all the above, I simply noticed that the button wasn't there.

Thanks for the information.  That sounds like yet another permutation.

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Kiwi said:

Do you have any browser add-ones enabled? If so, disable them one at a time to check if any are conflicting with RMWeb code and hiding that button. 

Yep, did that - no effect.  I have very few add ons anyway.  Since Andy has managed to replicate the problem that rules out add ons now anyway.