Warning Attempted Fraud

247 Developments

Just been rung up & 1st thing I am told is were from the Fraud prevention team (but not from where )

which I then ask for Who & get told HSBC (not my Bank)

He than tryie to say it because I sent payment to HSBC from another bank that's not mine

I knew from the start it was a Con trick

Now he has been rumbled  he give me my address And says Just give me your Bank detail & when I tell him were to go he say he going to call in to get it from my Shop (have fun finding it Mate )

Just A heads up for you all

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Occasionally they are real - I've had them call me a few times for real over the years, usually within seconds of me making an unusual sequence of transactions or a transaction from an unusual place, and a couple of other times when they've been suspect, and the skilled fraudsters can be quite convincing.

Bank cards have an enquiries telephone number printed on the back - take the details of the caller and tell them you will call them back on the number on the card to confirm. 

• Informative/Useful 2

28 minutes ago, sharris said:

Occasionally they are real - I've had them call me a few times for real over the years, usually within seconds of me making an unusual sequence of transactions or a transaction from an unusual place, and a couple of other times when they've been suspect, and the skilled fraudsters can be quite convincing.

Bank cards have an enquiries telephone number printed on the back - take the details of the caller and tell them you will call them back on the number on the card to confirm. 

Very true - but not via the phone you have taken the call on - use another phone.

• Like 1
  • Agree 10
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, MarkC said:

Very true - but not via the phone you have taken the call on - use another phone.

Especially if the inbound call was on a landline - I think the trick doesn't work on mobiles, but it's probably safest to follow this advice there too, just in case...

• Agree 2

Same applies for email providing links DO NOT open contact bank by  phone direct to the banks as above. Never give any details of yourself in any form to anyone at any time.

Edited by micklner
spelling !!
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, micklner said:

Same applies for email providing links DO NOT open contact bank by poem as above. Never give any details of yourself in any form to anyone at any time.

"there was an old lady from Ealing ....."

• Funny 5

4 hours ago, Nick C said:

Especially if the inbound call was on a landline - I think the trick doesn't work on mobiles, but it's probably safest to follow this advice there too, just in case...

Less of a risk than it used to be, after the way exchanges handle "called party hangs up part way through" calls was adjusted.   But the general advice is sound,  unless its impossible, use a different phone system to make the second call to your bank.   Alternatively, ring a friend or relative, confirm your friend is really who you expect it to be (ask about something bonkers obscure about model railways).  Then end call to your friend, and ring the bank.  

And don't trust the CLI on the inbound call from your bank, its possible to spoof those - see media reports in the last few days of at least one high street bank refunding a "move your money" fraud over the CLI matching that of the bank, and failing to warn their customers that CLI spoofing is possible. 

- Nigel

Edited by Nigelcliffe

16 hours ago, RedgateModels said:

"there was an old lady from Ealing ....."

"Who met with some dubious dealing

A phone caller pleaded

'Your bank info's needed'

But she thought that would be too revealing.

Edited by johnarcher
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7
  • Funny 6

19 hours ago, MarkC said:

Just call a different number first, and make sure you get through. The speaking clock still exists, but could be pricey.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Rule 1..

just dont give out any of your personal details to someone who phones you.

say thanks, find the number you know is reliable, and call back.

As mentioned above, call someone you know, or your voice mail before calling back to see the line is cleared.

I have seen email being monitored resulting in seemingly related phone calls, an elaborate but very simple scam, where someone put a splitter on the network replicating all data to/from an individual and sending a copy of all traffic to a blackbox device then calling your home to confirm details.

(as an fyi many companies / internet providers replicate your home internet traffic legitimately by default for government/fraud/DOS attack/ threat prevention etc purposes).