7mm Steam Crane

AmpleCharms

Hello,

First post ever so be kind!

I'm still quite new to the 7mm scene so could someone please tell me  if there's a Cowans Sheldon or Ransomes and Rapier 75t Steam crane available, kit or RTR?

There's a definite gap in the Market if not.

I was admiring a rather beautiful example at Pontefract show but neglected to get any further Information I think it was on the North Eastern model stand.

I have done a Google search and looked through this site to no avail.

Any help anyone?

Have a word with the team at MIOG they had the 75t diesel version in 7mm on their stand at Kettering. I think there are detail on their FB page of who built the basic kit

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

This is the model kit displayed at Pontefract on the trade stand"NER DAYS".Image_0784.jpg.c709a1cb60341537b1c179a4094945fe.jpg

I am advised that this business is being run down for retirement some kits will soon be short of castings etc. the modeller will then have to source bearings, castings, buffers etc. etc. However the proprietor will  not be disposing of the etches and states they will always try to help the modeller. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 08/04/2019 at 18:31, AmpleCharms said:

.. could someone please tell me  if there's a Cowans Sheldon or Ransomes and Rapier 75t Steam crane available, kit or RTR?

You won't find a Ransomes & Rapier 75-ton crane kit since R&R never built a 75-ton crane for the UK. Although R&R did tender for the 75-ton 'modernisation plan' crane contract and produced GA and other drawings for a proposed crane, it lost the contract to Cowans Sheldon and the design was never built. 

The only 75-ton rail mounted cranes to operate in the UK were those built by Cowans Sheldon in steam (later diesel-hydraulic) and diesel-mechanical form. The later telescopic jib cranes, also from Cowans Sheldon, had a slightly lesser rated capacity at 75-tonnes. 

There is a Ransomes crane being built, but it’s a 45t crane like the Hither Green Breakdown crane, which I think was the largest size they built.

im hoping maybe once made and proven it’ll be offered as a kit

Edited by 47606odin

For clarification, 45-tons capacity was the largest R&R built for the UK,  but for overseas use they built up to 120 tons capacity. Remarkable amongst these was a pair of 120 tonners supplied to Singapore for use in connection with the ill-fated defensive batteries, one of which was standard gauge and the other metre gauge. It is likely that the latter was the largest capacity steam crane ever built for metre gauge. Sadly both disappeared in the chaos leading up to the Japanese invasion and the surrender of Singapore (extensive research has determined they did not fall into Japanese hands) and it is most likely that they were both destroyed then dumped in the sea by the British to avoid capture. If so they are probably now under landfill and forming the foundations of Changi Airport.

• Informative/Useful 1