JZjr

Hi all,

I am a little unimpressed with the dymanic range of my Legomanbiffo fitted Hornby 56, what I am missing is some of the higher frequency sound.  It does have a lovely rumble from its bass reflex speaker (52x17x15mm) which I would like to keep.

I have a spare ESU sugarcube speaker as supplied with the LokSound 5.  This should fit in nicely if I tidy the wiring up a little (It does look a little like a rats nest).  Both speakers are 8Ω I believe so should work happily wired in parallel.

tmp.jpg.a67e949c1c66ce1f96721caae5961fa6.jpg

My question is:

Is there any way to ensure the speakers are in-phase short of trial and error as all of my miniature sockets are handed so trial and error would involve soldering & de-soldering?

Thanks for your help

Edited by JZjr
Changed wording to make it clearer that I am not unhappy with the sound project but the dynamic range of the set-up.

Thanks Richard, having had a listen to the model with the body off I can hear a better range.  I think I need to open it up a little, being a modified original Hornby/Mainline 56 I should be able to open up some holes above the trailing bogie - Either that or I can look at fitting etched vents into the body.

Thanks again

No experience with these loco speakers, but I used to build speakers for bands on the road, they needed a crossover to split the frequencies, adding another speaker in this fashion is unlikely to have any effect at all, just adding a tweeter would not separate the frequencies.

4 hours ago, JZjr said:

Those Bass Reflex speakers are OK, bot not for a 56.   A Hi-Bass Slab Speaker will suit it better. 

See https://www.dckits-devideos.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=223_75&product_id=393

Then put the Sugar Cube with a fully sealed enclosure (Red wires together & black wires together) and it will be better.

Charlie (Legomanbiffo Team)

Hi all,

I am a little unimpressed with the dymanic range of my Legomanbiffo fitted Hornby 56, what I am missing is some of the higher frequency sound.  It does have a lovely rumble from its bass reflex speaker (52x17x15mm) which I would like to keep.

I have a spare ESU sugarcube speaker as supplied with the LokSound 5.  This should fit in nicely if I tidy the wiring up a little (It does look a little like a rats nest).  Both speakers are 8Ω I believe so should work happily wired in parallel.

tmp.jpg.a67e949c1c66ce1f96721caae5961fa6.jpg

My question is:

Is there any way to ensure the speakers are in-phase short of trial and error as all of my miniature sockets are handed so trial and error would involve soldering & de-soldering?

Thanks for your help

Thanks,  I've ordered one of those speakers and will give it a go and report back when it's arrived.

I'll try and get a before and after video if I have a mic that can differentiate well enough.

Cheers

On 08/04/2019 at 11:06, JZjr said:

My question is:

Other than listening to the effect, I don't think there is. If they were disconnected you could supply them with a small DC current to observe which polarities made them push and pull their diaphragms.

8 hours ago, AndyID said:

Other than listening to the effect, I don't think there is. If they were disconnected you could supply them with a small DC current to observe which polarities made them push and pull their diaphragms.

Thought so, one speaker is connected and the other isn't so trial error would be the only option. 

Thanks for your help

I have now received the new speaker from DCKits and here is a video of it in operation.

The sound is much better with this speaker, it just goes to show that there is no one speaker to fit all - it is a balancing act between space, effort, cost & quality and all depending on the individual sounds.

It does appear to have a decoder fault, I have noticed it before but thought it may be a one-off.  At the end of the video the chip freezes and needs power cycling.  Charlie, I sent an email via the DCKits website as I bought it from you.  I did say it was a LokSound 4 but it is actually a LokSound 5.

Cheers

4 hours ago, JZjr said:

hecking with ESU re the fault report you gave.   Seems odd!!  Will get back.    Charlie

I have now received the new speaker from DCKits and here is a video of it in operation.

The sound is much better with this speaker, it just goes to show that there is no one speaker to fit all - it is a balancing act between space, effort, cost & quality and all depending on the individual sounds.

It does appear to have a decoder fault, I have noticed it before but thought it may be a one-off.  At the end of the video the chip freezes and needs power cycling.  Charlie, I sent an email via the DCKits website as I bought it from you.  I did say it was a LokSound 4 but it is actually a LokSound 5.

Cheers

1 hour ago, HSB said:

Wiring two 8 ohm speakers in parallel will reduce the impedance to 4 0hms. Make sure the sound module is designed to work into an impedance that low.

I just have the one speaker in there at the moment however I am using LokSound decoders which are suitable for use with 4 Ohm speakers.  I believe it can even 'unoficially' handle a lower impedance.  I am happy with the volume with 8 Ohms and then quality with the new speaker seems great without needing another at the moment.

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to update here, in case anyone with a similar decoder fault also finds this thread.

I have received a LokProgrammer and can confirm that the same fault occours when using it for control.  As the model has two decoders fitted, I will need to open her up to perform a firmware update and then I will get back to you to see how the fault is then.

Cheers