Mk4 WAG

JZjr

1 hour ago, nightstar.train said:

Not much point to that, as you’d run out of DVTs. There are 33 (i think, maybe 32?) Mk4 sets, so plenty spare still. Although a few are going for the Euston - Blackpool open access service, and some might go for the Paddington to Cardiff open access if that ever gets permission. 

Only 30 sets of mk4s, Heck and Hatfield saw several vehicles wrote off reducing the original 31 down to 30.

1 hour ago, 45125 said:

Only 30 sets of mk4s, Heck and Hatfield saw several vehicles wrote off reducing the original 31 down to 30.

And significantly, in both accidents the SV was written off, so there's two of those short.

44 minutes ago, Mark Saunders said:

Are there not enough MK lll DVT's out there to make up the numbers?

Not readily compatible. As in my previous posts, on the Mk4s it's the DVT that controls the train Door Interlock (Mk3s only had secondary locking), and also the inner end of Mk4s can't be coupled to anything else.

7 minutes ago, Ken.W said:

And significantly, in both accidents the SV was written off, so there's two of those short.

Not readily compatible. As in my previous posts, on the Mk4s it's the DVT that controls the train Door Interlock (Mk3s only had secondary locking), and also the inner end of Mk4s can't be coupled to anything else.

Send them to works for mod's, it not rocket science!

5 hours ago, Ken.W said:

The built extra RFMs for the Pullman sets so it was down to par on catering vehicles (and 2 maintenance spares) after the accidents .

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Merfyn Jones said:

Good find there Caz.  I look forward to a trip to Cardiff next month. 

Wonder if they will get a repaint, but if not the LNER livery goes quite well with the TfW livery on the DVT

I believe that all stock that’s used by TfW is to painted into the new livery including the Mk4’s.

3 hours ago, matt-b said:

What's actually in a DVT? Seems a lot of wasted space.. has anyone ever converted them to put extra seats in? Or is this not possible 

It has been considered several times. I think at one time the Anglia Mk3 DVTs were talked about when they were going to replace the seated Mk2 DBSOS. There has also been talk of creating catering accommodation in them.

As built the DVTs have a cab at the front end and a guards office at the gangway end and with a couple of cabinets for equipment and possibly emergency equipment.

2 hours ago, matt-b said:

What's actually in a DVT? Seems a lot of wasted space.. has anyone ever converted them to put extra seats in? Or is this not possible 

It has a guards compartment, van space and a cab.  None have been converted to have seats. 

Iirc there was a proposal from a TOC (can't remember which one now - may have been Anglia) to move the catering equipment into the DVT to free up space elsewhere but nothing came of that. 

There are restrictions on carrying passengers in the leading vehicle of trains travelling at 125mph in terms of seat positioning and orientation which no doubt influenced decisions as to whether it was worth doing in the past for Mk4 DVTs.  Vehicles intended for further life with lower maximum speeds could theoretically be looked at again but I very much doubt the cost and hassle would be worth it. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Conversions would presumably more expensive and complicated than just cutting out some passenger windows - since the mk2, coaches have been of integral construction and modifying the body can badly affect the structural strength, which then requires extra reinforcement be provided.

• RMweb Gold

As others have stated, the original plan was to move the catering into the DVT but with requirements for the guard, emergency equipment and now the need for bike spaces.

The idea of putting passenger accommodation in was quickly discounted by the DfT because of possible crash worthiness, especially after conversion work given it’s integrated construction.

19 hours ago, matt-b said:

At busy periods, particularly holiday times, they were also used for passenger's luggage.

As opposed to their 80x replacements which don't have wasted space and cram as many seats in as possible.

And have had the gangways between vehicles blocked with luggage!

8 hours ago, jools1959 said:

possible crash worthiness,

At Heck the 66 fell on it's side...

The DVT disappeared.

Edited by Ken.W
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, DIRTY DIESEL said:

Heard off a driver in work this morning, there’s a possible test of the MK4s down the coast this Sunday, nowt on TRUST at the moment mind, plus there’s no weekend possessions stopping it reaching Holyhead. 

Thanks Stu.  I'm not doing anything on Sunday.

On 17/11/2019 at 00:50, Ken.W said:

At Heck the 66 fell on it's side...

The DVT disappeared.

Even if the DVT had been built to be totally indestructible the collision energy would still had to have been dissipated somewhere.  Most probably through the complete disintegration of the following vehicles as their momentum carried them into the indestructible DVT.  You can't legislate for the energy involved in high closing speed rail collisions.

Edited by DY444
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, DIRTY DIESEL said:

Heard off a driver in work this morning, there’s a possible test of the MK4s down the coast this Sunday, nowt on TRUST at the moment mind, plus there’s no weekend possessions stopping it reaching Holyhead. 

Arrived at Crewe this morning.  67008, 4 LNER liveried coaches and TfW DVT.

On 08/11/2019 at 02:36, Ken.W said:

Yes, which is as I've I'd said above, my earlier comment was that the formation which had been suggested gave no 1st class with the current Mk4 stock formation. The alternative would be converting the PO to a composite, as doubt they'd want a Full 1st in a 4-car set.

Your second comment probably gives us the answer though, as 19 1st class seats would be just right for a SV converted back to 1st Class.

The sets are entering service with a full first now.

On 15/11/2019 at 18:50, jools1959 said:

I believe that all stock that’s used by TfW is to painted into the new livery including the Mk4’s.

The Mk4s are not being repainted apparently, only the DVTs are. Each DVT is to carry a unique "charity" vinyl.

• 1 month later...

Needless to say this did not happen.

The Crewe mk.3 set was reported working pre-Christmas but I have seen no report of any testing or training with mk.4s.

82226 is in the video mentioned earlier but last night a set with 82229 was outside at Crewe LNW and I *thought* another set inside the shed.

The list of non-compliant services on the TfW website suggests the Crewe mk.3 set is to be used temporarily on the morning departure from Cardiff and the midday return.

• RMweb Gold

I read elsewhere that the Mk4 training had been put back to early 2020 with the Mk3 set continuing on the same diagram it has worked for the last few years until Mk4's and trained crew are available. It therefore seems that the second loco hauled CF to HD diagram is still some way off.