'Abbot's Mead'

georgeT

My idea of a new layout is based on a brewery named 'Abott's somewhere in the south London area around 1948-58 where l can use some early SR wagons etc that l have collected lately, and they can be shunted in and around a small yard,  the road bridge across the middle hiding the fiddle yard will be of cobble stone with an old tram track in the middle with  horse drawn wagon's and cart's, and even a Trolley-bus with the the overhead wire's , all the track is hand built using copper-clad sleeper's with cosmetic chair's (Peco), l expect there will be many change's along the way, you can be sure of that, but it's a new venture and something different, also l have a few white metal kit's of horse drawn cart's etc, so l will using them at last....

Edited by georgeT
  • Like 5

44 minutes ago, georgeT said:

Thanks buddy the good thing is there is not a lot of ballasting to do thankfully, as for a track plan l will have to draw one out as l cant draw one on the computer as you do....

I use Windows Paint for my Track Plans, will any areas be cobbles? 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Deano747 said:

Looking good, George. Will be following with interest. Ballast looks good, where did that come from??

Regards, Deano.

Hi Deano, l bought it from green scenes, and its oo gauge....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good to know.

I plan on using the air brush for mine. ( My good lady Lez bought it for spray painting cakes (!) but she has kindly donating it to me for railway use. Works fine after trying it on my wagons at the weekend)

Cheers, Ade.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

Good to know.

I plan on using the air brush for mine. ( My good lady Lez bought it for spray painting cakes (!) but she has kindly donating it to me for railway use. Works fine after trying it on my wagons at the weekend)

Cheers, Ade.

Great new's Ade, l wouldn't be without mine l use it for all the painting enamel / acrylic whatever, just need's practice like everything, well worth the effort, your wagon's look good BTW...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, georgeT said:

Thanks buddy the good thing is there is not a lot of ballasting to do thankfully, as for a track plan l will have to draw one out as l cant draw one on the computer as you do....

Nothing wrong at all with a hand-drawn trackplan! I much prefer them and still use a sketchpad for all my planning. It may be seen as old fashioned by many but I really enjoy it and derive a great deal of satisfaction from doodling away.

You're obviously making rapid progress. That trackwork looks super and the ballasting is very neat and tidy :good_mini:

• Thanks 1

Getting on with the messy job of ballasting one job l hate, but it has to be done, glad to say there will be a large cobbled area, once all is dry l will try to put some cosmetic chairs in place on the track we'll see....the track plan is a drawn out effort, but it give's an idea of what 'Abbot's Mead' is all about.....

DSC05015.JPG

DSC05016.JPG

DSC05017.JPG

DSC05018.JPG

DSC05019.JPG

DSC05020.JPG

• Like 7

6 hours ago, south_tyne said:

Nothing wrong at all with a hand-drawn trackplan! I much prefer them and still use a sketchpad for all my planning. It may be seen as old fashioned by many but I really enjoy it and derive a great deal of satisfaction from doodling away.

You're obviously making rapid progress. That trackwork looks super and the ballasting is very neat and tidy :good_mini:

Morning David, Thanks l really hate ballasting but its done now, day off now until it all dries out, l rarely draw plans as l like to see where it leads me using the track l have sometimes it works and some don't :mad: Hahahaha

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 minute ago, georgeT said:

Morning David, Thanks l really hate ballasting but its done now, day off now until it all dries out, l rarely draw plans as l like to see where it leads me using the track l have sometimes it works and some don't :mad: Hahahaha

Well I still think 1:1 planning is the best approach and it is sometimes good just to let things evolve naturally. It means you can appreciate things in 3d and how sightlines work, rather than just looking at it on paper. 

I don't know of anyone who likes ballasting, but it is a good job to get over and done with. You're making rapid progress! 

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, south_tyne said:

Well I still think 1:1 planning is the best approach and it is sometimes good just to let things evolve naturally. It means you can appreciate things in 3d and how sightlines work, rather than just looking at it on paper. 

I don't know of anyone who likes ballasting, but it is a good job to get over and done with. You're making rapid progress! 

Hello David, I have always built from my head and not plans, be it a building or a layout plus l always try to include track or two for possible  extensions, if l were to make 'Abbots Mead' for exhibitions  l could always add an extra board or two, l remember l gave Bodgit a 6ft x 1ft baseboard a few years back and he built 'Deesdale Road' and it ended up about 25ft long,8 l think PeterBB now owns it and  still takes it to exhibitions ?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, georgeT said:

plus l always try to include track or two for possible  extensions, if l were to make 'Abbots Mead' for exhibitions  l could always add an extra board or two

I think that's a really good idea. Particularly if you have limited space to set up a layout at home but want to offer an extended scheme when at an exhibition. I only have 7' available at home, which is one of the reasons I am following your little project so closely to see what is possible. It's very inspirational! 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice to know you are following David, haven't got a clue where l am going with it as it grows everyday, and it surprises me sometimes Hahaha all l know is l have a trolly bus l built a while back, a few white metal kits of horse and wagons to build and some ideas in my head for some brewery style buildings and warehouses and loads of cobble stones.....

• Like 3

Morning Ade,   l always start from the bottom up, making sure all the electrics work first, then l have a little play to see everything work's out,  then l apply the ballast  neatly as l can, then l apply the glue (PVA 50/50 with water with a dash of fairy liquid added) that's after giving the track a good spray of water (also with a drop of fairy), when dry l check every sleeper and fill in any gaps, and then when that's all dry l airbrush to the finish l require, Job done, also l never paint the rail side's, just use the airbrush...

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Having tried your method, and that of others on the Bay on Bala Town, I reverted back to my preferred method of doing the Rail sides first.

Each to their own I guess, but I have to say, I was impressed by the finish on Grundy Street mate.

Time for more pics soon I think!:taunt:

• Thanks 1