'Abbot's Mead'

georgeT

George,

I have a few making their way through the paint shop at the moment. I will bring one that is finished to the next High Lane meeting.  I am also working on the modified Connoisseur MACAW H but keeping it under wraps for now in case it turns in to a disaster. I can pretend it didn't happen then! Because of the modifications the supplied bolsters will be too short. So I will be making molds to make fresh ones. At the same time I will remake the molds for the brake cylinders to see if I can get a better dome on them - then you can have some.

Ian.

• RMweb Premium

George that point work looks super. I'm still trying to settle on a plan that will give me some shunting to do, not take up too much room and not at least stand a microscopic chance of be exhibited. I'm just back from a few weeks away so have a lot (of RMweb) to catch up with. Any chance you could outline the components the points take?

It looks like balsawood sleepers. You've mentioned Peco chairs so that just leaves the rail itself if I understand correctly have you a preferred supplier for that?

I was thinking of using PCB sleepers and solder construction but your points are seriously making me change my mind.

Hello Ray, Thank's for the kind word's, l went down the road with copper-clad sleeper's with soldered track, yes they are a lot easier to construct but they look sh** with no chair's even with trying to fit cosmetic chair's which take's forever, so instead l bought from Peco some 124 bull head rail £13 for six 36" long length's, and a few boxes of their chair's (£5 per 100) and some slide chair's, some 3mm plywood sheet's (£1 each) that were then cut into 5mm and 7mm strip's, l even made the Vee out of scrap rail, easy and cost about £15 per point, l already had some C&L template's, l have been showing my mate lan Hallworth how to do this and this is his FIRST one, cracking job, so go for it Ray you will never pay over £50 per point again, my nexy project is to make a double-slip, should be fun. good luck buddy.....

DSC05642.JPG

DSC05643.JPG

DSC05644.JPG

DSC05645.JPG

DSC05647.JPG

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

14 hours ago, Regularity said:

Nice work.

What size is the layout?

Hello Buddy the size is 7' x 1'6" agreed  small but enough to play with shunting a few wagons around...

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the info George, much appreciated.

I'll investigate sourcing the components from my favoured local - relatively - model shop and maybe have a go. They do look amazing although whether they'll look so crisp once they weathered could be something else. There's a certain thing about pristine conditions that automatically draws the item to you.

I've just had a look at your track plan/layout size. That's the kind of size that I was thinking of.

I'll keep you posted. Thanks once again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Hello Andy, ln answer to your question is not a lot as l have been very busy building all the buildings for Marks garden project, also l have been buying some OO gauge for another project of mine, plus have bought some of the new track from Peco with correctly spaced sleepers and bullhead track and must say its really good even the fishplates have 4 bolts on them and are very small...also the frogs are live all the time so no need to modify them...

DSC06025.JPG

DSC06026.JPG

DSC06027.JPG

DSC06024.JPG

DSC06028.JPG

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

Evening George,

Has there been any further progress on Abbot's Mead? A crazy impulse buy will see me collect several O Gauge wagons on Friday. A decision on an appropriate loco is being mulled over. It will be some time, ok some considerable time, before a layout gets built as I really need to make some progress on my OO layout but the Abbots Mead track plan looks perfect for what I envisage doing eventually with my new purchase.

Thanks,

PJ10

Hello PJ10, The only progress on 'Abbots Mead' was to bin the lot and sell the track on, l never seem to keep the interest going on layouts as l get bored to easily, my main interest is building locos and wagons in O gauge....

PS, You wont regret the switch to O gauge, steam or diesel eras...

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi.

Sorry to hear about that but you have to follow your interests. As for switching, well its more of a slight distraction than a full switch. At least that's the plan (?!) but I wonder how many others said that when they bought their first O gauge wagon(s) or kit(s). :o

Cheers.

PJ10 

• Like 1