Wm. C. Boggs and Son

MarcD

I have two 900mm x 400mm and 4 brand new peco short points, and I'm not sure where I should go. I have three ideas.

Idea 1: Small iron ore mine. Using two points. Based on a pit in the Furness Ore Field near Askam-in-Furness. Loading ore wagons

Idea 2: Small factory. Using all the points

Idea 3: Goods/Coal yard with a surprise level crossing. Based on White Swan Yard in Great Yarmouth

I don't have any preference of which one to go for. So any suggestions  would be helpful.

Marc

Empty Boards.jpg

Idea 1 mine.jpg

Idea 2 Factory 1.jpg

Idea 2 Factory 3.jpg

Idea 2 Factory 2a.jpg

• Like 6

Marc,

Pleased to see you embarking on this project. I will be following with great interest as I had almost an identical space available and have had similar thoughts around a scheme using those Peco setrack turnouts. 

Personally, I really like the White Swan Yard prototype. No doubt you will have seen the layout in the GOG's first small layout booklet based on this. Will you be able to fit that trackplan into the space you have available? I would imagine the location of the baseboard joint will be a critical factor. 

Having said that, any of your ideas would be very interesting. I think the iron ore proposal would also be fascinating and would certainly be a little more unique. It's not a prototype you often see modelled. 

The baseboards look like laser-cut kits  of you don't mind me asking, who are they produced by? They look fantastic. 

Cheers,

David

1 hour ago, south_tyne said:

The baseboards look like laser-cut kits  of you don't mind me asking, who are they produced by? They look fantastic. 

The makers name is laser-etched onto the boards in the photos!

Dave

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

The base boards are from grainge and holder. Very quick and easy to put together. I was going to use them for a scale 7project but there is not sufficient room to get your hand in for 3 link coupling so that one will need some hand built boards. So in the mean time. 

The inglenook I think is the way forward as other wise it's going to look cluttered. 

The mine option also allows me to run North Eastern stock as the mines in North Yorkshire were very similar.

The yard option allows me to run what ever loco I have as long as the wagons match the location. As does the factory.

The buildings I have don't really work with the space I don't think. Unless I installed a wagon turntable. But then you get the question of can you run a loco over a wagon turntable?

Marc

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, daifly said:

The makers name is laser-etched onto the boards in the photos!

Dave

Ooops sorry, what a muppet I am :blush: in my defence, I was viewing on my phone so it is difficult to spot! 

3 hours ago, hartleymartin said:

996560752_ScreenShot2019-02-10at7_24_24pm.png.e6073114ba54f937fb1576b91aaa5154.png

I think this would make a great little layout for O gauge using Peco Set-track points, but you will have to do some trimming to make them fit:

White_Swan_Yard_Peco_O_Set_Track.png.ced018aaf70bbc21b26ba3476499c841.png

That's the one Martin - it's a cracking little plan. I think it makes a smashing layout and a little different to the standard inglenook design, obviously with the added bonus of a run-round loop to increase operational potential. With the two sidings, there are plenty of 'spots' to shunt and you could utilise a card system for shunting and placing wagons. Your advice about trimming those setrack points is a useful space saving tip! 

26 minutes ago, Furness Wagon said:

The base boards are from grainge and holder. Very quick and easy to put together. I was going to use them for a scale 7project but there is not sufficient room to get your hand in for 3 link coupling so that one will need some hand built boards. So in the mean time. 

The inglenook I think is the way forward as other wise it's going to look cluttered. 

The mine option also allows me to run North Eastern stock as the mines in North Yorkshire were very similar.

The yard option allows me to run what ever loco I have as long as the wagons match the location. As does the factory.

The buildings I have don't really work with the space I don't think. Unless I installed a wagon turntable. But then you get the question of can you run a loco over a wagon turntable?

Marc

Thanks Marc. The baseboards look absolutely smashing. 

The inglenook sounds like a good plan and as ever it has lots of operating potential. The option for modelling the North Yorkshire ironstone mines sounds very interesting. Presumably it would be based on a prototype set in the Cleveland Hills? What kind of era are you basing the layout in? 

The advantage of a factory setting is that it would probably offer the chance to run a wider variety of rolling stock. Obviously it depends on what the factory produces but if it was an engineering firm or a food/drink manufacturer (chocolate or beer anyone!?) then there would be chance to run a variety of vans and open wagons to move the raw materials and the finished product. Then there would be a requirement for coal for power and heat etc, so it could be very varied. It would also offer the chance to be more flexible with regard to era, location and what the finished product of the factory is - it means you could have a number of different operating sessions where you could change stock to suit. I quite like the buildings you have, although you may have to shuffle them about to look at various options for best placement - that's a major advantage of planning at 1:1 scale and in 3d, where you can see how things work in reality rather than just on paper! A wagon turntable would offer some interest, both visually and operationally, particularly if you can get it to work! I have seen it done before, even in 4mm scale, with clever use of hand shunting to draw wagons into factory buildings once manaouvered on the turntable. 

Anyway, just some of my waffling thoughts. Really interesting little project.

Cheers,

David

Another variation on the Inglenook. You need to trim the point on the left-hand board to make it fit, but if you stick to small 9ft wheelbase wagons and an industrial loco, it should work in the space you have.

Set-Track-Inglenook-O-Gauge.png.971601fa4e10e91082f13bc4aa78c78a.png

I am pretty sure you can get "Wild Swan Yard" into the space you have. It will be a matter of deciding on siding lengths and clearances. You will most certainly have to trim all the points to make it all fit. Just remember that there is about an inch of plain track beyond the switch blades which gives you a little extra room. It is all about making sure that everything fits "just so" to make it work in a micro-layout.

Edited by hartleymartin
  • Like 2

My hand was forced and I have made a decision. And before anyone says anything I have had a sit down and a cup of tea to get over the shock. I have found a card building kit for a factory "W.C. Boggs and Son Sanitary Ware Manufacturers".  If you Google WC Boggs you find its also the name of the factory in Carry on at you Convenience.

As for the track plan I'm going to use the attached plan from the GOG small layouts book 1. Not sure how buildings re going fit so things might need a bit of a giggle. Also i need to work out the traverser as it  might mean I need to raise the track level to get it to work.

As for a name it has to be "Wm. C. Boggs and Son".

Marc 

micro layout.jpg

• Like 9

• MarcD changed the title to Wm. C. Bogg and Son formally Un-named Micro Layout

A bit of a squeeze on 90cm x 40cm baseboards, but you can certainly manage it. On this plan the left-hand point on the top-left will need the curved diverging road trimmed by about 80mm, and a peace set-track curve trimmed a similar amount, or flex-track used. Of course, the top-right left-handed point can also be trimmed, but I think that the little extra length may prove useful in this scenario.

I cannot help but think that a wye-point of matching radius would be a useful addition to the range (hint, hint, Peco!)

un-named_micro.png.713e74805a18f79a72cd7ba042b3d311.png

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 09/04/2019 at 08:17, Furness Wagon said:

Marc 

Yes you could run a small 0-6-0 or a small 0-4-0 over the wagon turntable.

I agree with your early comment that the pelmet is too low for 7mm.

An alternative source of lase cut base board kits is Tim Horn - https://timhorn.co.uk/

Gordon A

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, hartleymartin said:

A bit of a squeeze on 90cm x 40cm baseboards, but you can certainly manage it

Just passing this way and saw your plan.  Don't think it fits?  The ST725 does not mate with the point!  Maybe there is another bit that does?

3 minutes ago, imt said:

Just passing this way and saw your plan.  Don't think it fits?  The ST725 does not mate with the point!  Maybe there is another bit that does?

The placement reflects what happens when you trim about 80mm off the diverging road and a similar amount on the curved set-track piece, as noted in my post. Unfortunately, my track-planning software doesn't allow me to do the trimming digitally.

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, hartleymartin said:

The placement reflects what happens when you trim about 80mm off the diverging road

I thought I should mind my own business!  I had similar problems on my layout mixing Peco SetTrack and Streamline - fortunately my package lets me create fillets and stick them in.  Good luck with your project.

I have ordered 4 set track curves which should be here by the end of the week, so the flexi track will just be used for straights. Behind the low relief buildings on the right hand side will have a cassette that can be fed through the end. It's big enough for 3x16ft long wagons and a loco he size of a terrier.

The tube will be a storage tank.

As for the point work should only have to be trimmed as it crosses the board joint and to allow the frogs to be polarised for DCC operations.

Also I'm using a right hand point instead of the left for the kick back siding.

Marc

IMG_20190422_155612615.jpg

• Like 4

727092732_boggsandsonmockup.jpg.10da216873d2fa66a346ae9aaa827bab.jpgI have now got the factory building kits and the curves so I have got a bit further with the mock up. Still not sure about the building on the right hand side that will cover the cassette. I think is needs to be twice as high. Also I'm thinking that a bridge of some sort to brake up the entry to the cassette?

Other options on the buildings on the right hand side could be a tank farm of some sort  or a bottle kiln and associated buildings.

Marc

Edited by Furness Wagon
not the correct photo
  • Like 3

I would like to have everything self contained with in the boards if possible as there is limited space in both the workshop and in the car if and when I hit the road with it. 

If I cut the scenic area back to the 1200mm line and just have the fiddle yard open the problem does actually go away. 

The mine option did require a cassette external to the boards and that was one of the reasons it was discounted.

Marc