Wm. C. Boggs and Son

MarcD

Marc,

In my view, I would stick to using industrial buildings to mask the cassette, rather than an overbridge. I feel the latter may be a little contrived, as if it is being shoehorned in solely for that purpose (which clearly it would be!). 

I also agree with your logic and desire to keep everything contained withinthe two baseboards. I think as soon as you start having extra little bits and extensions then it complicates matters and, very personally from my own experiences, means it more likely the project will be abandoned. 

Those warehouse buildings really look the part and help to bring the proposed scheme to life. 

David

Well I have been playing with a few ideas on the buildings in front of the cassette. I can't get anything to really work so I'm going to go back to the original plan from the book. IE no buildings IE The last 600mm.

So I'm going to install some arches as the scenic brake. 

Not sure if the siding  will go through as well.

Marc

This is the latest mock up. I have used the goods shed/covered loading facility to hide the entrance to the fiddle yard so I don't need any arches.  what do people think?

Marc

view1 may 2019.jpg

view 2 may 2019.jpg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

I have decided to ditch the goods shed as it takes up to much room. I have also reversed the layout so that the fiddle yard is on the left hand side as you look at it. The problem of hiding the entrance to the fiddle yard still exists.  Any suggestions of away to create an industrial scenic brake would be welcomed.

Marc  

• Friendly/supportive 1

Industrial layout - a pipe gantry of some sort. Locomotive water tower on top of a brick base.

A water tower similar to the one on Boxer Bay Railway would fit the bill: http://boxerbayrailway.blogspot.com/2017/09/

His is a skytrex kit. There are three different water towers you might want to consider: https://www.ogauge.co.uk/58-water-cranes-tanks-and-towers

Edited by hartleymartin
  • Agree 1

I have a water tower top in the spares box. A brick base  and pipe work running across to the buildings on the other side of the line. there is also a nice one on the Lcut website which might be halved in length.

Marc

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The latest version of the layout. The building on the left is the base for the water tower. The white blocks on the right are the cover boxes that some 3D printed parts came in.

I haven't started to cut track yet as I'm still not sure if I'm going to use my lenz DCC to operate the points or mechanical blue actuators.

Marc

IMG_20190714_221448904.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Well I suppose an update on progress would be good.  Unfortunately there has been very little. The layout's progress stalled with Covid and with the postponement of the competition last year My Mojo disappeared with it. Hopefully I have  solved the dingham coupling issue by designing some larger hoops and there is a bit more stock built. But that's about to change this afternoon I was told that the show is back on for September 4/5th of this year subject to another round of the plague so I will have to sort things out now. 

Jobs that need to tackled are

• Buildings need to be placed and attached in their final positions
  • Lights in the yard and off the buildings so I can turn the main lights off 
  • Back scene needs some attention on the right hand side
  • exit needs to be cut in the right hand side and a small cassette board needs making
  • scenic details need adding
  • picture frame needs adding

Marc

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Well GuildEx 21 has been cancelled again so when we will be getting the layout out on the road is Cristal ball gazing. Hopefully GuildEx 22 will be second time lucky.

Marc

• Friendly/supportive 3

• 3 months later...

With less than 2 weeks before Furness Model show. I have been tidying things up and adding a few things since it's last outing in 2019. I still have a few things I want to do before the competition next September.

Marc

IMG_20210927_160901024~2.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Good to be back on the circuit again another great show from the Furness Model Railway club team. it was great to operate for 2 days you find out all sorts of niggles. The couplings need redesigned before its next outing.

Marc

barrow 2021.jpg

• Like 8

• MarcD changed the title to Wm. C. Boggs and Son
  • 1 year later...

W.C. Boggs is on the road again. It will be appearing at the Manchester MRC show in December and the Kendal MRC show in January. I hoping to run as London one and Carlisle the next so I can use the maximum amount of different stock.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

W C Boggs was out and about over the weekend at Manchester model railway show. A great week end and big thanks to Phil Sweat and his team.

It wa a great weekend apart from braking the slide bars on my M/W 0-4-0st.

IMG_20231209_095351.jpg.e50cbe35824b2f462820ff30a175f537.jpgIMG_20231209_095359.jpg.0a3f8a98b8441d794c611c3d79209a28.jpg

IMG_20231209_095405.jpg.8876a5804b7abcc5aaf463f4d4c2c36d.jpg

A month before we go again. It next outing is Kendal show at the end of January.

• Like 11