8 x 2 light railway somewhere down south west

ossygobbin

started on my light railway as i have stalled on my GWR BLT.

track plan is based on wantage. there will be a dairy and china clay sheds.

the station will be a shed type with open front, max train lengths are 24".

there is a 2 track fiddle yard behind the clay shed.

track is peco with shortened setrack points

here are some pics with mock ups.

P4090001.JPG

P4090003.JPG

P4090004.JPG

P4090005.JPG

P4090006.JPG

P4090009.JPG

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Your light railway will be much more fun than a GWR 'BLT', especially with that rather tasty Beattie Well Tank & train of hoods to run. Wenford meets Wantage? Keep going!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

40 minutes ago, hartleymartin said:

I'd like to know exactly how much you trimmed the points. Working from the plans, I've estimated that about 80-85mm off the diverging end should just about do the trick.

here is a pic you should be able to work it out.

i am getting a bit peed with the fact that they are unimog and not electrofrog. do you know how to convert them easily ?. dont suppose you have a spare RH you dont need 

P4090001.JPG

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

There is a little wire that runs to the tip of the unifrog. Wire that up the same way you would an electrofrog point.

If it is the same as the Unifrog points I have had in OO gauge, you don't need to use insulated rail joiners, but the points are no longer self-isolating. You will need insulated rail joiners to created isolating sections.

Edited by hartleymartin
  • Agree 1

I bet that just as the layout is getting finished, Peco will do something useful like release a Y point in the set-track range.

I am guessing that this is roughly the arrangement of the layout, though my software doesn't draw trimmed points. (Also ignore the dimensions in the diagram)

New_Layout_01.png.0456f680302890f30e4c1a00a13182f6.png

• RMweb Premium

"I bet that just as the layout is getting finished, Peco will do something useful like release a Y point in the set-track range."

A compact 3-way point would be even more useful! They did occur on light & industrial lines, including the Derwent Valley. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, hartleymartin said:

I bet that just as the layout is getting finished, Peco will do something useful like release a Y point in the set-track range.

I am guessing that this is roughly the arrangement of the layout, though my software doesn't draw trimmed points. (Also ignore the dimensions in the diagram)

New_Layout_01.png.0456f680302890f30e4c1a00a13182f6.png

near enough yeah, only the points are setrack and the siding lengths are not like that.

Edited by ossygobbin

On 09/04/2019 at 18:44, ossygobbin said:

here is a pic you should be able to work it out.

i am getting a bit peed with the fact that they are unimog and not electrofrog. do you know how to convert them easily ?. dont suppose you have a spare RH you dont need 

P4090001.JPG

Thanks for posting that, it is really useful. Those long lead tracks have some what put me off the setrack points but it is great to know that you can trim them as you have done. I haven't seen one in real life yet mind. They look far more realistic for doing that modification and will obviously help to bring the track centres closer together and save on the length taken up when back to back. 

If you don't mind me asking, by how much have you managed to trim the points by carrying that modification out? Is it roughly what Martin has estimated above?

Cheers,

David 

7 minutes ago, south_tyne said:

Thanks for posting that, it is really useful. Those long lead tracks have some what put me off the setrack points but it is great to know that you can trim them as you have done. I haven't seen one in real life yet mind. They look far more realistic for doing that modification and will obviously help to bring the track centres closer together and save on the length taken up when back to back. 

If you don't mind me asking, by how much have you managed to trim the points by carrying that modification out? Is it roughly what Martin has estimated above?

Cheers,

David 

hi david, its about 80mm on each leg

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/04/2019 at 17:18, Dava said:

"I bet that just as the layout is getting finished, Peco will do something useful like release a Y point in the set-track range."

A compact 3-way point would be even more useful! They did occur on light & industrial lines, including the Derwent Valley. 

what a good idea. as you say great for industrial modelling it would make building small layouts easier but watch someone complain that they can't run Mk1 coaches and an A3 over them.

Marc

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

I'm sure there are going to be complaints about the Peco O gauge set-track and the fact that the pacific locos can't run at 120mph around them with a rank of 11 coaches. 

Rule No.1 of model railways still applies, but if you don't have room to run your Flying Scotsman set, maybe you either get smaller trains (i.e. tank engines and 4-wheelers) or a bigger layout room.

Edited by hartleymartin
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

decided to move the layout downstairs as its easier to work on.done a bit of track laying, just waiting for a RH point to arrive.

bought another skytrex clay hood. was to nice to stay indoors yesterday so had a run on the SM32 garden layout.

P5010002.JPG

P5010003.JPG

P5010008.JPG

P4300002.JPG

P4300004.JPG

• Like 7

1 hour ago, hartleymartin said:

I've noticed that you have used insulated fishplates. The new points are uni-frog and do not require them, though if you want to have isolating sections for DC Analogue control you do need them.

exactly

here is the diagram peco sent me

001.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...