Carlingford, NSW, Australia

hartleymartin

Carlingford these days is a suburb of the Sydney Metropolitan Region, but when the railway line was first built there it was a rural branch line terminus. The line was started in 1888 and the terminus at Carlingford (then called Pennant Hills) was opened in 1896. The line was originally two private railway companies, but in 1896 the banks took ownership, the line was bought by the NSW Colonial Government and came under the jurisdiction of the NSW Government Railways. Services commenced under government ownership on 1 August 1900.

Carlingford was originally just a run-around loop. Strangely, the platform was on the loop, and to this day there is a small "joggle" at the end of the line which hints at its past. A 280-foot dead-end siding was added around 1901/02 and at the far end was the Farmer's Co-operative building. That building is still there today and is a produce store. There are still signs of the grain loading facilities, but these have been disused for many years. The original station building is long gone.

Note in the background of this first picture how the railway line immediately runs into a cutting with a road bridge. With only slight compression, the whole scene can be done in 14 feet length. This image is suggested to be from 1900, but the siding on the right was not laid until late 1901 and opened in 1902. It is almost certainly before 1924 when the locomotives were all re-numbered under a new class system, and I am inclined to believe that it is after 1904, when the Manning Wardles were re-allocated to the Yass Tramway.

233dc901118c4b73a95d621ad47057ce.jpg.d301985781ca8d634775c374e503e03a.jpg

827636792_CarlingfordSignalDiagram.jpg.a3dfdc18d956a401814f5a3d83a30a3d.jpg

Edited by hartleymartin
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2

However, I am looking at modelling the line circa 1901-1904, when it was worked by a pair of Manning Wardle K class locomotives. These were originally used from 1884 to work the Camden Line and originally numbered 292 and 293. In 1901 they were re-numbered 532 and 533 and allocated to Carlingford. From 1904 to 1907 they were allocated to the Yass Tramway. The two locos were sold into private/industrial use in 1909, cannibalised into one loco in 1927 and finished its days named "Rat" at the Port Kembla steel works where it was scrapped in 1934. I intend to use the Minerva K Class Manning Wardle as the basis for this locomotive. It will require a modified (widened) cab sheet, lengthened chimney and changes to the brake rigging.

Photo from State Rail Archive, Photo is believed to be from late 1884.

17420_a014_a014000358.jpg.b6c697cebdb3f5cb9bb1184d6d4f15c1.jpg

In this era (1901-1904) there was a single type of carriage allocated to the line, a KA tramcar, which in English practice would be called a "composite brake" with 1st and 2nd class accomodation as well as a guard's compartment which carried parcels and small goods. There is a ruling grade of 1 in 37 on the "Down" (towards Carlingford) direction, and the load limit was just 3 four-wheeled goods vehicles plus the "tramcar" towards Carlingford and 6 goods vehicles plus tram-car heading in the "Up" (towards Clyde and thence to Sydney) direction. The goods siding in theory could hold up to 14 goods vehicles, but I doubt that it ever reached anywhere near capacity in this era, as it would take 5 full drop-offs to reach it. Any photo I have ever seen has only had three or four vehicles in that goods siding at any one time. The KA Tramcar design dates from the 1880s and was used on the Camden Line, Carlingford Line and the Yass Tramway. They were used until 1917 at Camden, but I don't know what happened after that. One of these tram cars survived until 1993 in preservation until it was sadly destroyed in the arson attack at the Parramatta Park Tramway Museum. I only know basic details off the top of my head, but I do know of a book which contains further details. I know that detailed construction drawings and diagrams exist and the plan is to scratch-build one of these.

180932413_CarriageNSWGRKACropped.png.7998ae6f96e7899e65fa2b67a55df41d.png

Edited by hartleymartin
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Now, to explain the layout. Here is a preliminary drawing for Carlingford Station, based on the 1918 Signalling Diagram (the siding was added around 1901-1902). Layout scenic section is 12ft x 2ft with a 4ft long fiddle-yard module. Layout is selectively compressed, in anticipation that the maximum train length will be the K-class, 3x four-wheel goods vehicles plus the KA Tramcar. Some provision will be made for a later era to be represented using the Z20 and C13 classes of tank-engine hauling a two-carriage set. The C13 is just about to be released as a kit, and the Z20 may be released later this year.

Carlingford_1918.png.36d812481ef7e4546d2a215f6d0171d3.png

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

I already have some goods vehicles approximated from British 7mm scale kits. I won't be able to model any of these until the release of this book (expected June 2019). It contains 85 drawings and information which should allow me to model most goods wagon types suitable to my intended era. Some preliminary research suggests that I may be able to adapt a kit of the LV type van to an earlier type introduced around 1899 largely by modelling an earlier form of the under frame. It seems that the basic body design didn't change much, but they god upgraded under frames as time went on.

goods-wagons-of-nsw-railways-jacket-new-brown-and-yellow-cmyk-mag-advert.jpg.992e20136885afb168a60c441aa995a6.jpg

https://arhsnsw.com.au/product/goods-wagons-of-the-nsw-railways-1855-1905-pre-sale/

• Like 1

This picture shows loading of fruit at Carlingford, believed to be from 1923. The locomotive and carriages are certainly from about this era. I am uncertain of the type of louvred van used here. It is probably converted from another type. The Goods rolling stock book should give me the answers in a couple of months when I can obtain a copy. The open truck appears to be a 4-plank D wagon. D wagons were a rather eclectic collection of designs, ranging from a 3-plank drop-side wagon from the 1850s to 3, 4 and 5-plank open trucks with side-doors. Most had timber under frames, but in later days many had composite under frame construction with metal sole bars and timber buffer-beams. I have adapted a 4-plank open wagon from a Parkside Dundas kit to represent one of this type, and I have used a 3-plank drop-side wagon from slaters as well, though the brake rigging is not correct. Again, something I will only be able to correct once I have access to the Goods rolling stock book.

It is worth taking note of the back-ground. Low hills with lines of very European-looking trees (conifers, pines?) Considerably more rural than today with suburban housing and now a number of medium-rise buildings in the area.

Loading_fruit__Carlingford_1923..jpg.a91c1e8c0bd4fff28e985518d8205ffd.jpg

Whilst the motive power for the line from 1901-1904 was the K-class Manning Wardle locomotives, I also have under way a project to build an N67 class "Australian Terrier" This was a class of 8 locomotives built to the same general arrangement drawings as the A1 Stroudley Terrier class, but differed in a number of features. The tanks were longer, the cab was very different (larger and open-sided) and the bunker was larger. Comparing a Dapol RTR model to the diagrams that I have, it also appears that the footplate was slightly longer, and much deeper plate frames were used. These locomotives are actually older than the Manning Wardles, and I sometimes wonder why they were not used at Carlingford. The 4'0" driving wheels were found to give an insufficient top speed on suburban service, so the class were relegated to shunting duties. Similarly, the R285 Class (later Z18) had the same problem with an insufficient top speed. I also have one of those under construction.

Edited by hartleymartin
  • Like 4

There are some pictures on NSWrail.net of Carlingford, though most are from much later than the era I intend to model.

https://www.nswrail.net/locations/show.php?name=NSW:Carlingford

The picture shows a view somewhat comparable to the first post in this thread. The bridge is now a steel frame type, though in the same location. The brick portion of the platform I believe is the original length, though the early photos show what appears to be a timber platform front. The platform was extended at some time in the 1950s to accomodate 4-car electric sets. The line was electrified in 1959.

carlingford20.jpg.c001dec7b85c8afd6fd96c4c70a74abf.jpg

This view from1968 shows the extended platform. the platform originally ended in line with the two catch-points protecting the main. Note the original station building on the right, and how the Farmer's Co-op store has expanded considerably since its early days. I don't have any images showing the original co-op building from ca 1902-1910, but I would love to get my hands on some. This image is taken from the foot-path on the road bridge which conveniently forms a nice scenic break.

Copyright for this image belongs to Richard Felstead:

carlingford10.jpg.23d3de8a86ca3df364054ae9434c2a74.jpg

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

I cannot seem to get a clear image of the station building. This is the closest I have managed this far:

This image came from http://jamesrusepioneers.homestead.com/Steam-Train-.html

2008-07-01_11-30-29_0101.jpg.b13454a275ed07e4735f636881c3e98f.jpg

As you can see from this picture, the original platform ended in line with the catch-points. I suspect I may obtain drawings either from the Australian Railway Historical Society archive or the former State Rail Archives. Image is definitely post-1959 with the presence of the extended platform and the overhead wiring for working electric car sets.

• Like 2

What a fascinating project Martin. I am really interested in Australian railways, after spending a fantastic time in the country a few years ago, I loved my visit to Sydney and NSW so will really enjoy following as you progress with this. I must admit my knowledge of the prototype is rather superficial, however, I know what I like, and I like the look of this! 

It's a great, simple trackplan but it is the epitome of a rural station. You have obviously already done a good deal of research and groundwork. 

I was intrigued about the rolling stock but from your explanation it is obviously a case of adapting UK prototype lots to suit the NSW setting. I presume there is a very limited market for kits in 7mm scale for Australian railways? Thankfully the Minerva Manning Wardle should offer a good starting point for your loco.

Really looking forward to following this one and I have enjoyed those prototype shots.... keep them coming!

Cheers,

David

4 hours ago, south_tyne said:

What a fascinating project Martin. I am really interested in Australian railways, after spending a fantastic time in the country a few years ago, I loved my visit to Sydney and NSW so will really enjoy following as you progress with this. I must admit my knowledge of the prototype is rather superficial, however, I know what I like, and I like the look of this! 

It's a great, simple trackplan but it is the epitome of a rural station. You have obviously already done a good deal of research and groundwork. 

I was intrigued about the rolling stock but from your explanation it is obviously a case of adapting UK prototype lots to suit the NSW setting. I presume there is a very limited market for kits in 7mm scale for Australian railways? Thankfully the Minerva Manning Wardle should offer a good starting point for your loco.

Really looking forward to following this one and I have enjoyed those prototype shots.... keep them coming!

Cheers,

David

There is a surprising amount available for NSW prototypes in 7mm scale. Emulated the problems the colonies had with break-of-gauge, Australia has a break-of-scale in O gauge, with 1:48 scale being used for Victorian Railways (5'3" broad gauge" with 32mm gauge track, 1:43 scale for NSWR standard gauge on 32mm gauge again, with the 2'6" Narrow gauge on 16.5mm track for the "Puffing Billy". Narrow gauge gets tricky what with On30/O-16.5 being a bit of a "rubber gauge" with 1:48, 1:43 or even 1:45 being used to variously represent 2'0" prototypes. There are a small number modelling On42, 1:48 scale 3'6" gauge prototypes. At one stage there was even a push for O-24.5 representing the same!

The main issue for modelling Australian O Gauge in modern fine-scale is that whilst there are a number of kits available, they tend to be small production runs, which means that they tend to be expensive when compared to British and American O gauge.

Our main supplier is now ModelOKits: https://modelokits.com which started out doing mostly line side, but bought the former Century Models, Waratah Models and O-Aust kits ranges. Bergs Hobbies does have some offerings in O gauge as well.

Most O gauge tends to represent the NSWR in the transitional era at the end of steam, circa 1950s-1970s. That said, there was a lot running around in the 1960s that had its origins in the 1890s, and many models can be back-dated.

This LV Louvred Van (we were really creative with wagon codes) kit represents the final form of the 4-wheel wagon as it would have appeared in the 1950s. However, the body design does date to circa 1900, and there have been articles on how to convert the HO model to represent an earlier iteration with a composite under frame. Again, it is one of those things where I need the goods wagon book to figure it out exactly:

983090878.jpg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

There is also a good potential to modify a number of slaters wagon kits, primarily the Midland Railway ones to resemble NSWGR prototypes. I have already used a 3-plank drop-side kit to represent one early variety of D wagon, and a Parkside Dundas 4-plank wagon kit to represent another variety of D-truck.

This is one branch line I did actually manage to visit as a teenager , even if it was straight in and out on a suburban electric. I remember the system map advertised spurs to Sandown and Goodyear, but I saw nothing of that.  (The Abbatoirs line was always a connection too far for someone on the upper North Shore)

My very faint recollection suggests that in the early 80s the station was much more like your 1968 view than the more recent "passenger siding" version.

If - and it's a very big if - anything were ever to come of the faint idea of "Currawong Heights" , a very minor branch in the foothills of the Blue Mountains somewhere behind Richmond/in the general vicinity of Bell's Line of Road, then the Carlingford plan and buildings would be a good basis.

But the only NSWGR stock I own is a Hornby-Lima 442 class and 2 Lima coaches in HO, which is not exactly very appropriate.... 

Watching this one with interest

Edited by Ravenser
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, hartleymartin said:

There is a surprising amount available for NSW prototypes in 7mm scale. Emulated the problems the colonies had with break-of-gauge, Australia has a break-of-scale in O gauge, with 1:48 scale being used for Victorian Railways (5'3" broad gauge" with 32mm gauge track, 1:43 scale for NSWR standard gauge on 32mm gauge again, with the 2'6" Narrow gauge on 16.5mm track for the "Puffing Billy". Narrow gauge gets tricky what with On30/O-16.5 being a bit of a "rubber gauge" with 1:48, 1:43 or even 1:45 being used to variously represent 2'0" prototypes. There are a small number modelling On42, 1:48 scale 3'6" gauge prototypes. At one stage there was even a push for O-24.5 representing the same!

The main issue for modelling Australian O Gauge in modern fine-scale is that whilst there are a number of kits available, they tend to be small production runs, which means that they tend to be expensive when compared to British and American O gauge.

Our main supplier is now ModelOKits: https://modelokits.com which started out doing mostly line side, but bought the former Century Models, Waratah Models and O-Aust kits ranges. Bergs Hobbies does have some offerings in O gauge as well.

Most O gauge tends to represent the NSWR in the transitional era at the end of steam, circa 1950s-1970s. That said, there was a lot running around in the 1960s that had its origins in the 1890s, and many models can be back-dated.

This LV Louvred Van (we were really creative with wagon codes) kit represents the final form of the 4-wheel wagon as it would have appeared in the 1950s. However, the body design does date to circa 1900, and there have been articles on how to convert the HO model to represent an earlier iteration with a composite under frame. Again, it is one of those things where I need the goods wagon book to figure it out exactly:

983090878.jpg

Thanks Martin, that's really useful. I hadn't realised there was such an extensive range available. It makes sense that prices are higher and that production runs are short, given the relatively limited market. Will have an impact on the wallet though! 

1 hour ago, south_tyne said:

Thanks Martin, that's really useful. I hadn't realised there was such an extensive range available. It makes sense that prices are higher and that production runs are short, given the relatively limited market. Will have an impact on the wallet though! 

Sure does. That said, the quality of the kits is such that you can produce a virtually museum-quality model from any given kit. About 15-20 years ago most Australian O gauge kits were a bit on the crude side, more scratch-aids at times than what you would think of as a "kit" in the UK. Certainly, no shake-the-box kind of kits. Early kits did not have locating tabs and tended to require a fair bit of fettling, filling and filing on the part of the builder. One one of these earlier kits I had to join two pieces of polyurethane casting for the roof, which sat between the wagon ends. This required a fair amount of filler, then shaping starting with a warding bastard file and eventually working my way down to 400-grit sandpaper. The latest kits are much better-designed and the TRC bogie van (too modern for this layout) was reviewed as requiring no filler or sanding at all.

The one good side to the older style of kits were that manufacturers would often sell 2nds of various castings for those wanting to do scratch-building. I turned a BHG into a 2-compartment HG body and I was able to buy up a lot of spare or rejected components which I could hack up into various bodies for things. Those days are gone, but I still have some of those components left (doors, windows, louvred panels, etc).

• 6 months later...
4 minutes ago, DavidB-AU said:

Get photos while you can. The Carlingford line north of Parramatta Road has been gazetted for closure from 5 January 2020 to become part of the Parramatta light rail network.

Cheers

David

Sure will. From comparing the two Aerial survey photos, I can confirm the only building from 1943 still there today is that produce store. Though, I wish I had taken more and better pictures last time I was there several years ago. That new tower is right in the way of some of the shots I would need!