Bachmann E-Z Command Control Centre And Powering Point Motors(More questions about point motors)

legofan60163

Hi all,

Sorry if this has been covered before and if it's not in the right section(first post on here!), but I have a E-Z command Control Centre. And I was wondering how, using it I could power point motors? Would I have to create a main bus? how does one do that? I'm working on my third layout (have one OO and had one N, now working on a new N) but both of my first two have had manual point control. I've sort of got fed up with having to reach across the board. I've been thinking about getting some of Peco PL26B Passing contact switches to actually change the point motor, but I have zero experience with point motors. I am running a DCC layout and will probably have 6-10 points motored( I can handle the rest)

Many Thanks in Advance

Legofan60163

Edited by legofan60163
added extra bit

As mentioned; the EZcontroller was a basic starter controller for DCC, and has no provision for accessory control (or locos numbered higher than 10  ... although the first DCC controllers only offered locos 1-8 8-) ... numbers may now be chosen in the range 1=9999  or more. Equally it power supply was only designed to run the controller/track with 1 controlled loco at a time.

At present, you are probably also walking all around your layout to change points and possibly open or  close crossing gates and set signals... returning all the time back to the ez controller to operate the loco.

You plan  using Peco point motors; - assuming you buy the more efficient (dcc friendly) type, to make the best use of them, you will need accessory decoders - which could be for a single point or crossover (as 1 address) or for 2 or 4 ('most common') or more!,, these can be from many makes, and SOME take their POWER from the dcc 'track'(/accessory bus) signal, whilst others use DC (12/24Vdc) or 12-16Vac to  operate them - only using the connected DCC for CONTROL ( NOT POWER!!)

As an example - the Train-Tech modules come in 2 sizes: 1 or 4 outputs. Both types use the track/accessory bus dcc for POWER BUT VIA a Capacitor for Energy storage: as these are both CAPACITOR DISCHARGE UNITS - which many consider the best method for solenoid operation. This makes wiring simple - just 2 dcc wires, and the 3 or 4x 3 to the controlled points. Simples.  (Programming is also by the fairly common method of pushing a learn button, and then sending a left or right command for the desired point number.  These units are also fairly compact - much smaller than many others - making them easier to hide in buildings etc if located on the top side of a layout.   I converted our entire H0 portable (40+ non-Peco points) these when they were released.The output numbers for each output may also be freely chosen -- unlike many - they do not have to be 'in sequence' in set blocks of 4!

(This allows you to include semaphore or colour light signals etc, in the 'sequence' without restrictions or gaps in numbering.

Thinking ahead  - before buying any new controller - I would recommend imagineering to see what accessories you may wish to add in future ... eg signals, crossings, points, uncouplers, etc etc, and whether you want freedom of movement around your layout whilst you operate 'from anywhere' -  Personally I would recommend looking at the cabled Multimaus from Roco/Fleischmann first - it can be done FREE by downloading an emulator from their website, or looking at youtube videos of the full Z21 -black or simplified z21 white ..[see www.z21.eu ] because these also use Expressnet to connect controllers ( as Lenz, Hornby, ZTC etc)  [ and Loconet with the Z/21 .. as used by more makes and Fleischmann ]  The Multimaus allows both Loco and Accessory control from the handset - with L/R graphical status display. A Wireless version is available for 85gbp (scograil) and mobile phones ad tablets can also be used with the Z/z21. The phone or tablet then allowing you to add a drawing or your layout, and operate the points by touch ....

A  lot to think about ... then hopefully 'buy once'  ,, perhaps keeping the EZ  controller for  test track of newly  purchased locos.

The power supply requirements will then be dictated and/or provide by your controller and or accessory modules.

Digikeijs.nl  website is then a useful site to view after the Z21,