Old Ynysybwl Halt

Hi Everyone.

Well after scrapping my previous layout this is my new one.

Currently doing research on this at the moment and if anyone has photos of it particularly the halt and buffer stop end I would be most grateful.

The model is my first attempt at a real location and mine will be slightly compressed.

It will be OO gauge.

More soon.

Jerry.

• Like 3

Hi Jerry,
I've seen a couple of photos of it, in books about railways in South Wales
Though for the life of me, I can't recall which books (as there are quite a few)
If I find out which ones in my collection contain said pics - I'll let you know which titles......

I'd like to see a model of the station - so hope you can make a start soon
Cheers
Marc

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

have you done a search on RMweb there is a few threads. 
'Halts as Termini' 
is one I remember 
also I am sure someone did an N gauge version  (possibly based on it rather than an exact representation) so there will be more info/photos in those threads? 
https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/search/&q=Ynysybwl

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

13 hours ago, Jerry1975 said:

Thanks Everyone for your replies and help etc, a start will be made on this very soon.

Does anyone know what was after the buffer stop, a bridge perhaps or was it more countryside/embankments?

Jerry.

I want to say I have seen a picture from the “other direction” it shows a road over bridge behind the buffer stop. Alas, I can’t find where I found

this image

• Informative/Useful 1

On ‎14‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 14:26, TonyA said:

I believe there are some photos of Ynysybwl in the Dick Riley Collection on Transport Treasury at https://www.transporttreasury.co.uk/page126.html

I have not seen them personally so I do not know how useful they will be.

Tony

Thanks Tony, but I couldn't access any of the photos which is a shame.

On ‎15‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 00:43, Ian Holmes said:

I want to say I have seen a picture from the “other direction” it shows a road over bridge behind the buffer stop. Alas, I can’t find where I found

this image

Thanks Ian, it would be great if you could find it.

Hi Everyone.

I have been quite busy this week and it was my birthday a couple of days ago, the good wife and mother in law bought me a nice train set so that will be another layout soon.

Back to this one, finding any photos of this is proving difficult on the internet apart from one or two, the research side has been very interesting though and enjoyable.

I just need to do a bit more before building commences.

Jerry.

• Like 1

There are a few photos taken way back by HC Casserley, including a head on shot , probably for the same train shown above. That's about 1951 or 1953 just before passenger traffic ceased.  In the photo the loco is at the North end and the autocoach on the South end, it was basically a shuttle back to Pontypridd and terminated in one of the northern bay platforms of Pontypridd station.

Immediately North of the station the line run under a bridge in to a cutting as the line proceeded further, I think another halt was about a mile further up the line. Ynysybwl Halt was a very basic set up. The trackbed is still there, and the remains of the platform but that's about all. About 1/2 mile south is Ynysybwl station, the station building has been renovated and is now a surgey. The goods shed still stands too , although now empty, having previously been used as a servicing shed for a local bus company! There is an EM/P4 gauge model of Ynysybwl that has been exhibited in South wales, it's by one of the Cardiff model clubs and depicts it in pre-grouping era.

Tony

• Informative/Useful 1

Thanks Ivor.

Hi Everyone, I hope you all had a good Easter break.

Today I am going to make a start on the baseboard this will just be a piece of MDF 2ft x 1ft with some 34mm x 34mm underneath for support and also the backscene board.

More Soon.

Jerry.

• Like 2

On ‎19‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 08:28, Jerry1975 said:

Thanks Tony for that, very useful.

Building will commence after the Easter weekend.

Jerry.

If you need any photos of the site as it currently stands please let me know as I live just a mile or so away from there.

Tony

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Thanks OO and Tony for your replies.

Tony, thanks for your kind offer, if it would be possible for you to take a photo of the overbridge immediately north of the halt and maybe a couple of the site / platform I would be very grateful.

Thanks,

Jerry.

On ‎24‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 06:38, Jerry1975 said:

Thanks OO and Tony for your replies.

Tony, thanks for your kind offer, if it would be possible for you to take a photo of the overbridge immediately north of the halt and maybe a couple of the site / platform I would be very grateful.

Thanks,

Jerry.

I Will do that for you but may take a few days as I have a model railway exhibition to run this weekend.

Tony

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Jerry, apologies for delay in getting back to you.

I visited the site of Ynysybwl Halt earlier today, camera in hand. Unfortunately there is nothing left to see now. There is a raised section where the platform used to be, but it's all overgrown. I could even see the bridge where the line continued northwards, maybe it was taken down previously?

I can recommend the book Nelson & Ynysybwl Branches of the TVR by Colin Chapman, it's an Oakwood Press book. There are a few photos of trains at the station there and a good close up of the bridge where the line goes northwards, although it had been filled in then (1959). The line closed to passengers in 1952 and there are a few shots of the auto train. The line to Ynysybwl Lady Windsor Colliery remained open for coal traffic until about 1988/9. The book also refers to a siding at Ynysybwl Halt too. The line went on up the mountain to Cwm Clydach, where there is also the remains foa  platform, and even further in to the forestry where there were a few mines, but they closed very early in the 20th century.

The book I mention above would be invaluable to you. Good luck with the layout. Just out of interest the Cardiff 4mm group have a EM or P4 layout of Ynysybwl in pre Grouping days which regularly does the Cardiff Model Railway Show every couple of years. But that's based on the main Ynysywbl station.

Regards

Tony

• Informative/Useful 1

Thanks Tony for your reply.

It's a shame nothing exists now, thanks for the heads up about the book, I will look out for it.

I haven't done much modelling of late as have been very busy with other things.

I haven't given up on this though, I'm also building a roundy layout as I got a train set last month for my birthday.

Jerry.