Scrap heap

• RMweb Premium

"Like"?

"Funny"?

There really should be a "wow" option for that kind of thing.

Seems like a collection rather than a scrapyard! I do wonder what the point if things like that is - the bikes for example look ok, why stack them up like that, they're surely worth more sold on as working bikes than left to rot for scrap...

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

A large number of ‘bargain’ bikes, bought new at below the price you have to pay for something of any quality, develop major wear issues fairly soon and are not well looked after.  Many repairers won’t touch them and spares won’t fit; it’s easier and cheaper to abandon them and buy another one. 

Welcome to the throwaway society, and the delusion that cycling is cheap, or green...

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Ivor_harley said:

The scrap or scrap heap can bring up some interesting discussions. All the information is most helpful.:good_mini:

It's a nice subject for gentle discussion, there isn't a right of a wrong way to do it. There was a discussion on Steve (sb67's) "Metcalfe Yard" micro around here and earlier in the topic too:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/120105-metcalfe-yard-all-finished/&do=findComment&comment=3063024

I don't want to sound like a complete nut, but part of the success does come in getting an aesthetically pleasing arrangement of the scrap.

- Richard.

1 hour ago, 47137 said:

It's a nice subject for gentle discussion, there isn't a right of a wrong way to do it. There was a discussion on Steve (sb67's) "Metcalfe Yard" micro around here and earlier in the topic too:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/120105-metcalfe-yard-all-finished/&do=findComment&comment=3063024

I don't want to sound like a complete nut, but part of the success does come in getting an aesthetically pleasing arrangement of the scrap.

- Richard.

There's much beauty in scrap and derelict stuff imho!

• Agree 1

Had a scrap yard, or, more accurately, a recycling centre, on my German layout Starker Verkehr. I was reasonably happy about how it looked.IMG_1634.jpg.76c5de9c7d0fdb0a4af26cd375ac243e.jpg

IMG_1633.jpg.dc7f489afec631c415a692125de93bc8.jpg

steve

IMG_1633.jpg

Edited by steve1
Remove doubled image
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, steve1 said:

Had a scrap yard, or, more accurately, a recycling centre, on my German layout Starker Verkehr. I was reasonably happy about how it looked.

Steve, this post is extremely well-timed for me. I am currently building a Faller 'industrial shredder', this will be the centre piece of the vehicle dismantlers on my own layout. I will need to adjust the tracks on the layout to let it fit but I cannot help thinking, the 'blue industrial building' and the site office / portacabin in your project would fit the site nicely too. Do you possibly remember who made these?

- Richard.

Richard,

The blue building was kitbashed out of Pikestuff parts and the Portacabin is a Kibri item that came off a layout I built 30 years ago. However, I'm pretty sure it's still in their range.  It is HO scale, if you want OO then Knightwing do one, as do others

steve

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, steve1 said:

Richard,

The blue building was kitbashed out of Pikestuff parts and the Portacabin is a Kibri item that came off a layout I built 30 years ago. However, I'm pretty sure it's still in their range.  It is HO scale, if you want OO then Knightwing do one, as do others

steve

The Kibri cabin is still around. Nowadays it comes on a low loader with a Mercedes lorry and a hiab crane, so perfect for my layout. I can use the lorry to bring something else into the scrapyard. (I had the Knightwing cabin on a layout now sold and it is very much 00, too big for H0).

Your kitbashing is very good! I suppose, the inspiration here for me is to have a small modern shed with a track extending inside, and I can try for something similar. I have a Peco/Wills "modern industrial building" with roller shutter doors, and I'll have a look at this.

Sorry to the OP for taking this so far from representing model scrap.

- Richard.

• Like 1

This page may be useful. His target audience is N gauge modellers, but there's some good info there and a lot of his modelling suggestions sound transferrable to other scales.

Personally, I'm considering a scrap yard myself, inspired by the yard attached to the Ford works at Dagenham. This consisted of mountains of offcuts from the factory, and appears (in the 1970s at least) to have been worked by privately owned Class 04s with condemned ex-BR wagons and at least one rail-mounted crane. Can't find any pictures online, but there's a good one in C R L Coles' Railways Through London.

• Thanks 1

Your kitbashing is very good!

You're too kind. Pikestuff is very easy to manipulate.

This looks it might suit your needs -- > https://rixproducts.com/product/three-size-modern-yard-office-ho/

Several traders in the UK could get it for you and I would recommend Model Junction, Slough as worth trying. https://www.modeljunction.info/

(Again, apologies for the hijacking)

steve

• RMweb Premium
On 17/04/2019 at 20:09, steve1 said:

You're too kind. Pikestuff is very easy to manipulate.

This looks it might suit your needs -- > https://rixproducts.com/product/three-size-modern-yard-office-ho/

Several traders in the UK could get it for you and I would recommend Model Junction, Slough as worth trying. https://www.modeljunction.info/

(Again, apologies for the hijacking)

steve

I don't really know anything about Pikestuff building kits, but the example you give would look the part. Are the kits the "craftsman" type where you cut the openings in the walls? If so it might be better for me to build something from scratch, or maybe new cladding on the Wills Modern "industrial/Retail unit". I've done what seems dozens of web searches and the supply of the Pikestuff kits in Britain seems to be rather limited.

- Richard.

Richard, 

The sides and ends have doors and windows 'half etched' inside which make cutting out easy. See pics. The blue pieces are sides/ends and the other bits are roofing sections.

They are not craftsmen type kits and go together easily. I've built several over years and kitbashed others.

Model Junction will be able to order any Pikestuff kits you want as they can get them directly from the US.

steve

IMG_1748.JPG

IMG_1749.JPG

• Informative/Useful 1

On 17/04/2019 at 14:00, HonestTom said:

This page may be useful. His target audience is N gauge modellers, but there's some good info there and a lot of his modelling suggestions sound transferrable to other scales.

Personally, I'm considering a scrap yard myself, inspired by the yard attached to the Ford works at Dagenham. This consisted of mountains of offcuts from the factory, and appears (in the 1970s at least) to have been worked by privately owned Class 04s with condemned ex-BR wagons and at least one rail-mounted crane. Can't find any pictures online, but there's a good one in C R L Coles' Railways Through London.

There's a solitary photo in 'Focus on Freight- Eastern Region Freight Since 1960', by Shaun Pearce, showing ex-BR Drewry D2267 with a short rake of re-bodied opens, obviously built on site.  Ford's had their own foundries on site, fed by scrap from the pressings shops. For many years, they apparently had a blast furnace on site, making their own pig-iron from imported ore.

• Informative/Useful 1

I modelled my scrapyard from a combination of suitably "modified" vehicles (ie squashed by hand!) and a selection of old bits and bobs from my spares box, I also used any old bits of rusting metal, bits of old wire etc - most of which was found on the ground when walking the dog.

The vehicles were spray primed and then painted by hand, I used a selection of weathering powders to create rust, dirt and fading effects.  The other scrap was painted in the same way but colouring was limited to mainly browns.

I also made a car crusher from a articulated lorry trailer, and crushed cars from tin foil.

IMG_20180427_165733.jpg

IMG_20180427_165706.jpg

IMG_20180427_170219.jpg

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, Porkscratching said:

That certainly looks the part!

Particularly like the old crane you've got there..

Cheers, it's a Ruston Bucyrus 19RB by Langley(?) Models - white metal and brass kit, VERY fiddly in 'N' gauge!  I'm trying to find an appropriate claw or magnet attachment, but haven't had much luck as yet.

IMG_20180427_165921.jpg

IMG_20180427_170502.jpg

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Tempted to find one of those in 4mm scale!

A pick up magnet as I remember was a pretty basic shaped 'lump' and would be an easy thing to make .. I 'll have to go thru Google images now looking at old cranes!!!

I see Langley do some nice 00 gauge versions, they're circa £70 to £100 a pop tho.!!

Edited by Porkscratching

• RMweb Premium

I saw this Coles crane at the Museum of Power at Langford (Essex) yesterday, I wonder would this sort of thing would be suitable for a scrapyard? The extending jib letting it retrieve something from the far end of a pile of stuff?

- Richard.

P1000718.JPG.23ce6130c8474f2372a8a9ad55f73ef6.JPG

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 11/04/2019 at 19:57, 47137 said:

Faller do a kit for an industrial shredder, their p/n 130186. I've had mine for a couple of years and this topic has encouraged me to open the box.

It's a bit difficult to describe what you get, it looks like a conveyor for loading, a big shredder, a second conveyor to some other machine, and a third conveyor at the end. I imagine recognisable chunks of train going in at one end and fragment emerging at the other.

My shredder is taking shape:

DSCF9315.jpg.f32513237f327724ee5504d8329efd57.jpg

There are conveyor belts for the input top right and output bottom left. Please could anyone advise, what is the short conveyor top left for? Perhaps there is an initial sorting function and this is its output. I don't really have a clue. The illustration on the box of the kit implies it is an output, but the illustration shows lumps of scrap too big too have emerged from the space on the model.

- Richard.

• Like 2

Re the Coles crane...

If a smallish yard got the chance to buy one in at a good price I'm sure it'd be snapped up and prove handy..

a place i remember in the 90s had various bits of kit like that lying around, no longer used and in scrap condition..!

Edited by Porkscratching
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, 47137 said:

My shredder is taking shape:

DSCF9315.jpg.f32513237f327724ee5504d8329efd57.jpg

There are conveyor belts for the input top right and output bottom left. Please could anyone advise, what is the short conveyor top left for? Perhaps there is an initial sorting function and this is its output. I don't really have a clue. The illustration on the box of the kit implies it is an output, but the illustration shows lumps of scrap too big too have emerged from the space on the model.

- Richard.

Looks to me like big stuff goes in the top, gets mashed, and small stuff comes out of the one in question onto the back of a lorry ..

The box art is only an 'artists impression' i wouldn't take it too literally!

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, 47137 said:

I saw this Coles crane at the Museum of Power at Langford (Essex) yesterday, I wonder would this sort of thing would be suitable for a scrapyard? The extending jib letting it retrieve something from the far end of a pile of stuff?

- Richard.

P1000718.JPG.23ce6130c8474f2372a8a9ad55f73ef6.JPG

One of the great things about modelling a scrapyard is that you're pretty free to use your imagination!  If it's not outside your time period, I would say that a scrapyard would utilise all manner of vehicles, equipment, etc....  

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Porkscratching said:

Looks to me like big stuff goes in the top, gets mashed, and small stuff comes out of the one in question onto the back of a lorry ..

The box art is only an 'artists impression' i wouldn't take it too literally!

Absolutely - but I will be cross if I ignore it and don't leave space for a crane or lorry to manoeuvre. I will have to rebuild a small part of the layout to fit this machine in, move one or two sidings. The kit is compact but it needs a lot of real estate around it.

- Richard.