Factories etc. - when did roller doors become common?

john new

• RMweb Gold

Most old factories, goods shed facilities etc., seem to have (had) their doors either hinged or sliding. Most modern built one's have roller doors or perhaps an up and over if a smaller building or garage. Does anyone know roughly when the former stopped being commonly fitted to new build and the latter style began to be substituted? I know our house had an up and over door by the early 1970s but, even today, there are many older garages around with wooden doors.

One of those things I've not really considered before but is presumably, to those who know, scenically as big a faux-pas as putting a blue diesel on a rake of PO wagons.

Any guidance welcomed as I am beginning to think about the buildings to be part of the layout's backscene/end panel..

Edited by john new
Typos corrected

• RMweb Gold

Roller shutter doors get complicated, there are many different designs of interlocked slats, some due to patent issues, some in response to natural development, so if you want to be truly correct pick the correct style and manufacturer for your period.

Mike.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the above responses, they give a good guide.

If going steam era (pre-1968), roller doors unlikely.  Post steam a mix, with rollers on any newer buildings. 

• Agree 1