2nd footbridge for the Dunallander layout.

Caley Jim

After I had completed the first footbridge for the Dunallander layout it was pointed out to me that there was a second footbridge to the north of the station.  A path led from the north end of the island platform and was linked to the west side of the town by this bridge which crossed the outer track of the island platform and the goods yard entrance.

Originally it was a standard CR timber design, but at some point before the period of the layout (1960's) it had been replaced by a lattice structure.  This was visible in several photos, but is long gone and there are no known drawings.  from the photos and the outline Neil had drawn on the baseboard I was able to create this drawing.

2nd footbridge Drawing.pdf

The different colours were to help me in working out the layers for creating the artwork for the etch.  that went off to PPD ten days ago and I expect its deliver imminently.

I will post its construction hre.

• Like 6

The etch was received last Friday and I managed to make a start on it at our area group meeting on Saturday, (6th picture down).  Since then Time has been a wee bit short, but by last night I had the four side units assembled.

Assembly_stage1.JPG.dd6b02ae31330692b4bbfefede4d2aae.JPG

The two layers forming the lattice are pretty flimsy at first, but once the top, end and intermediate flanges have been added, they become fairly rigid.

The tabs along the bottom will fit into slots in a sub-floor which also forms the lower flanges, while those on the lower ends are to locate the posts at the bottom of each stairway.

Jim

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

There has been a slight hiatus in work on the bridge while I assembled some items which I had been asked to do for another project.  they have now been passed on and i will leave it to the recipient to comment on them should he so wish.

To let the good folk here see what the prototype looked like I should have included this photo from the Norris Forrest collection held by the CRA, which is about the best one we have.

1534340953_BuchSttoPerth037.jpg.21c386376f649a67debc07e980513d39.jpg

The sides have now been added to the sub-floor of the main span and the steps fitted.  Not obvious in the photo is the piece of fine wire soldered to the front top corner of each step to replicate the step overhanging the riser.  I was more than half way up the flight before I managed to evolve a way of making a neat job of this!:scratchhead:

1815724826_Assemblystage2.JPG.e6607c53bd7c18cd6dffc04401d68103.JPG

Jim

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

1 hour ago, queensquare said:

Nice shot Jim although the photographer should have straightened up those telegraph poles on the left before clicking the shutter!

Many railway photographers appear to have been very lax in that respect!:lol:

Jim

More progress.  End posts and 'T'-section arch and side braces added along with the top surface of the deck.

1770335785_Assemblystage3.JPG.64867a7e4d521f5ac34461e8ab9cb2c0.JPG

Now to start on the other flight of steps.

Jim

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Stairway from the platform now assembled.

1307546327_Assemblystage4.1.JPG.3de553b5b5e2eaf02021f5c8e8516cbc.JPG

194128103_Assemblystage4.2.JPG.452b02c89f45e72b955355fb73ae7eee.JPG

You can just about make out the added 'overhangs' on the steps.  The photos show that I need to do a wee bit of infilling with solder on the slots/tabs locating the inner part of the 'T' section arch.

I now have to make up a template to help me locate the two sections accurately together in the correct relationship in all three planes as they are not at right angles to one another and the two ends are at different levels.

Jim

Edited by Caley Jim
Edited for typos
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8

Apropos the last paragraph in my previous post, after having given it a lot of thought, I've decided that it will be easier and, from the point of view of not getting it wrong, safer, to wait until I have the supporting columns before making a base to facilitate fitting things together.  In the mean time I have made up the bases for the pillars (these were set on plinths which appear to have been the same height as the platform, I presume because the pillars were designed for a bridge mounted on a platform and so would be too short to be set at ground level), the jig to ensure that the pillars will be vertical on the plinths and the arched cast brackets under the landing.

1100879665_Subassemblies.JPG.f0095a41b5a723f258788cf186cc4a46.JPG

L-R: Plinth for the 4 pillars supporting the corner landing; plinths for the 2 pillars under the half landing, jig to help get the pillars mounted vertically (the plinth(s) sit between the lugs at the near end and the notches at the far end will, in theory, hold the pillars in the correct alignment) and the representation of the cast arched brackets under the corner landing.  I also have made up another arched bracket which goes between the tops of the 2 pillars under the half landing, but forgot to put it in the photo.  :blush:

So, now I'll move on to some other items on the etch sheet.

Jim

Edited by Caley Jim
typing ommission
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

The path leading from the end of the island platform to the footbridge was bounded on either side by standard picket fences, another item I put on the etch.  They have been the next items to be assembled.  Some of the posts have 'peg' extensions to their lower ends to fix them place.  I mis-counted the number required to make these every alternate one, which is why the nearer fence has fewer of them.

fences.JPG.ec1b7661528745ea25034ffd51666b46.JPG

Jim

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...

Having assembled the other items on the sheet which were for other people and still awaiting the pillars for the bridge, I decided to paint the lengths of fencing:

1680966031_fencespainted.JPG.0e33df0c00d6816b38231d885e995149.JPG

Two coats of well thinned Humbrol gloss white. My intention was to give them a 'recently painted, but not yesterday' look.   By thinning the paint they have come out with an almost satin finish.

Jim

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Having received the pillars from Roy at the Perth Show last weekend, I spent a little time at our Area Group Meeting fettling them and the other parts so that they all fitted together nicely.  Only some small adjustments were needed, mainly reaming out the holes in the plinths which were a wee bit small and filing small flats on the tops of the pillars to make a neat fit with the representations of the cast brackets.

Yesterday evening saw the pillars assembled onto the plinth and the bracket assembly attached .  This evening has seen me finish of the assembly of the two pillars under the half landing.  I opted to link the bottom of the plinths for these with a piece of scrap etch frame to make the assembly a bit stronger.

754003691_mainpillars.JPG.afe7ba6c701d81294deb9a3f9a3b5914.JPG1707622784_Pillarassemblies.JPG.9e5039ab85b6c4251bfb4ffc65d7f408.JPG

The spigots on top of the four main pillars were just a wee bit too big to fit into the holes in the underside of the deck and there was no way to ream them, so I filed them flush with the top of the bracket assembly.  The two little projecting tabs will provide an accurate location in any case.

Next up to assemble all the section together!

Jim

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

We have a footbridge!

1333930950_Assembled4.JPG.cbe90f87fec2ffc4430854e26b41fed5.JPG946987063_Assembled1.JPG.434b9db81925dc13ec7b3c7a6c2ad525.JPG1285078964_Assembled2.JPG.3b131a9b1c10a94328d822c78893f79e.JPG110688661_Assembled3.JPG.dbe70c89a0dd7a824fd0259e113b217b.JPG

Hopefully it captures the delicate appearance of the prototype, despite which it is a remarkably sturdy model.

Next up a light spray of grey primer and a couple of coats of the same blue as the first bridge received.

Jim

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 9

On 05/05/2019 at 17:08, Caley Jim said:

The path leading from the end of the island platform to the footbridge was bounded on either side by standard picket fences, another item I put on the etch.  They have been the next items to be assembled.  Some of the posts have 'peg' extensions to their lower ends to fix them place.  I mis-counted the number required to make these every alternate one, which is why the nearer fence has fewer of them.

fences.JPG.ec1b7661528745ea25034ffd51666b46.JPG

Jim

Hi Jim, Is it possible to order some of your picket fencing? I produced mine out of thin card for my Invershin model, but would love to have something finer scale for the larger Highland layout I am working on?

Marlyn

Marlyn

3 hours ago, Marly51 said:

Hi Jim, Is it possible to order some of your picket fencing? I produced mine out of thin card for my Invershin model, but would love to have something finer scale for the larger Highland layout I am working on?

Marlyn

Marlyn

Hi Marilyn. 

The fencing was designed specifically for the location at Dunblane, but there is no reason why I couldn't do some more. What length do you need and I'll put it on the list for the next etch sheet, though I can't promise when that will be. I'll check what height it was when I'm home tonight (grandparenting duties at the moment) and PM you. 

Jim 

• Thanks 1

The pillars were turned for me by one of the group building the layout. The jig was drawn up as part of the etch.

Jim 

Edited by Caley Jim
  • Thanks 1