New Beginings from Oz

Well, here we go again.

What to build this time?

A scrap yard? (new beginning for the old wagons)

Relaying track? (new beginning for the branch line)

Preservation line maybe?

What scale should I try this time? if I try O Gauge then I could have a go at building track.

Watch this space.

• Like 4

A start has been made. an expansion of the train wash idea.

A branch line was closed by you know who.

After watching Julie Walters on her coastal railways program,(it takes a long time to get your TV out here, we are watching 2014 Escape to the Country) one line was being rebuilt as a preserved railway. I decided to rebuild the track in O Gauge. I usually model in N Gauge, so everything will be scratch built. After doing some research on sizes and spacing, I started with foam board base and card sleepers, there is the usual embankment retaining wall and the drainage at the bottom of the wall.

Start by cutting track bed, sleepers and retaining wall

IMG_5534.JPG.6764f3037c96a22f559ec863217903c3.JPG

Space sleepers.

IMG_5535.JPG.afb455d4a236fba3dce28ed7506bca02.JPG

Then mockup model

IMG_5540.JPG.d75f84a8c201b4eb9c8536da552f6936.JPG

So. that is as far as I have got for now. will have to source under layer and ballast, brick paper(? or modeling clay) and track crew.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

A bit more work done.

Roadbase laid and sleepers painted

IMG_5550A.jpg.8be9eacf5be318a0ca8fa8aae7c433ae.jpg

Building the retaining wall, new beginning for me as I have not made walls from air dried clay before, small rolling pin in background is a glass float from fishing nets. That is part of my NGauge Preserved Railway MPD in background 

IMG_5553A.jpg.682f2347f8c09be2fc5eb07437cf8933.jpg

closeup of scoring in wall, needs to be painted next.  another new beginning for me as I usually use printed paper in N Gauge and this is O Gauge.

IMG_5558A.jpg.ecb4072750221190d05a4c494c7f24c9.jpg

the strip in the front will be the wall capping stones

Edited by GeoffinOz
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Been away for a while, and had to find some people to do the track laying, could not find any O Gauge track workers in the shops here so bought a set of surveyors to check the straightness of the sleeper laying. Will get on with the work now and post some pictures later.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Some more work done. I am a bit disappointed that there are not more models being made, but I suppose all you Poms are too busy enjoying your Spring and Summer weather. over here it is nearly winter and it is only 9oC :scared:

First, I had to do a mockup with the survey team. As they are period dressed and not in High Vis then the idea is changed, they are not laying a new section on a preserved railway, they are now laying track for this new fangled railway thing.

IMG_5610A.jpg.67f79a7a850ea0cef70fe7e705bac4bd.jpg

IMG_5611A.jpg.feda5380cd1c65f4425e3c99210f907d.jpg

That seems Ok.  So on with the scenery, had to put a drainage hole in the bottom of the wall or there would be serious problems later.

IMG_5625A.jpg.5776f8ec6a3700102274ced2a5f45269.jpg

IMG_5628A.jpg.9903fb6d3b436f15b3cdba6a948371b8.jpg

There is already dampness around the drain.  I am impatient, and it is cold in the shed, so would not wait till the glue dried on the wall capping.

The slope behind the top of the wall will have a post and wire fence half way up and a couple of sheep looking over at the workers. I might even have a go at that long grass if I can work out how to apply without an applicator. 

This has been a few new beginnings for me. making and painting air dried clay wall, O Gauge measurements, the post and wire fence will be something I have never tried.

• Like 4

Not sure if I like this O gauge, it is very fiddly trying to build post and wire fences, drilling holes in matchsticks and threading single strand copper wire through holes.IMG_5634A.jpg.702fab65881a51ba2195c4740f80c903.jpgHave put the short grass on the sheep side of fence, need longer grass and weeds on railway side.

There might be a new beginning in the spring as the Ram is taking an interest in the ewe.

IMG_5636A.jpg.fbccb665c960dbd37d13adc780dfc11c.jpg  

• Like 6
  • Funny 1

Fencing looks good! Sometimes I spend hours modelling a feature like fencing or a balustrade then have to make the decision to scrap it and start again! But your fencing works - looks like a lot of post and wire fences where I live - much of it with temporary repairs that never get seen to later!

• RMweb Premium
On 02/06/2019 at 01:15, GeoffinOz said:

There might be a new beginning in the spring as the Ram is taking an interest in the ewe.

IMG_5636A.jpg.fbccb665c960dbd37d13adc780dfc11c.jpg  

Now that is what I like about this Cakebox Challenge - detail that often goes un-noticed on a regular layout.

So, will we get to see the "happy family" in spring? 

Keep up the good work, Geoff.  I watch with interest as our new exhibition layout will be in 0 - Yikes!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Geoff I like how your layout is progressing. I have been looking through the cakebox challenges new and old and there are some great pieces of modelling.

Have you found it different changing to O gauge for your particular challenge.

Im planning on having a bash at the round 3 challenge.

7 hours ago, MrDuck said:

Geoff I like how your layout is progressing. I have been looking through the cakebox challenges new and old and there are some great pieces of modelling.

Have you found it different changing to O gauge for your particular challenge.

Im planning on having a bash at the round 3 challenge.

Hi Mr Duck. The most difficult thing about changing gauge is remembering to convert bigger, and there is more detail in O than N and less space.