Stroudley B1 class (Gladstone)

3 hours ago, burgundy said:

You can sometimes find the old GEM cast white metal kits on e Bay. There is an etched brass kit produced by Albion Models, which can usually be bought from Roxey Mouldings and, if you want something subtly different, there is an EBM kit for the Richmond class. The Brighton Circle modelling pages have a complete list.  

Hope this helps

Best wishes

Eric  

The GEM kit is available again from Lytchett Manor models.

http://lytchettmanor.co.uk.websitebuilder.prositehosting.co.uk/lytchett-manor/oo-gauge-loco-kits

Can't see a RTR model ever being made unless the NRM did a version.

Jason

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I agree, a very attractive little loco indeed.

Classes that never made it in service beyond the 1930's and 1940's tend to be disregarded by RTR manufactures. This is, to some extent  understandable; Bachmann, Hornby etc may feel sales would be insufficient to warrant production. This is a real shame as the Victorian and Edwardian eras do have a strong following.

The fact that 19th and early 20th century locomotives (Terriers, Brighton Atlantics and Dean Goods, to name just a few) which survived into Nationalisation, and consequently spanning many livery changes offer the best returns.

11 hours ago, drt7uk said:

Hopefully NRM will produce one as part of their National Collection in Miniature range in the coming years. Fingers crossed, anyway!

I entertain similar hopes, but the beautiful Stirling single - I have the feeling - may have struggled for orders to make an economic batch size. The proposed version with the older Sturrock style tender received insufficient orders to justify production for a start, and that was the exhibited and operated preservation specimen for over a century.

If I had to point at one express loco that hopefully would prove a commercially strong performer it would be Wainwright's lovely D class, as it hung on into BR service. The gorgeous specimens of earlier express traction in the NRM collection would make wonderful models, it's the customer willingness to choke up the dough... dreaming ... LNWR Jumbo, NER Tennant, LBSCR Gladstone, Midland Spinner...

• Like 3

• 6 months later...
On 11/04/2019 at 07:55, Steamport Southport said:

The GEM kit is available again from Lytchett Manor models.

http://lytchettmanor.co.uk.websitebuilder.prositehosting.co.uk/lytchett-manor/oo-gauge-loco-kits

I have one of these kits, but it just doesn't seem to fit together. Has anybody here built one -- I'd like to compare notes. Or is there a page with build notes on it -- I can't find one, but maybe that is my weak google-fu.

Thanks

7 hours ago, pjsg said:

...I have one of these kits, but it just doesn't seem to fit together...

That'll be a whitemetal kit with origins circa 50 years ago alright. With rare exceptions - ABS for example - you could expect at least some of the parts not to fit that well, especially if the kit had been several years in production.

What you did was - with the assistance of a drawing - determine what needed 'fettling', in order to produce an external form of the correct dimensions and appearance. It might also be necessary to consider before assembly whether there was space enough for all the mechanism parts, while what would become internal surfaces were readily accessible. And if you identified any component as so deformed as to really make its use verging on impossible, request a replacement part from the supplier.

When I was first exposed to this wondrous method of obtaining loco models not available in RTR form in my teens, I could turn to a model railway club where the wise old hands 'showed you how'. And very useful this was too, as my first loco kit had the casting for one side 2mm longer than the other side....

And welcome to RMweb too!

• 1 year later...
On 11/04/2019 at 13:51, Michael Edge said:

The Albion kit is very good, this is one I built a few years ago, before and after painting by Ian Rathbone.971763064_06-26fl.JPG.e6238d5204be9f60e8b0fe202e406867.JPG1845744378_06-26flpainted.JPG.697b3e59b480516638d2eab580d364be.JPG

Not all the fittings are the ones supplied with the kit, this customer often supplies better ones where available.

Hi can I ask which gauge is this, I ask as I want to do one in P4 and wonder if there may be any issues

John