First ever layout

AndyMac7

Ah I get it now, because the track isn’t straightening out to run horizontal along the board the curves can be gentler and it’ll flow better. 

I think i might take all the advice and start a blank canvas and see what comes out using that kind of approach.

Cheers

Andy

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, AndyMac7 said:

Ah I get it now, because the track isn’t straightening out to run horizontal along the board the curves can be gentler and it’ll flow better

It's not so much the final alignment as the way you handle the transition between the straight track and the curve that makes the track flow. 

Aligning the track so it isn't parallel to the board helps distract the eye from noticing that the layout is an unnatural rectangular slice of the world.

3 hours ago, Harlequin said:

Hi Andy, I think @griffgriff and @Flying Pig mean this:

1038554703_AndyMac2A.png.a4908236d4fd1be0448e8fdb46fc5242.png

This is another possibility that occurred to me:

1384586339_AndyMac2B.png.bb467114fb4be7335fefadefa3e0722d.png

I've rotated to a more conventional orientation and shown a blue line for the backscene at the "rear of the board".

This is what I was saying, particularly the 2nd one, but with Minories style approach, because whatever the question is, we usually end up with Minories!

Thanks again everyone. 

One thing I'm considering is adding an additional board to the right hand side at the same orientation as the last board on the left hand side. That would make this the complete bottom half of a continuous run layout with the top half to come later. 

I’m also considering making the curves on the left enter a tunnel with a scenic section on the top of it. 

Plenty of things to think about. 

2 hours ago, TonyMay said:

This is what I was saying, particularly the 2nd one, but with Minories style approach, because whatever the question is, we usually end up with Minories!

I looked up a few examples of Minories and I can see how that would be very helpful.