Bryford County. Downsizing.

newbryford

• RMweb Premium

I know my original plans were small and then turned a little larger, but after much sorting out [*], I've decided to make a start with a small project with a view to larger things in the future.

[*] Otherwise known as tidying out the garage, making room in it for some stuff from my shed and Mrs NB wanting her own shed.

By adopting UK Freemo standards, my plan is to build modules as and when time/space/money permits.

The initial space will be within my 10x8 model building shed, with an internal space of 9'6" x 7'6".

The first four modules will be 3'6" by 18", giving a 8'6"x7' L shape which can be arranged as a 14' straight layout if required.

First stage was to work out what sort of curve could be accommodated around the L and 2'6" looks to fit the bill.

I know that some folks like to use computer planning software, but I'm very much old school and drew out the initial setup on graph paper, and then moved up to some old wallpaper, cut into baseboard sizes for a 1:1 plan.

This is the first view of the curve, with my "helper" in the shape of #3 cat Benji - who doesn't look too pleased..................

plan1.jpg.55cd69ec7e6cf360c896170b73ea1202.jpg

The intention is to have a curve with a 90degree crossing (immediately under Benji's backside) leading to future extension in other directions - to the right and immediately below

The red spots are approximate Freemo markers for single/double track and baseboard widths of 18/20" to comply

I have already purchased the wood and currently have a flat pack to build more than four boards including one with a lowered mid-section with a  water crossing

There will be some more planning in the next few days.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
update
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Does Benji’s arse count as a planning tool or just a weight? :laughclear:

So are you likely to get to one of the meets this year too? ;) 

I was hoping to get to Armitage in October, but it's the same weekend as GETS at Milton Keynes - where I will be working...…………...

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

More thoughts on the name.

(Yes I know it's my layout and I can name it whatever I like)

I am sooooooooooo tempted to resurrect the "Bryford" name or variations of.

My other choices are "Billington". (Next village along from where I live)

and "Langmoor" which was a still-born OO idea.

Looking at names in the Georgia/South Carolina areas, there are numerous "fords, fields and dales" as suffixes.

So that gives:

Bryford

Brydale,

Bryfield, (similar to Brierfield in Lancashire)

Langdale (there's another north of England connection that will confuse folks!)

What do people think?

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, newbryford said:

More thoughts on the name.

(Yes I know it's my layout and I can name it whatever I like)

I am sooooooooooo tempted to resurrect the "Bryford" name or variations of.

My other choices are "Billington". (Next village along from where I live)

and "Langmoor" which was a still-born OO idea.

Looking at names in the Georgia/South Carolina areas, there are numerous "fords, fields and dales" as suffixes.

So that gives:

Bryford

Brydale,

Bryfield, (similar to Brierfield in Lancashire)

Langdale (there's another north of England connection that will confuse folks!)

What do people think?

Cheers,

Mick

One vote for Langdale from me.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Talltim said:

Don’t you need to have min 36” radius curve for the mainline track to meet Freemo specs?

Only for the main tracks....

Main tracks, or any other tracks designed to be used by through trains must have a minimum of 36” minimum radius curves and #6 turnouts. Spurs and industry tracks must be 24” minimum radius and can use sharper turnouts.

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Talltim said:

Ok. Just wanted to make sure you were aware. 

The curve is intended to be the connection between Class1/2 and the shortline. The mainline is pretty much straight (so far)

Cheers,

Mick

p.s. the name will be decided by end of play tomorrow Tuesday

Edited by newbryford

On 13/04/2019 at 12:44, PaulRhB said:

;) throw a sicky and wear a mask so no one knows when we post pics on here ;) Ah well you might have the module finished for the next one :) 

Not that you would Mick, but I advise not to throw a sicky. I recall two instances of Midlands based Railwaymen who were caught out by TVC.  The first was an S&T telecomms engineer who practised Morris dancing as a hobby.  He apparently threw a sicky one bank holiday as he had a Morris Dancing gig in Weston Super Mare.  Well that 

Midlands based TV news channel ATV decided to do a teatime news feature on Brummies enjoying their bank holiday by the seaside, with a close up of the dancers thrashing the sticks and bells.

The other was a Controller who was passionate about a Southwest football team and wanted to watch the match.  Yes  You have guessed which match was being broadcast on the telly and who was seen in the crowd !!!!

• RMweb Gold

Only beaten by my American friend who took a sicky when I worked in Curry’s and promptly turned up on the local lunchtime news, across the store as they were all on bbc1, being interviewed at Sandbanks!!

We videoed the teatime version and played it on a projection tv for him ;) 

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

And the winner is "Bryford"

Various connotations of Bryford Terminal, Bryford County and the like will be used for the various modules.

One of the industries will be Billington Engineering and it's likely that Langdale will make an appearance somewhere....

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Good choice Mick, you cant go far wrong using a name that is synonymous with your good self.

I've just resurrected the Kingsmill name, (Kingsmill (Midland Road) TMD), the first Layout I had published was just Kingsmill, but now a TMD not a Yard.

I was chatting to Nick Palette / Northpoint,  today about American stuff, hence my looking on here, BAD NEWS FOR THE WALET.:nono:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

A few pics of my space and trackplan.

4 boards, each 3'6" x 18" arranged a s an L shape

BR2.jpg.071ac0173f4fda375441e6cea6a5393d.jpg

Planning in progress with the obligatory soft drink in view.

BR1.jpg.9d95a9e9e6b7e089f3322c8f716e40ad.jpg

From the end.

The main line is dead centre with the Freemo standard position-this takes a right deviation around the GP38 to continue over the 90 degree crossing. The boxcars on the left are on a dead end spur giving me a bit of switching capability.

The line on the bottom will be the passenger terminus -extended onto another board.

BR3.jpg.09a4bb3a9c9e1ca4684242ace1197560.jpg

The 90 degree crossing has two Freemo standard connections -the main line is away to the right and the shortline/regional link is to the bottom right

BR4.jpg.644d7b851e7a15659b45a24070303749.jpg

Around the corner and we have the shortline workshops (sorry Ray - it's a Walthers structure) /inspection shed (Pikestuff kitbasher) The plan is to have at least one other baseboard to extend this section with a Freemo end on it, with the connection back into the inspection shed. The stub at the upper right will be the completion of the triangle to the maan lineBR5.jpg.a03797582304610dde3e96590f2ccbd8.jpg

Comments most welcome.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, long island jack said:

Looking good Mick, well let you off with the Walthers building, my only criticism is the use of soft drinks, it always flows better with beer!!! 

Depending upon time of day/day of the week, there may be a clear liquid addition to the red and white can...…..

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

DCC Concepts 5mm trackbed now in place.

Pointwork is only placed to triple check the alignment.

tb1.jpg.8882d3c9d5203e38a5cbde3fc064c51f.jpg

tb2.jpg.7fc6c76bc0536717965475d36a8d9aab.jpg

tb3.jpg.a61143f61a779d6dc67f059abad3e703.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 8