Land Rover 2b Forward Control in OO?

John M Upton

• RMweb Premium

Hello

Does anyone make either as a kit or RTR a Series 2b forward control Land Rover in OO scale please?

I thought Oxford did one but I can only find the later Military spec version.

TIA!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The old Husky model is spot on 1/76 scale. They can be found at swap meets and toy fairs quite cheaply. The wheels will need replacing and the glazing often goes opaque. In overall dimensions its pretty accurate all the details are also pretty good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, modelldoc said:

There was the JB model in 1:76, later it was issued by Airfix.

Here is a link:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/airfix-a02331-landrover-1-tonne-fc-truck-gs-body--181810

modelldoc

1 hour ago, modelldoc said:

Here is my once, build years before:

Land Rover 1 Tonne

modelldoc

The OP is referring to the earlier civilian forward control Land Rover 109.

As Philjw pointed out the Husky model is a good 'un and playworn items  are cheap as chips on ebay. 

I have heard varied reports about the real thing , most people say they were terribly under powered but some fire service users reckoned they were a useful machine in fire engine guise .  They were quite a  rare sight in real life so am curious as to why you want one ?

s-l1600.jpg.ec044c1d32ffc5732f08f03636f9395b.jpg

Edited by JCB 3C no.2
  • Like 2

On 13/04/2019 at 17:02, modelldoc said:

There was the JB model in 1:76, later it was issued by Airfix.

Here is a link:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/airfix-a02331-landrover-1-tonne-fc-truck-gs-body--181810

modelldoc

The airfix model is of a 101 Forward Control Land Rover - this is quite different from the civillian series 2a or 2b forward controls, being specifically developed as a gun tractor with a V8 engine. The forward control 2a and 2b models were developments of the 1ton version of the standard long wheelbase landrover that most people are familiar with, basically by fitting a straight six engine (2.6L if i recall correctly) and moving the cab forward on a subframe so that it sat over the engine. The chassis was for most purposes unchanged from the standard 1 ton chassis.

5 minutes ago, JCB 3C no.2 said:

As Philjw pointed out the Husky model is a good 'un and playworn items  are cheap as chips on ebay. 

I have heard varied reports about the real thing , most people say they were terribly under powered but some fire service users reckoned they were a useful machine in fire engine guise .  They were quite a  rare sight in real life so am curious as to why you want one ?

s-l1600.jpg.ec044c1d32ffc5732f08f03636f9395b.jpg

Most long wheelbase series land rovers are considered under powered by todays standards! But the brakes aren't that good anyhow! (Ask me how I know.........). There is a gntle charm to trundling along in one though. Unless you are stuck behind me.............

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 13/04/2019 at 22:05, modelldoc said:

Here is my once, build years before:

Land Rover 1 Tonne

modelldoc

That is all wrong, and would be taken off the road. :rtfm: It is in the wrong camouflage pattern. 

When I was with 47 Field Regiment the REME workshop's runabout Land Rover wasn't painted in the regimental camouflage pattern of all four corners having a black stripe and the colonel ordered it off the road until it was repainted. Well being REME we just stuck in the back of the workshop, until the day the colonel's own Land Rover was in for repair. The only spare one in the whole of HQ battery and the workshop was the runabout. Somehow all the others not in use needed servicing. Its camouflage pattern wasn't mentioned again. :D

Sorry for the thread slip.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, JCB 3C no.2 said:

I have a taste for the more unusual vehicles and there was always something interesting about the far less common forward control variant of the Land Rover, indeed I think one of my grandfathers (possible even both!) may have owned one at some point.  I see one quite often from the train too, someone near Southwick station on the Coastway West has a lovely looking dark green example in their back yard!

A Husky one has been picked up on Ebay and is on its way...

Edited by John M Upton
  • Like 2

On 14/04/2019 at 13:01, modelldoc said:

These were normal control 109's converted by Charmichael not the Rover built FC, the short bonnet gives it away. 

• Informative/Useful 1

No, that was a prototype of a larger truck built to an army requirement that never got passed the test stage. Only a couple were built and a set of parts were used to build 2wd a transporter for the Rover/BRM Le Mans car

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Getting back to the Husky model. The wheels will need replacing, the ones from the aformentioned JB/Airfix 101 kit are of the correct pattern with the step rings. The cab top is a bit crude with heavy window pillars, these can be filed down but I am looking into the possibility of replacing it with the cab top from the Oxford series II. The 101 kit could also provide other bits such as axles, seats and steering wheel.

The series 2A FC came with a 4 cylinder petrol engine only and was built on a 109 inch chassis, 75% of which was the same as a std land rover. The series 2B FC came with option of fitting the more powerful (and thirsty) 2,6ltr 6 cylinder petrol engine. To make space for this the wheelbase was extended to 110 inches. The cabs of both vehicles changed little but can be identified by the headlight position. On the 2A they are around the middle of the front panel,whereas the 2B has them just above the bumper. The position of sidelights and indicators differs on both due to the position of the headlights. A picture of a 2A and 2B next to each other is available on the model history pages of Series 2 Land Rover Club website for comparison.

Andy

If you are thinking of kit bashing I managed to track down some info regarding the track of the vehicles, the 2B being wider than the 2A.

2A FC track 1360mm

2B FC track 1460mm

101FC track 1549mm

Edited by Goochie
more info
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Seems quite a few get confused with the more modern Carmichael conversion version that Oxford do make.

Might look out for a Matchbox fire tender version at some point.  I do now have a tatty Husky 2b on my desk awaiting TLC. 

• Like 2

In a strange turn of fortunes Carmichael 's successful conversion of normal 109 in Land Rovers to Forward Control Fire Engines led them to making a few civilian FC Land Rovers including a 7 door Station Wagon ! 

Now where is my hacksaw ,Matchbox Land Rover Fire Engine and Safari Land Rover !

lr fc.jpg

Edited by JCB 3C no.2
  • Like 8