New Level 7mm Micro

New Level Mill a 7mm Micro Layout

New Level, now there’s a name to conjure with. Well no, abracadabra is a name to conjure with, but at least as a name New Level has a certain ring to it. So, questions, what’s it all about, why such a name, what and where is it?

I like building layouts simply because my enjoyment comes from the journey, rather than the finished article. I know I should get out more, but then I’m an independent almost recluse like modeller.

Well if I must start somewhere it’s better to start at the beginning. New Level is yet another Earl of Dudley based layout and yes, another piece of bunkum. As this will be the 12th layout in a series of Black Country themed layouts, it has as usual my trademark massaged history and geographical manipulation. The layout is a snap shot of part of Round Oak Steel Works Brierley Hill and is based on a 7mm version of the Scalescenes boxfile layout. The name New Level Mill is from the New Level crossing on Level street which if you know the area is not at all level. Pictures to follow

• Like 9

Mike,

What a great initial teaser...... I cannot wait to see how this project develops. I have loved following your previous layout projects on RM Web and have enjoyed reading about them in GOG publications too. Your modelling style, techniques and skills are certainly an inspiration to me. It is heartening to see what you can do in a small amount of space in 7mm scale, particularly for someone such as myself who is so limited for space at home. 

Cannot wait to see more in due course. Thanks for sharing.

David

Looking forward to seeing this one develop Mike. Actually, I'm even just looking forward to seeing an overall plan or sketch for now - you have awoken my apetite! ;)
Reading your first post, I was just thinking about how I could go about building a really tiny O Gauge micro, depicting a single, small industry....
Called "Complete Bunkum Ltd." ;)

Good start on the trackwork Mike 

• Like 1

Hi Marc, I'll sort out a plan, but if you know my Reely Grate layout it's the same track plan with a wye point instead of a 34" radius right hand. I have started on one of the structures the lower section in the picture in the background. It's my usual method of 2mm liteply which will be skinned with embossed plastiCard.

IMG-0544.jpg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

On ‎18‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 03:08, Mike said:

Hi Marc, I'll sort out a plan, but if you know my Reely Grate layout it's the same track plan with a wye point instead of a 34" radius right hand. I have started on one of the structures the lower section in the picture in the background. It's my usual method of 2mm liteply which will be skinned with embossed plastiCard.

IMG-0544.jpg

I am assuming the picture in the background is a hint to the finished model. Looking good. 

Don't knock the background, Mike. Looks like some good ideas for storing long thin bits. Are they Pringles lookalike tubes on the right with a cut-down cola bottle on the left with the rear section left to lean brushes etc against?  Looking forward to further progress. As usual your layouts are an inspiration.

Best wishes

Rich

Oh yes Mike looking very good lots of nooks, cranny's and multi shapes and levels.    So much interest in such a small space it's very intriguing.  

I'm enjoying the build journey.

Best  :victory:

• Agree 1