New Level 7mm Micro

On 28/06/2019 at 15:04, Mike said:

Last building before I start on the baseboards. I haven't a clue what the valves and pipes do.:excl:

IMG-0690.jpg

I used to know some of the facilities guys at Longbridge car plant. As most of the pipework in the roof had been installed by contractors over the decades, and no-one kept proper records, they didn't know what most of it did either

Richard

• Like 2

Hard standing fitted (requiring a minimum of gap filling). with the track-work inlaid. Buildings just plonked but loco testing went well and no derailments - sighs with relief:yahoo_mini:

IMG-0701.jpg

• Like 12

Mike, those industrial buildings ard absolutely superb. Wonderful modelling.

The inlaid track also looks very effective. If you don't mind me asking, what materials and techniques have you used?  

On 05/07/2019 at 07:21, south_tyne said:

Mike, those industrial buildings ard absolutely superb. Wonderful modelling.

The inlaid track also looks very effective. If you don't mind me asking, what materials and techniques have you used?  

The buildings are constructed from suitably braced 2mm LitePly and covered with embossed PlastiCard it's just my preferred method of construction.

Back and end board painted but not with any sky detailing. Buildings not in their final position (still loose) as the paint was still wet. Second photo shows how the background will be treated.

IMG-0717.jpg

IMG-0709.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Fantastic layout Mike, I love the scene and  industrial buildings,  look forward to seeing more. I'm following this with interest as I've got a scalscenes boxfile to build!

Steve.

On 13/07/2019 at 07:00, Mike said:

The buildings are constructed from suitably braced 2mm LitePly and covered with embossed PlastiCard it's just my preferred method of construction.

Back and end board painted but not with any sky detailing. Buildings not in their final position (still loose) as the paint was still wet. Second photo shows how the background will be treated.

Hi Mike,

Thoroughly enjoying your build. May I ask what glue you use to glue the embossed PlastiCard sheet to LitePly?

Thanks

Paul

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/07/2019 at 18:53, PaulBee said:

Hi Mike,

Thoroughly enjoying your build. May I ask what glue you use to glue the embossed PlastiCard sheet to LitePly?

Thanks

Paul

Hi Paul, sorry for the delay in replying as my wife has spent time in hospital due to a re-occurrence of her cancer. The glue I use very sparingly is contact adhesive.

I have now finished the construction of thew last building and once I have added the background I can fix them in place and finish them properly.  

IMG-0739.jpg

IMG-0740.jpg

IMG-0741.jpg

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Hi Paul, sorry for the delay in replying as my wife has spent time in hospital due to a re-occurrence of her cancer. The glue I use very sparingly is contact adhesive.

Hi Mike, no need to apologise and thank you for the info. Sorry to hear your news, I hope your wife's situation improves.

Best wishes

Paul

• Agree 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice to catch up Mike and your new layout looks very good I'd like to see a video if you can make one work? 

It is typical of your micro's, small well modeled and full of inspiring detail.

Best

Edited by Barnaby
missing word

• 2 weeks later...

Boxing clever or just in case. I have constructed perhaps better described as butchered some wood a folding base support for the layout. It's rather like a folding paste table which can be carried like a suitcase and then opened out to allow the lockable legs to fold down and the whole thing act as the supporting structure. Lightweight, compact and easy to transport.

IMG-0878.jpg

IMG-0884.jpg

IMG-0885.jpg

• Like 11

Hello Alan long time no read, have you started any new projects yet?

Regards

EDIT   just had a look at your profile on here and can see you have been posting.  Some of the topics look of interest to me so I'll be visiting them.  Also there are a few names on there that I remember that I seem to have lost touch with since the server upgrade.

Edited by Barnaby

2 hours ago, Barnaby said:

Hello Alan long time no read, have you started any new projects yet?

Regards

EDIT   just had a look at your profile on here and can see you have been posting.  Some of the topics look of interest to me so I'll be visiting them.  Also there are a few names on there that I remember that I seem to have lost touch with since the server upgrade.

Hi Mark,

I have a small cameo layout on the go but progress is very slow. I haven't got round to starting a thread yet.

Alan.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Great project Mike.

For the inlaid track (which looks great!) did you use ply or filler? I noted you included a checkrail on the built trackwork and looking at the pics it looks like you have templated and used infills of thin ply?

Staying tuned for more :good: