Loksound 5

uk_pm

1 hour ago, Jim said:

My plan is to create a realistic acceleration curves to match the v4 and the v5 locos.

I intrigued to see if I can alter the “max diesel sound”. On the v4 it’s cv59 but, that doesn’t seem to exist on the v5.

The sound I use is excellent but I just lower the value to 100 from 128 on the V4s as it sounds a little high pitched.

I suspect that on the v5, cv59/60 are only changeable at the initial programming stage.

jim

Hi Jim,

Attached the manual if you have not got one (and anyone else that wants it) and any problems you can PM me if you want.

Wiggy.

51989_LokSound_5_ESUKG_EN_InstructionManual_Edition-5_eBook_copy.pdf

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Jim said:

I’ve got a bottle of single malt ready for later...!

My plan is to create a realistic acceleration curves to match the v4 and the v5 locos.

I intrigued to see if I can alter the “max diesel sound”. On the v4 it’s cv59 but, that doesn’t seem to exist on the v5.

The sound I use is excellent but I just lower the value to 100 from 128 on the V4s as it sounds a little high pitched.

I suspect that on the v5, cv59/60 are only changeable at the initial programming stage.

jim

Hi Jim,

CVs 59 and 60 are remnants of the V3.5 programming where it was just possible to alter the sound speed of the driving sound only.

Since V4, every sound can be pitched individually.

CVs 59 and 60 were just kept for 'historical reasons' to make it easier for the old boys being used to the 3.5.

They were never 'really' needed because there are new CVs for that.

For the V5, eight years after the last V3.5 had been produced, it was obviously decided to finally get rid of CVs 59 and 60.

So, open your programmer software, open or create a project, go to the 'decoder' settings (left column), scroll down to 'sound slot settings', select slot 1 and you can see the successors for the old CVs 59 and 60.

• Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, Hamburger said:

Hi Jim,

CVs 59 and 60 are remnants of the V3.5 programming where it was just possible to alter the sound speed of the driving sound only.

Since V4, every sound can be pitched individually.

CVs 59 and 60 were just kept for 'historical reasons' to make it easier for the old boys being used to the 3.5.

They were never 'really' needed because there are new CVs for that.

For the V5, eight years after the last V3.5 had been produced, it was obviously decided to finally get rid of CVs 59 and 60.

So, open your programmer software, open or create a project, go to the 'decoder' settings (left column), scroll down to 'sound slot settings', select slot 1 and you can see the successors for the old CVs 59 and 60.

Thanks for that!

Ive found the section to alter the pitch of the sound.

When I change values I can’t see how to update the decoder.

Ive tried with simple ones like volume.

Cheers

jim

1 hour ago, Jim said:

Thanks for that!

Ive found the section to alter the pitch of the sound.

When I change values I can’t see how to update the decoder.

Ive tried with simple ones like volume.

Cheers

jim

For altering 'sound slot settings' you mostly have to program CV 31 = 16 and CV 32 = 1 in advance. This is also shown in the programmer.

The V5 has about 2.000 CVs, but only CV 'numbers' up to 512 are being used.

So the decoder has to know which 'group' you want to change, this is being done with CVs 31 and 32.

• Informative/Useful 1

24 minutes ago, Hamburger said:

For altering 'sound slot settings' you mostly have to program CV 31 = 16 and CV 32 = 1 in advance. This is also shown in the programmer.

The V5 has about 2.000 CVs, but only CV 'numbers' up to 512 are being used.

So the decoder has to know which 'group' you want to change, this is being done with CVs 31 and 32.

Many thanks!

jim

Right...

with the help and advice from you guys and my new Lokprogrammer,

I’ve sorted my v5 and v4 compatibility issues....

probably...!

I had set the acceleration CV3 on the V4s to 252 giving a nice slow rate. 

On the v5, I set CV3 to 252 but that didn’t have the same slow rate. It was similar to a v3.5 on max CV3. On this forum a suggestion was made about setting cv23 to 127. That seemed to match the V4s performance. 

The other issue was the speed steps weren’t matching.

After hooking up the Lokprogrammer I noticed the speed curves were totally different even though I had set the V4’s cv6 to 0.

I have programmed all the locos with v4s and v5s to true “linear” acceleration, using the Lokprogrammer.

Then that was it..the v5 is now performing like the V4s.

I’ve learnt so much about decoders from you guys and using the Lokprogrammer 

so many thanks guys,

jim

Edited by Jim
Extra info
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Just an update from my previous postings on my V5 that I put into my D601 Warship. Initially I thought it was a PCB problem with the loco so I sent it back to a Kernow, I had this reply......

We have now examined the loco and can find no fault with it. We would have replaced it anyway, but as you have fitted detail to it, we will be returning the same loco to you with some instructions on how to get it work properly.

Unfortunately, some sound providers have sold sound decoders for a Warship (presumably a Class 43) which has been set up for running in the Bachmann B-B version. Had they waited to get one of our A-1-A A-1-A locos, they could have configured their decoder to run correctly with the coreless motor therein.

The back-EMF settings have to be just right for the type of motor and clearly, the decoder you have is not set up for our loco.

South West Digital have supplied us with some CVs, which when entered on an ESU chip will see it run correctly.

When you receive your loco back, please set the following CVs accordingly;

CV2 - 2

CV5 - 255

CV53 - 140

CV54 - 10

CV55 - 10

I made these adjustments and my Warship now runs really well

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 4 months later...

I had a couple of v5 decoders which worked ok in their respective locos. I swapped to better speakers and they've gone nuts. They're now stuck on 14 speed steps and the sounds have gone crazy (pressing any function button makes multiple sounds come on) I've tried resetting them; resetting my controller and software. 

Anyone have any advice?

On 04/05/2019 at 21:13, 7013 said:

Just an update from my previous postings on my V5 that I put into my D601 Warship. Initially I thought it was a PCB problem with the loco so I sent it back to a Kernow, I had this reply......

We have now examined the loco and can find no fault with it. We would have replaced it anyway, but as you have fitted detail to it, we will be returning the same loco to you with some instructions on how to get it work properly.

Unfortunately, some sound providers have sold sound decoders for a Warship (presumably a Class 43) which has been set up for running in the Bachmann B-B version. Had they waited to get one of our A-1-A A-1-A locos, they could have configured their decoder to run correctly with the coreless motor therein.

The back-EMF settings have to be just right for the type of motor and clearly, the decoder you have is not set up for our loco.

South West Digital have supplied us with some CVs, which when entered on an ESU chip will see it run correctly.

When you receive your loco back, please set the following CVs accordingly;

CV2 - 2

CV5 - 255

CV53 - 140

CV54 - 10

CV55 - 10

I made these adjustments and my Warship now runs really well

I my experience, the settings suggested to you are pretty standard on lots of chips.

I cannot see any CV quoted affecting the BEMF!  Am I wrong here. Interested.

Dave

3 hours ago, Mack1979 said:

I swapped to better speakers and they've gone nuts.

Very unlikely that this happens just by changing speakers:

In case of too low impedance or a short between speaker cables the amplifier switches off. CV8 = 8 will fix this.

In case of contact of speaker cables to track power the amp will blow up and is completely dead.

In case of contact to an internal decoder circuit this could happen.

If the hardware is still ok, the internal program setup could be affected.

In this case a reblow of the decoder might be necessary.

In rare cases it helps just to reprogram the DCC address.

If you try a reset by CV8 = 8 please note that after reset the loco has to be taken off track for a short moment.

Sometimes it is necessary to do the reset several times before it works.

Wolf

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone for your replies. After more experimentation today with other models it became clear either my sprog or jmri was the common factor.

It seems that somehow jmri had reverted to a 14 speed step setting for the sprog (I tell people things like this are user error all the time, but this was on a window I've never opened before someone suggested I check this) which is incompatible with the 28/128 speed setting on the decoder. Changing this sorted it out. 

Thanks again for all the responses!

Mack

Edited by Mack1979
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Having set this particular hare running, I'm interested to come back to after a few months.  

I'm still very dissatisfied with the acceleration capabilities of the Loksound 5.  There is a real risk that I am being a complete moron (quite a high probability, in fact), but my experience suggests that CVs 3, 4 and 5 are, in fact, unusable in the Loksound 5.  I say this because Bit 4 of CV 29 allows the programmer to choose between using these CVs (set to 0 - for the Loksound 5 DCC only, according to the manual) and 16 (speed curve through CV 67 - 94).  It is, in fact, impossible to select Bit 4 of CV 29 to 0 in a European Loksound 5, so we are stuck with CVs 67 - 94.  As far as I can tell, that also means that we are stuck with 27 speed steps.  So, returning to my initial post, I have set CVs 67 - 94 so that the initial speed steps are set to low values, and I can have a nice slow initial pull away.  But the quid pro quo is Concorde-like acceleration from around a scale 25 to 100.  I'm sure there are many superior features of this decoder, but it doesn't feel like progress to me.     

1 hour ago, uk_pm said:

Having set this particular hare running, I'm interested to come back to after a few months.  

I'm still very dissatisfied with the acceleration capabilities of the Loksound 5.  There is a real risk that I am being a complete moron (quite a high probability, in fact), but my experience suggests that CVs 3, 4 and 5 are, in fact, unusable in the Loksound 5.  I say this because Bit 4 of CV 29 allows the programmer to choose between using these CVs (set to 0 - for the Loksound 5 DCC only, according to the manual) and 16 (speed curve through CV 67 - 94).  It is, in fact, impossible to select Bit 4 of CV 29 to 0 in a European Loksound 5, so we are stuck with CVs 67 - 94.  As far as I can tell, that also means that we are stuck with 27 speed steps.  So, returning to my initial post, I have set CVs 67 - 94 so that the initial speed steps are set to low values, and I can have a nice slow initial pull away.  But the quid pro quo is Concorde-like acceleration from around a scale 25 to 100.  I'm sure there are many superior features of this decoder, but it doesn't feel like progress to me.     

I'm not sure what you are struggling with but if I can help then send me a PM and I'll help you out one way or another.

Wiggy.

• 1 year later...
On 16/04/2019 at 23:57, cravensdmufan said:

Update:

Found the answer to the brake squeal sound problem by consulting the Loksound v5 manual!   Reduced value of CV64!

So my final settings are: CV3=170    CV4=75    CV5=150    CV53=140    CV54=48    CV64=12

The Bachmann class 40 runs and sounds absolutely perfect now. :)

Thank you for sharing these settings, I have been trying to figure this out for a while and the settings you have kindly shared gave me a really good platform to work from. Thanks Andy.

• Thanks 1