Bachmann 2 HAP

steve1023

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, truffy said:

For shame, Ian. Living in France and using a Mac, "voilà" shouldn't be beyond you! ;)

I refuse to be shamed by my appalling French. I did my A Level in 1966, and hardly used the language until 2004. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 01/12/2020 at 08:00, JSpencer said:

EMU03.jpg.09a9f8d769bddc00d4990853bfab7ce2.jpg

Very interesting shots. The epb has a little more finesse all round for me: little things like the strips along the top of the side door drop lights, the top of the drivers cab window in yellow, the printed details on the plate on the cab front.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Very interesting shots. The epb has a little more finesse all round for me: little things like the strips along the top of the side door drop lights, the top of the drivers cab window in yellow, the printed details on the plate on the cab front.

The livery points you note for the HAP seem to match the preserved and recently cosmetically restored prototype, but do not reflect how it would have run in service.

Roy

Finally tested and inspected my NSE 2 Hap. The bodies are new mouldings but the cab fronts are less finely moulded but are not noticeable except the shed socket missing  the bottom cover on the driving trailer front. It is painted instead of moulded! The anti flash painted plate (under the shed socket), shoebeams and fuse boxes are all painted a far too light shade of grey as all of Bachmann EMUs before. The speedo cable etc are a nice touch on the motorcoach.

The coach lighting shows the DCC socket nicely in the motorcoach, but the driving trailer lighting is much dimmer! Doesn't bother me as I don't do lighting and DCC.

Overall ok, not up to the standard of their recent DMUs, and over priced in my view.

Cheers.

Hap DTC.jpg

Hap MC.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Anyone had a problem with the lighting on their unit? The lights and headcode work fine on the motor coach but I cannot get them to work on the trailer. There are switches on the underside to turn these on/off manually but neither lights work regardless of position. I've tried coupling one of my 2EPB trailers to the 2HAP motor coach and its lights work fine and with the same physical coupling. I can only assume there's a fault with the trailer coach.

I have a Blue/Grey version and am very pleased with it. No problem with removing the bodywork to fit the DCC chip and speaker. Runs very well, although top speed seems a little low.

I shall certainly buy another one when the price comes down.

On 03/01/2021 at 16:06, RFS said:

Anyone had a problem with the lighting on their unit? The lights and headcode work fine on the motor coach but I cannot get them to work on the trailer. There are switches on the underside to turn these on/off manually but neither lights work regardless of position. I've tried coupling one of my 2EPB trailers to the 2HAP motor coach and its lights work fine and with the same physical coupling. I can only assume there's a fault with the trailer coach.

I had a problem with the lighting in the trailer coach. Headcode worked fine but the interior lights did not work. I had a NSE one and a blue/grey one. The NSE one was fine, it was the blue/grey one I had the problem with. I returned it for an exchange.     

Mark

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 06/01/2021 at 21:26, Mark201 said:

I had a problem with the lighting in the trailer coach. Headcode worked fine but the interior lights did not work. I had a NSE one and a blue/grey one. The NSE one was fine, it was the blue/grey one I had the problem with. I returned it for an exchange.     

Mark

Thanks - glad I'm not alone. Have sent mine back for a replacement too.

On 07/01/2021 at 23:46, RFS said:

Thanks - glad I'm not alone. Have sent mine back for a replacement too.

I had a lighting problem on an EPB once. A pair of copper spikes were not quite touching the contact stripes in the roof.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, JSpencer said:

I had a lighting problem on an EPB once. A pair of copper spikes were not quite touching the contact stripes in the roof.

I had the same problem on a 205. Easy to test with the body off and a couple of patch leads. 

Roy

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The replacement arrived today and all is well with the new one.

Now I have another problem - couple of 2-EPBs where the lights in the trailer coach only come on in one direction. Had forgotten about the first unit as it runs on a schedule where it doesn't reverse, but the second one is a new issue. I've tried changing the conductive couplings to no avail. However the trailer from a 3rd 2-EPB works fine in both motor coaches, so it's not a problem with the coupling or the motor coach.

And if I replace the coupling with a piece of copper clad sleeper strip so that both connections are bridged, then the lights work correctly in both directions. 

Any ideas?

38 minutes ago, RFS said:

The replacement arrived today and all is well with the new one.

Now I have another problem - couple of 2-EPBs where the lights in the trailer coach only come on in one direction. Had forgotten about the first unit as it runs on a schedule where it doesn't reverse, but the second one is a new issue. I've tried changing the conductive couplings to no avail. However the trailer from a 3rd 2-EPB works fine in both motor coaches, so it's not a problem with the coupling or the motor coach.

And if I replace the coupling with a piece of copper clad sleeper strip so that both connections are bridged, then the lights work correctly in both directions. 

Any ideas?

I have the same problem with one of my 2-EPBs.

• RMweb Gold
On 12/01/2021 at 18:10, tender said:

I have the same problem with one of my 2-EPBs.

I got a quick reply from Bachmann but not of much help. Just suggested I return the units for repair at £26 + parts  (per unit) + cost of sending. As I mentioned earlier, coupling the coaches with a short piece of copper-clad strip, whereby the two connections are electrically joined, solves the problem. What I've done temporarily is wedge a thin piece of phosphor-bronze strip in the coupling pocket of the trailer coach and then connected up with the usual conductive coupling. Bit of a lash-up but it works for now. 

I don't really understand the wiring of the 2-EPB. With the 4-CEP there's one wire for the head codes (F0) and one wire for the interior lighting (F1). Still two wires with the 2-EPB but F0 works both. If tilt the trailer coach of a working model so that only the wheels on one side are making electrical rail contact, then the lights dim. But with the unit with my lash-up fix, the lights go out. I suspect it's the PCB that has the fault but I'll live with it for now. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Finally got round to buying an NSE 2-HAP.

One of the small horns was missing on arrival from above a cab. It's not worth sending it back over, so can anyone suggest who would do a replacement please? I can't see it listed anywhere as a Bachmann spare.

As noted in previous entries and as with my Bachmann CEP, I'm really struggling to get the body off. The rear almost seems to be stuck on and any force is likely to put too much pressure on the rear corner part of the body. Something, possibly the glazing, seems to be pulling the seating up one side, but I can't locate anything to cut that's snagging. It's a really poor design for keeping the body in place rather than just using screws.

Edited by BR(S)

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, BR(S) said:

Finally got round to buying an NSE 2-HAP.

One of the small horns was missing on arrival from above a cab. It's not worth sending it back over, so can anyone suggest who would do a replacement please? I can't see it listed anywhere as a Bachmann spare.

As noted in previous entries and as with my Bachmann CEP, I'm really struggling to get the body off. The rear almost seems to be stuck on and any force is likely to put too much pressure on the rear corner part of the body. Something, possibly the glazing, seems to be pulling the seating up one side, but I can't locate anything to cut that's snagging. It's a really poor design for keeping the body in place rather than just using screws.

I seem to recall having the same issue on my Cep, Thumper and Epb. I think there are a couple of clips on the glazing tight in the corner. I think a couple of pieces of thin plasticard finally got them free.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Can anyone confirm when 2 HAP  unit 6061 built in 1959, would have lost its whistles and have been fitted with horns?  Would the Periscope also have been removed around this time as well?

Bob C 

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Blobrick said:

Can anyone confirm when 2 HAP  unit 6061 built in 1959, would have lost its whistles and have been fitted with horns?  Would the Periscope also have been removed around this time as well?

Bob C 

With regards to the whistles being removed and replaced with horns, I seem to remember reading that this was done around about the same time the units received their yellow warning panels. Unfortunately, looking at the bloodandcustard website page on the 2-Hap's, they don't have a date for when 6061 received it's yellow panel.

Not sure about the periscopes, but from photographic evidence, it looks like they'd lost them when/before they were repainted blue.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Geep7 said:

With regards to the whistles being removed and replaced with horns, I seem to remember reading that this was done around about the same time the units received their yellow warning panels. Unfortunately, looking at the bloodandcustard website page on the 2-Hap's, they don't have a date for when 6061 received it's yellow panel.

Not sure about the periscopes, but from photographic evidence, it looks like they'd lost them when/before they were repainted blue.

Hi Geep7

Thanks for your input,   its just typical that the unit l m interested in details are not available on the B&C web site, TBH that's the go to site for most research of Southern units.  I had read a comment somewhere on the web that Bachmann's 6061 was suitable for the time scale 1959 to mid 60s, so your comments seem to confirm this comment, thank you for that. I can hear my wallet whimpering in the other room now!

Cheers

Bob C

• Like 1