Identify a SE London station

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Porkscratching said:

The os map is great, a shame i couldn't click and save it as it'd make a better plan for my purposes,  I've bookmarked the page anyhow, if i can get one of my more 'computer oriented' mates to grab a copy, i will!

As regards the DDs, I believe one of the reasons they didn't catch on was the difficulty and delay getting all the commuters off the thing in resonable time at CX !

There's one still existing ( tho not preserved as such) if I remember correctly... And there was a (very expensive ) 'kit' available too at one point it seems..

Hit the print screen button to the right of the F keys, some times marked PRT SC or similar and the open Paint or similar programme and use the paste menu to paste the screen image and then file, save as. Job done!

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, 10800 said:

As for the 4DDs, it wasn't so much Charing Cross but London Bridge and Waterloo East as the problem stations for transit times.

The 4DDs were very problematic for dwell times at all stations. It can be a problem for all double-deck stock which is why it is not the "silver bullet" solution for many overcrowded suburban routes. If one was building from scratch, there is probably a case for double-deck platforms to match.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Templot will import from the NLS maps as a background image. This should allow them to be printed to scale for your model. Importing  is quite straightforward, but I haven't worked out how to print them out yet...

Dave

I'll ask the Mrs to assist with the computer malarkey as she's 'cleverer than wot I am' ( computer wise anyway!)

A print out would be ideal, like I did for the older one, it's nice to have an actual plan on paper to work from...

Update...

Pic copy done instantly when the expert looked at it! :D

IMG_20190425_201611_693.JPG

Edited by Porkscratching

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, unravelled said:

Templot will import from the NLS maps as a background image. This should allow them to be printed to scale for your model. Importing  is quite straightforward, but I haven't worked out how to print them out yet...

Dave

Hi Dave,

You don't have to work it out -- you can ask on the Templot forum. That's what it's for --  http://85a.co.uk/forum/ smile.gif

Here's how to switch on the background images in the print dialog:

print_picture_shapes.png.09765cac7093ec8a41c7f4d92042de68.png

Only the areas with track templates will print. Add a dummy template across the whole area if necessary.

That will be at full model size. Here's how to print it smaller:

output_scaling.png.83a423d13d04018f6be39ee9347f2a54.png

Ask again on the Templot forum for a lot more info.

cheers,

Martin.

• Thanks 1

The 'st Johns 50 years on' arrived and is an excellent read with lots of pics and a pull out map giving good plan of how the lines connect with Lewisham, New X, Hither Green etc, a good recommendation, thanks again!

The Mitchell and Smith, titles CX to Dartford, CX to Orpington, etc are great too, a Middleton press series covering lots of areas, I'd recommend them highly if they do one appropriate for a line anyone's modelling.

I doubt it,  as the connection to it was completely gone and the bridge route re configured. I'm looking at a 1968/72 sort of time period

Coincidentally I used to often drive down Loampit hill on a few jobs years ago, and remember well the old station building that was the exLewisham Rd stn. (Part of the Greenwich pk line I believe)

It was, when I remember it, a kind of architectural salvage junk shop type set up ( Don't know if it's still there) 

I wish I'd called in and had a look round now!

Lewisham Road station was still there in May 2018 at least, according to Google Street View, although the roof is looking like it could do with some TLC. I lived in Tressillian Road from 1956-1970 overlooking the Nunhead line - in those days it was a scout hut.

1249214540_LewishamRoad3copy.jpg.53e85662ea45eb3176e24c35b31cf6ba.jpg

• Like 2

Player's no6 (& no10) takes me back to school days!

I remember the 'salvage' place looking more like this....I never at the time twigged it was a railway building or I'd have taken more interest, also unfortunately I was always going by in busy traffic and never got to have a look, I assume there would have been a view of the old track from the back of the shop..

Just had another look on t'internet and it appears, if I understand correctly, it's still functioning as a salvage / antique / junk shop.!

2818817_7437e3ea.jpg

Edited by Porkscratching

• 3 weeks later...

The architectural junk shop was still there last week.

There certainly is a DD coach preserved, in fact 2 of them. One resides at Sellindge, just up the road from where I live. the owning group has recenlty acquired the coach as the previous owner died. They've also got a very long lease on the storage facility so work can now progress on its restoration. there's a FB group too, Southern 4DD Group. Can I share 10800's photo with them with acknowledgement?

I was a driver at Addiscombe from 1978-1980 so was familiar with the area. If my train wasn't booked to stop at St.Johns, the guard would say "miss Ole Jack". Nobody knew why it was called Ole Jack!

Another source of freight traffic would have been the cross-London stuff that went from Hither Green to New cross then via the East London Line to the Eastern Region, or via Snow Hill to the Midland and Eastern, but that finished about 1968.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 26/04/2019 at 12:07, 10800 said:

I never knew there was a trailing crossover between the Lewisham lines so late on. This would have been taken out when the platforms were extended under the 10-car scheme.

Usual caveat. OS revisions are often not up to date when it comes to railway tracks.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 18/05/2019 at 16:17, Porkscratching said:

So we're you able to see out, old track bed, remaining oddments etc?

The Aladdins Cave site is bounded at the side by the  new curve (well, 1930s?) to Lewisham. Any remains of the track towards Greenwich would have been swept away.  The platfom level of the station building must remain, but I don't know if it is still accessible. Looking over the bridge parapet, I haven't spotted any access to track level.

Thanks

Dave

• Thanks 1

On 23/05/2019 at 08:51, roythebus said:

There certainly is a DD coach preserved, in fact 2 of them. One resides at Sellindge, just up the road from where I live. the owning group has recenlty acquired the coach as the previous owner died. They've also got a very long lease on the storage facility so work can now progress on its restoration. there's a FB group too, Southern 4DD Group. Can I share 10800's photo with them with acknowledgement?

Sure, thanks for asking.

• RMweb Gold
On 23/05/2019 at 08:51, roythebus said:

I was a driver at Addiscombe from 1978-1980 so was familiar with the area. If my train wasn't booked to stop at St.Johns, the guard would say "miss Ole Jack". Nobody knew why it was called Ole Jack!

I think "Ole Jack" must relate to Jack who was the Station Foreman at St. Johns in the late 1950s/early 60s. My grandmother lived in Lind Street, not far from the station and he seemed to be on duty everytime we passed through the station. Mum always had a chat with him, seems as though he was quite a character.

We lived at Mottingham on the Dartford Loop and, from what I remember, all non-rush hour  Loop trains used to stop at St. Johns.

Keith

• Informative/Useful 1

Interesting theory...!

I was on the same line as you , a couple of stops down (Sidcup) and certainly by the mid / late 70s I don't recall many of the off peak trains I ever went on stopping there.. perhaps by then they decided to give the timings a helping hand by missing out poor 'Ole Jack' if few passengers used it ?

• 4 months later...
On 14/04/2019 at 17:58, Porkscratching said:

Anyone got an idea where this may be, it's virtually certainly on the SE London / Kent lines I'd think...caption says St Johns, but doesn't look right to me, having passed through there many times... ( tho obviously I could well be wrong). Any thoughts or info ?

50_stjohns5_1.jpg

St Johns, here is the history of the area: https://www.londonreconnections.com/2013/accidents-and-islands-a-history-of-st-johns-station-part-1/