Following posts made by favourite contributors

Hi. Am I missing something,  I used to be able to click on my icon (top right of page) for a drop down of posts I am following. This no loner happens. 'Manage Followed Topics' does not do that at all. It appears to show only page after page ALL topics only.  Also notifications of posts have stopped showing as well.

What am I doing wrong please.

• Agree 1

its just the new system, all the old ways that we prefered have gone. my daily routine was "my content", "followed content" then "new content" and now all thats gone, you can sort of get the my content by making custom settings in the "my activity" but its just not the same. and i dont get why everybody has to see what everybody else is "liking" in the activity feed and why it shows on our profile pages, but i digress

• Agree 5

• Moderators
31 minutes ago, sir douglas said:

i dont get why everybody has to see what everybody else is "liking" in the activity feed

You don't have to see what everyone's liking, if you are using Activity Streams the correct way you can turn that off in most streams by using the filters to Show Me > Content Only.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, lofty1966 said:

That would be coz it's new

;-/

I know is new and that's the problem and precisely why  'it's just not the same'  as in the old was much better and a lot easier to use.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, jazz said:

I know is new and that's the problem and precisely why  'it's just not the same'  as in the old was much better and a lot easier to use.

We said the same about the previous upgrade, 

but we all got used to it and will get used to this one.

The only thing that's constant in life is change!

I also find the new system awkward and a little unwieldly to use.

I have set up as Andy has said but for what ever reason I don't seem to get the frequency of input from those that I previously followed.   Maybe it's a mixture of me not being set up correctly and or the sites/ people I want to follow are not set up in the right way either.

As Sir Douglas describes above that is me too right now.

On ‎14‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 21:19, sir douglas said:

its just the new system, all the old ways that we preferred have gone. my daily routine was "my content", "followed content" then "new content" and now all that's gone, you can sort of get the my content by making custom settings in the "my activity" but its just not the same.

I've been set up on the updated Forum since it went live but I still find it somewhat cumbersome.

I'll go back and confirm that I've got all the correct boxes ticked as the information and interest on RMweb is fantastic and not something I want to lose which is how I feel just now.

I appreciate the techy work Andy Y and others put in here and will try and get myself back involved like I used to be eg I've gone from interacting both receive and send multiple times daily to some days no interaction.

Off to review my settings . . . . .  . AGAIN.

Regards

• Agree 2

One thing I have asked Andy about is the numbering of each post within a forum.  He has said that it cannot be added to the new set up.  It was so easy to refer to the comment number when, for example, you sometimes have over 300 comments on the Warley NEC or Ally Pally exhibitions.

Peter

Edited by Crewlisle
Added number of comments on Warley NEC & Ally Pally forums.
  • Agree 2

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Crewlisle said:

One thing I have asked Andy about is the numbering of each post within a forum.  He has said that it cannot be added to the new set up.  It was so easy to refer to the comment number when, for example, you sometimes have over 300 comments on the Warley NEC or Ally Pally exhibitions.

Peter

And in my reply to you, along with each time it's been raised on here I said...

It doesn't matter how many times it's asked for it cannot be done - the software system works in a completely different way. The numbered posts are irrelevant anyway as they are rendered useless if any content has to be moved/deleted for any reason. Every post has a unique permalink url (found by clicking on the share icon at the top right of any post) which is much more useful as it can still be found even if it is moved.

24 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Every post has a unique permalink url (found by clicking on the share icon at the top right of any post) which is much more useful as it can still be found even if it is moved.

The permalink argument holds little water in my view, because I think the previous software made the same claim. That permalink style no longer works. Permalinks that change the way they work with every software flavour of the month aren't much cop are they?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

And some contributors have tried to provide indexes to their long threads. This was easy by post number but very cumbersome in any other way.

I appreciate that there were very good reasons for the change but there do not seem to be many gains for the users, as opposed to the admin people, compared with the downsides. 

But since Andy continues to allow us to use his expensive resources for free I am not complaining. I have simply worked out a different way of finding what I want to follow. A possible gain if I am determined and exercise self control is that I might spend less time on-line and more time modelling.

Jonathan

THE ABOVE IS TRYING TO USE THE FORUM AS AY HAS SUGGESTED. oops sorry for the caps they were a previous setting.   For starters when you hover NEAR the top right icon you get prompted that this is for reporting the post it only says share when you directly get over the icon.  That can be misleading and as far as directing someone to a specific reply in a post it's a bit heavy handed.

It is however all we have so that's how I have to do it.

Best

PS.  Still not getting the hits from the people I used to interact with, no idea why this is but it has led to me not visiting here as much as I previously did. 

Some may say good. :wild:

Aww God even trying to refer to a particular post within a post the process is not clear.

To get to AY's post that I wanted to refer to you must click on the greyed out arrow righthand side of the quoted text of my post above, simple once you know but really is that better than just referring to a post number and a page number of a particular posting.

Hopefully with use it will become second nature.

Best

Edited by Barnaby