Layouts using DCC JMRi and WiFi throttle or Engine Driver.

At a recent running day with my layout Arisaig and interesting observation was made by one of my operators . The quest became more of a challenge and an eureka moment. With more and more layouts being operated from a tablet ,iPad or iPhone using some form of computer integration , why do operators have to stand behind the layout given that the use of JMRi allows freedom from wired throttles.  With this freedom the ability see routes selected is not always possible . What about building a schematic display with LEDs on the back wall of the fiddle yard ,  and bring the operator to the front of the layout . Easier to talk to members of the public .

Thinking about this comment from the observation, kind of provided the opportunity to re think how layouts are operated. I wonder how many times modellers have tripped over trailing cables , the NCE powercab which is my preferred choice , I’ve lost count the number of cable tangles between two throttles or number of occasions the wires have become in conflict with size 9 feet.  

The cogs of thought were immediately engaged and the results shown in this posting. A minic panel complete with LEDs was built and attached to the back panel of each fiddle yard. Take two wires from the correct alpha minic  board to the Dcc power bus. Eureka each operator at the fiddle yard ends of the layout has a comprehensive over view of the route selected.  

The facial panel will be tidied up later and the loose paper and plastic around the led bezels removed. Within the next couple of weeks I will be ordering the remaining LEDs to complete the job before the layouts outing in The  summer . The bare wood will be stained with wood stain  and blend into the fiddle yard. The bare wood between the schematic representation of the layout and the fiddle yard will have an insert installed this provides a visual representation of the break point between fiddle yard and rest of the layout. A good tip for building the schematic representation is I used a good quality white printing paper, inserted into a plastic laminating sleeve. This sleeve was then passed through an office laminator to seal and then cut to fit. The laminated fascia was secured with mounting spray. The surface wiped down with a damp cloth to remove the glue, and allowed to dry for 24 hours. The holes drilled for the LEDs using a drill , and the LEDs secured , the wiring is all done behind the panel which stands about 50mm depth from the back of  the fiddle yard. 
Now when operating the layout operators using WiFi throttle or Engine Driver  no longer require access to the control panel. The throttle to operate the train is on the tablet , iPhone or IPad.  At the time of testing I was using my Collection of DMUs sitting at my office table with feet up playing trains. This is Arisaig and is fully controlled with DCC using JMRi although still learning how to use JMRi properly. 97C5D30F-0A59-441D-B8A6-96589033D946.jpeg.f6425a321d51c2029a7d2cd31a9bf4d7.jpeg

EEECEB89-9E0E-4C43-A059-C96F42222A8C.jpeg.b8525e160e8718050483aca8eec3edd9.jpeg
With a little bit of imagination anything is possible. 

Stuart

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

We use JMRI with Withrottle server and now we have abandoned fixed hardware panels.

The panel appears on whatever mobile device the operator is using and routes are set (or simple turnout changes) made by tapping the screen.

The latest layout will uses Raspberry Pi 3B+ with a touch screen as the base computer.

For the record the DCC system underlying our setups is Lenz.

John K

Edited by John K

• 1 month later...

We use the Z21 with all wireless phone/tablet throttles , five operators , works great , we have a dedicated signal man with a conventional mimic panel and interlocked 

Lever frame. Drivers drive to signals JLTRT 

dave 

Edited by Junctionmad

• 8 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I used front operation back in the 90s on my 0 gauge exhibition layout using a Handheld on a lead with the turnout control switches and indicator LEDs in a small box taped to the back. I now use DCC and have adopted sound. I do have some old ESU cordless throttles that work with the Lenz but these are not so good with sound as you cannot use all 28 functions. I am now build a new system using an Arduino, Motor shield and a wifi unit the size of an arduino. This will allow a number of Android phones (without simms) to run an App available from Googleplay developed by Bill Cuthbert for about £6 

This means I can have the operstors where the trains are, having full controls and not be tied to a single processor running JRMI.  The unit has cost less than £50 quid for the unit. Power supply is  laptop type PSU. Android phones are available pretty cheap

I am also considering the MERG system as I believe you can use their Thottles with a knob for speed over Wifi  that should cost less than a gaugmaster wireless throttle alone for the whole system with a couple of throttles.

Don

• Like 1

On 10/02/2020 at 18:09, Donw said:

I am now build a new system using an Arduino, Motor shield and a wifi unit the size of an arduino. This will allow a number of Android phones (without simms) to run an App available from Googleplay developed by Bill Cuthbert for about £6 

This means I can have the operstors where the trains are, having full controls and not be tied to a single processor running JRMI.  The unit has cost less than £50 quid for the unit. Power supply is  laptop type PSU. Android phones are available pretty cheap

I'm guessing this is a DCC++ setup, Don? What did you add to enable the WiFi functionality? 

Justin

• RMweb Gold

MY home layout runs wit A DR5000 and booster, JMRi is used for a signalling centre and wifi/web server.  I id trial iTrain instead of JMri, it was very good however the cost to run an iPad was too much so I went back to JMRi.

I am very pleased with the setup especially as you can enter all your sound locos in the roster with all the function buttons.

My exhibition layout is still running an NCE power cab with a JMri panel but it may change in the future.

It has been nice to push the technology within the hobby.

Regards

Doug

• RMweb Gold
On 13/02/2020 at 13:49, justin1985 said:

I'm guessing this is a DCC++ setup, Don? What did you add to enable the WiFi functionality? 

Justin

Hi Justin, the Wifi is provided by an ESP32 Development board.  An Android phone can connect to the Wifi Client. An app on the phone formats the commands which are passed via the wifi to the ESP32 which passes them to an Arduino. See here for the system architechture https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DCC-Controller-using-WiFi-Android-App-PCB-for-sale/233281484198?hash=item3650a8f5a6:g:5dwAAOSw4vRdImaB

Don