DR4088LN issues getting to work

model-trains

My system so far includes

iTrain V4

DR5000

5x DR4088LN

I only have 1 board of 4 with track laid, droppers to track bus and 2 of the DR4088LN's nothing more.

I have the DR5000 connected and software installed, so far this looks very impressive. My issue is the DR4088LN’s and details in the latest Digikeijs manual, or lack of them!

I initially connected 3x DR4088LN’s but when I found issues with 1, I added all 5 in a row, so they are as follows from the DR5000 LocoNet T connection...

DR5000_____DR4088LN[0]_____DR4088LN[0]_____DR4088LN[0]_____DR4088LN[9]_____DR4088LN[16]

The numbers in brackets [ ] being the number of feedback I have currently connected.

The DR4088LN manual Page 6 states... (I have added my notes on the end as I proceed)

3.1.1 Programming with the DR5000

1. Connect the DR5000 to the DR4088LN-xx to be programmed. (DONE)

2. (Normally it is not necessary to disconnect other feedback modules from LocoNet®.

3. Open the DR5000 Tool. (DONE)

Here is where my problems begin

4. First the DR4088LN-xx must be assigned the start address.

So I clicked on LocoNet T on the PC screen image of DR5000 to open LocoNet properties

In Devices I am given 4 options, 5013, 5033, 5039, 5088 NOT 4088? See image

At present I have just a small section of my layout prepared, droppers are added for the Track Bus and to the DR4088LN’s, you will see from the above that module 4 has currently 9 feedbacks added,  module 5 has 16 added. I have no turn out motors added yet, I wanted to get the basics for the track right first.

There is another issue also, modules 1,2,3 & 5 all have a flashing green light, module 4 with 9 feedbacks has no light at all. I have changed wires round, pressed the program button, held it down etc, nothing, no light on this at all?

It was pointless me continuing any further, partly due to the last issue raised and also that the 5013, 5033, 5039 and 4088 do not relate to the module DR4088LN?

Help please, I have also just sent an email to Digikeijs.

Paul

Below is the balance of the manual instructions

It was pointless me trying to proceed from this point, partly due to the last issue mentioned and also that the 4 options

5. Open the turnout control panel that contains the desired start address that the DR4088LN-xx is to receive.

6. Press the programming button on the DR4088LN-xx. The green LED starts flashing to indicate that the DR4088LN-xx is in programming mode.

7. To assign the start address, switch the turnout address e.g. 1 once (i.e. only red or green!).

8. The green LED on the DR4088LN-xx now flashes in a different cycle to signal that the DR4088LN-xx next expects the number of feedback signals. The number of feedback units is again sent to the DR4088LN-xx via a turnout command. 

9. Normally, if no DR4088 (S88) is connected to the DR4088LN-xx, this is address 16.

10. In the DR5000 tool, call the turnout control panel which contains the address corresponding to the number of feedback signals.  

11. Normally, this is address 16. Again, only red or green switching applies here.

12. The DR4088LN-xx automa1cally terminates the programming mode and is now programmed with the start address and the number of feedbacks.

190415_LocoNet_setup1.jpg

Edited by model-trains

I have watched the video twice, it is very jumpy. But the worst for me is I cannot hear what is being said, I am considerably deaf, classed as severe, I got a new hearing aid today, latest version with highest capabilities for my level but I cannot tell what is being said.

I opened the feedback tab, second tab in LNET Properties, clicked 1 then switched off the DR5000 and back on, it appeared to scan 1-16 but I am not sure whether to press the program button after the scan or how to proceed to 17-32 etc.

I am grateful for everyone's help, when available to do so, but I am so close to saying sod it. YouTube is good if clearly prepared which the demo doesn't appear to be, but not much good if I cannot hear it but that is my issue no one elses.

Thanks again for any help when those replying have time, for that I am really grateful.

Edited by model-trains

Have you tried using subtitles? The look pretty good and clear to me on this video and describes what you need to do, much the same as the other video - ignore that it is a Z21 app, just to the same for your DR5000 as described earlier

Edited by WIMorrison

Thanks for the links, yesterday was a bad day health and mobility wise, made worse by a new hearing aid, I only have 35DbA in one ear the other is dead, on top of everything else it just sent me and my head spinning. So today is another day so hopefully I can move forward.

First I watched Jame's video again and stepped slowly through the sub titles, then I watched the second video in your last link. Here is where I am now...

Hardware

5x DR4088LN added to DR5000 controller

1st, 2nd, 3rd DR4088 from DR5000 have no feedbacks in them.

4th has 9 in

5th has 16 in

First 3 and 5th have a flashing green light but No flashing red light?

The 4th with 9 feedbacks has No green light and No red light.

I am expecting the feedback modules to be 1 to 5 with feedbacks 1-16, 17-32, 33-48, 49-64, 65-80

Video's

In the image in my first post you will see the DR5000 LNET Properties, on the first tab LNCV Programming

When I click the second tab, feedback monitor, I can see the feedback table.

The system defaults at 1-16 so I set this, switched off the DR5000 then back on and it scanned the first 16 feedback positions, these turned red.

But then on Jame's video at 5.28 minutes it goes to another view, this time reading the top of the box it is the DR5000 switching turnouts box.

Where on earth is this item, I have checked my DR5000 on screen programming and cannot find it anywhere?

Am I right in assuming, when I find the DR5000 switching turnouts box, that I have to program every feedback, one by one into the set positions eg, 1-16, 17-32 etc

Thanks for your help it is always appreciated.

What you need to do is;

a) switch system on 

b) switch track power on

c) ensure DR4088 #4 and #5 are connected via Loconet cable to DR5000

d) ensure that green light on #4 and #5 are flashing green

e) press button on module #4 to get light flashing faster

f) send turnout address #33 from DR5000

g) send turnout address #16 from DR5000

h) press button on module #4

i) module #4 is now set

j) repeat for module #5 with module #5 start address

• Informative/Useful 1

Thanks for the schedule but I am still struggling

Prior to receiving your email I have changed over 2 of the DR4088LN's

The one which does not light up at all is now in position 3 with no feedbacks added, so we now have

DR5000____DR4088LN[0]-m1____DR4088LN[0]-m2____DR4088LN[0]-m3____DR4088LN[0]-m4____DR4088LN[16]-m5

Counting from the DR5000 the only feedback module with feedbacks attached is number m5

I completed stages a to e, the green light is flashing faster.

Question - should item f be 32? This items states... f) send turnout address #33 from DR5000

This again is where I am stuck.

Image 1 shows my feedbacks it has scanned 1-16

Image 2 shows a screen grab from Jame's video where he is sending turnout address 107

I cannot find this page top corner states... DR5000 switching turn outs

How do I send a turnout address?

190416_Feedbacks.jpg

190416_James_video_feedbacks.jpg

Apologies - it is 49 you send as that is the first feedback number for module #4  (I gave the number for module 3 :( ), the second number you send is 16 because that is how many feedbacks there are on the module.

you don't need to have any feedbacks connected, indeed you don't even need a track just a command station with Loconet and the modules connected to it.

• Like 1

I understand, first number 1, 17, 33, 49, & 65 for modules 1 to 5, 16 per module brings me to 80 feedbacks

But how do I send these addresses, Jame's video seems to include a different page to what I have, as shown in image above. Items f & g? :scratchhead:

Like most things I am sure it will be simple when I have done the first one, the Digikeijs manual is total rubbish, Jame's confirms that hence the video but I don't think his first video for this is that easy to follow, even more so when I cannot find the page he refers to.

Thanks for your help. Tomorrow will probably be my last day with the trains until after Easter. 

I can almost hear the cheers. :stop: 

Have a nice Easter break, forecast says some parts of UK will be hotter than Corfu   :sungum:

You simply send it as if it was a turnout - the DR5000 displays 16 turnouts per page, so set it to start at 1, 17, 33, 49, & 65 to send the start address and then change back to start at 1 to send 16 for the number of feedbacks.

Don't try to overthink this, it really is as simple as described.

EDIT - if you don't understand the DR5000 then looking at the videos from Rudy may help - here is the first one in his series

and here is the second (going to 10 minutes may help you, but I advise you to look at all of it)

Edited by WIMorrison

Many thanks for your help.

Regarding the last videos they were not needed the DR5000 is installed for USB and working, the issue was the missing page mentioned above, the missing control box I couldn't find in the LocoNet T box and tabs, that was because it is not there!

I have found it, 'DR5000 Switching Turnouts'  it is not in LocoNet T Box settings, it is in Control settings. 

Now to set up the modules, I have the missing jigsaw piece.  I did not know of this item as I have not got that far, all I have is one board of 4 with a Track Bus and droppers for the Feedbacks. No point motors, no locos running but hopefully I will get to that stage soon, I appreciate there is a lot to do first but with the knowledge of this missing control I can now hopefully move forward.

Today I have set up the following...

Module 1 - Set 17 and 16

Module 2 - Set 33 and 16

Module 3 - NO lights at all, I consider this faulty and am awaiting to hear from Digikeijs

Module 4 - Set 65 and 16

Module 5 - Set 81 and 16 - should I have set this to 80 and 16 as it is the last one?

Items noted when setting the modules.

- only the first 16 feedbacks are red

- the cursor runs block to block in the LocoNet as setting each one up

- I only needed to click on the feedback button 17, 33, 65 & 81, I didn't need to click Go

- The fast flashing automatically reverted to slow flashing after setting the second setting 16, I didn't need to press it again.

There are red flashing light on the modules shown on the videos, mine are not on. I understand they will be when a loco is drawing current from the track, I will no doubt find out in due course.

Next I must look to setup the 16 feedback in Module 5, then add and set up the 9 in Module 4, from then on I will be able to switch off add a section, set it up and switch on. 

A big step forward I think, thanks for your help, it is always appreciated. 

190417_Feedbacks.jpg

The first items I have setup are the 5 feedback modules, the actual feedbacks are not added yet but, will take turn-out addresses 1-80 inclusive.

Does this mean, that any turn out I have added to the layout using these addresses will need re-addressing using addresses higher than 80, that is how it seems to me at this stage as feedbacks have used turnout addresses first.

Thank you for any replies in advance.

The first 16 are red because they are also defined in the s88 bus - remove them from the s88 and bus and they will not be red.

you have NOT defined the DR4088 as accessories you only used the accessory panel to configure them. 

You can start numbering the turnouts from 1, or 101, or …

BTW - the last videos showed you where to look in the DR5000 and how to use it, that is why I posted them and also told you where the specific point in the video was to solve your issue ;) 

• Friendly/supportive 1

Should the first 16 feeedbacks remain red, do I need to remove them, does it make any difference if left?

I have checked the DR5000 manual for accessories it brings up 2 references, the first is in contents, the second is in 2.3 Hardware overview

4  LocoNet® T Bus (LocoNet® accessories, handset controller, etc.)

I cannot find where to set DR4088 as an  accessories?

Thanks for your help

Paul,

Have you read my previous answer, I explain why they are red and how to resolve the issue - but you can leave them red if you want, just do not use the s88 bus.

Why do you want to set the 4088 as accessories - they are not accessories, the are current sensing feedbacks?

Hi Iain

Yes I read the comment you posted.

The first 16 are red because they are also defined in the s88 bus - remove them from the s88 and bus and they will not be red.

Having read it I said to myself, remove them they will not be red, but will it work without then, as for S88 they probably would be no issue. Then I considered the two videos had them so decided to leave them, providing I don't use the S88 leave and move on.

Then I read

you have NOT defined the DR4088 as accessories you only used the accessory panel to configure them. 

Having read this I took it I should define the DR4088 as an accessory, hence my question.

Sometimes messages can be misunderstood in the reading that wouldn't be in person. You know what you are talking about Iain, it is all new to me. I have only had Hornby eLink, a simple system, make all rail live, no blocks in the system, good for beginners, but terrible for fixing issues, even more terrible with all the promises of Loco Detection is coming, coming soon, etc. Six years of hot air promises hence my change to this system with iTrain, but as said it is all very new to me and the manuals for iTrain and Digikeijs are very vague, hard to follow, even trying to read between the lines.

Next I need to watch the videos again and see how to set up the modules. Do the feedbacks have to run 1-16 in order etc, of can they be feedback 1=22, 2=37, 3=15 etc? (example) Although I started setting feedbacks in iTrain in number order subject to track, as this is a double loop, with two other lines coming in and a series of sidings the feedbacks are not set numerically. 

Thanks for your help.

Paul 

As I have said before and on here, don’t overthink this - it isn’t that complicated and if you follow the advice around it will all come together.

you can have have them in any groups of 16 that you want, but have them sequential is generally easier for people - and if you set iTrain up to show them in blocks of 16 as discussed previously then they will show in iTrain as 1/5 for feedback 5 on module 1, 2/4 for feedback 4 on module 2 which you would enter as 20 - I always like to make thing easy for myself, especially for fault finding which always seems to come along :(

UPDATE

The 4 DR4088LN are now sorted, 1=1-16, 2=17-32, 3=33-48, 4=49-64

The faulty one is being returned and a new one has been purchased which I should have tomorrow. It would be 5=65-80 

All sections of the first board are now live with no shorts. The next stage will be to prepare the 2way and 3way Peco ElectroFrog points.

I will probably reprogram the feedback modules to between 101-116, etc as my locos and point motors are already set using addresses between 1 and 50, I will extend this to have the addresses between 1-100 and  will renumber the addresses of feedbacks in iTrain to match the module connections which should be much faster to do. 

Signals can then be reset to addresses between 200-300 in iTrain

Edited by model-trains

I don't think you want to move the accessory numbers away from the logical starting number of 1 .....  Especially if numbers will be 'typed in' ... 101 takes longer than 1 !!!

Only the Hornby Select controller uses an inbuilt split in numbers ...

On all other controllers which support both locos and accessories, the number ranges are totally separate ... As defined in the DCC standard.

( in earlier days, roco did allow points to be given loco numbers so as to be uasable from the maus2 handset which could do locos 1-99 with lights and 2 functions .... Perhaps this was the idea Hornby adapted for their select??? )

Loco numbers can now be any convenient number from 1-9999 ( or a bit higher on some controllers ) and accessories to over 2000 ( subject to controller limits )

You may therefore prefer to look at using a system based on the cabside number 8-)

Eg omitting 0 or the middle number to turn eg  37 701 to 4 digits  3771 or 3701

Whilst it might also seem a gd idea to start a station at a simple round number eg 20,  100 ... When using display controllers and some accessory decoders,  they can only be programmed in blocks of 4 or 8 .... Whilst others ate available as singles, doubles or sixes...but each output is freely numbered.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Thanks for your comments Phil S

I have only ever used Hornby Elink DCC (except for 3 rail Hornby as a kid) so I guess that thinking is still with me.

I have no plans for hand held control as my mobility is very limited, hence the Hornby eLink and PC, now moving to iTrain and PC.

Feedbacks being most important with the using DigiKeijs, DR5000, DR4088LN's it is probably best as you say to leave these on the logical 1-80, 5 modules of 16 feedbacks. My thinking was influenced by the fact loco's and many point motors are already programmed, but it is probably better everything is re-programmed afresh.

Although I have had two smaller layouts previously (Hornby Elink), using the Digikeijs system and iTrain are very different, it is all new to me.

Thanks again for your comments they are always appreciated.

Edited by model-trains