TRAINWEST 2020 - CANCELLED

Geoff Endacott

Bentley Model Railway Group Present:
TRAINWEST 2020
CANCELLED
THE SPRINGFIELD COMMUNITY CAMPUS, BEECHFIELD ROAD,
CORSHAM, WILTS., SN13 9DN.

TOP QUALITY LAYOUTS IN VARIOUS SCALES AND GAUGES

Admission: adult £8.00, child (5-17) £5.00, group (2+3) £20.00. Sunday after 1.00pm: adult £5.00, child £2.00, one child free with each paying adult.

Advance tickets: adult £6.00, party rate (10+ people) £5.00, child £3.00. Available from Trainwest, 84 Hardens Mead, Chippenham, Wilts., SN15 3AF. Send a cheque payable to Trainwest and an s.a.e. Also available to callers at the Springfield Community Campus.

Online booking: https://www.wegottickets.com/f/11934 

Layouts:

An Clar (Nn3): Mark Fielder

Atherley Narrows (HO): Chris Round

Beijiao (HO): Paul Stapleton

Canada Street (EM): Peter Johnson

Choates Lane (N): Stuart Conlon & Tim Hitch

Derwent Road (O9): Bill Flude

Edge Hill (EM): Paul Segar

Evercreech New (EM): Southampton MRS

Fenchurch St Peter (OO): George Woodcock

Fenny Stratford (OO): David Court

Great White River Navigation Extraction & Steam Packet Company (On30): Norman & Meg Raven

Hawthorn Dene (N): Les Richardson

Heybridge Wharf (3mm): Mike Corp

Oak Road (OO): Mike Buick

Parsons Vale (OO): Rob Owst

Port d'Etropal (1:12) Simon Dawson

Schwarzsee (HO): Martin Axford

Vale of Oxbury (N): Carl Woodwards

Woodhead (N): Gary Atkinson

Woodside (OO): Dave Spencer

There are still a few gaps. Offers of potential replacement layouts are welcome.

Trade and Societies:

Andy Lynch

Branchlines

C&L Finescale

David Smith Books

Frome Model Centre

Golden Arrow

Just in Case

Leigh Model Centre

Lynton & Barnstaple Railway

Model Electronic Railway Group

Model Railway Developments

N Gauge Society

National Model Railroad Association

Squires Model & Craft Tools

Sunningwell Command Control

TTC Diecast

W M Collectables

Wessex Wagons

Woolfall's 3DP

Keep logging in for further updates.

Geoff Endacott

Edited by Geoff Endacott
Exhibits updated.
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/04/2019 at 15:25, nickwood said:

Looking forward to seeing Dave Spencer's new Woodside layout :good:

Dave showed me some photos recently he is making a lovely job of it.

Meg and I look forward to showing again with our On30 snow scene, The Great White River Navigation, Extraction and Steam Packet Company - my aim is one day to have a name that’s longer than the layout!

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Only just over 3 months to go until this show, better get the layout finished...

For those who want help selling the trip to wives, girlfriends,  or want to make the most of the trip, Corsham is worth a visit and has a lovely little high street with a few quirky antique shios (including one owned by TV Flog it presenter Paul Martin and often runs the shop on a Saturday) The top end of the high street was used for BBCs Poldark. For refreshments my preferred drinking establishment is the Flemish Weaver which has a good selection of Ales and is crammed full of artefacts including a Playcraft class 21. The Methuen Arms also does a good pint and is 10 mins walk from the Venue towards town.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Geoff Endacott changed the title to TRAINWEST 2020 - 17 & 18 OCTOBER

Was about to book advanced ticket at the weekend but called out so was unable.

Sorry to hear the postponement but as 37114 says, glad it is postponed and not cancelled, will have to wait until closer the date for booking tickets as I will not know my diary that far in advance.

Geoff will the advance tickets available still be available please? And those that have already purchased for the April dates will they be honoured? Only asking so you don't get inundated in the near future.

Thanks something to look forward to later in the year now :)

The revised exhibition is taking shape.

Of the 21 layouts which were due to attend the show next month:

Nine have confirmed that they will still be coming in October.

Seven have postponed until Trainwest 2021 next April.

One has postponed until Trainwest 2022.

Four have yet to decide.

One layout has been brought forward from Trainwest 2021 (to make room for the postponements.)

The trade content is starting to take shape.

I would also like to make a request to help the cashflow of our ticket agency whose business has been all but wiped out for several months. If you would like to come to Trainwest in October please, if at all possible, could you buy a ticket now. We will ensure that if, for any reason ticket holders can't attend this coming October, tickets can be carried forward until Trainwest 2021 on 10 & 11 April next year.

https://www.wegottickets.com/f/11934

Many thanks.

Geoff Endacott

The revised show is taking shape. I now have 16 confirmed layouts with only room for a few more.

Trade support is looking good too. 

One consequence of the postponement is that Trainwest 2021 is now full. I am therefore booking layouts for Trainwest 2022. (I have actually got one for Trainwest 2024.)

Recommendations for layouts to fill the few gaps in October this year are still welcome.

Geoff Endacott

Exhibition Dismantler and Reassembler

• Like 1

I have now managed to add three N gauge layouts, Choates Lane, Hawthorn Dene and Vale of Oxbury. There are also two non-standard overseas layouts, An Clar (Ireland) and Port d'Etropal (France).

We are now up to 20 layouts which is the usual total for a normal Trainwest show in April.

Geoff Endacott

• 2 weeks later...

That was very quiet for the first day of Trainwest. We didn't have the usual queue at the door, but then neither did we have any problems with rucksacks. I had obviously worked out the correct amount of float we needed because we didn't run out. I must have also got the print run for the guides right because we didn't run out and seem to have exactly the right amount left for tomorrow. I expect that we will sell out.

I must say that it was nice not to have the usual complaints about the catering. There were no long waits to get a cup of tea or coffee and no one moaned about the prices. We must have got something right.

It is hard to pick which was the best layout. My personal favourite was the Emperor's New Suit layout by H C Andersen.

There were none of the usual complaints from traders about lack of sales which means they must have all done extremely well.

So tomorrow is another day - and I can confidently predict that the number of people coming through the door will be exactly the same as it was today.

Geoff Endacott

Exhibition Manager

• Like 3
  • Funny 5

• 4 weeks later...

There is a lot of speculation about the future of exhibitions at the moment so I thought I should write with the official position regarding Trainwest. The obvious question is, "Will the exhibition be taking place on 17 & 18 October?" Here is the official answer: I don't know.

The Government may have laid out a pathway for reopening the country but they haven't set out a fixed timescale. They can't. It will depend on the way the virus progresses and all we have at the moment are a series of educated guesses.

The venue is booked, the layouts are booked and the traders are booked. We are ready to hold a show in October but only if it is safe to do so.

What I do know is that if social distancing measures are still in place we can't hold the show. A model railway exhibition is not a shop. I certainly don't relish the prospect of running an event where people have to keep two metres apart and wash their hands as they move between rooms. That will mean we will have to have reached the Government's Level 2 in order to go ahead.

So although the October exhibition has not yet been cancelled I do need to prepare for that distinct possibility. We probably need to decide by the end of June because by then we will need to be printing and distributing publicity material and placing entries in magazines. Hopefully the situation will be clearer by then.

I really do hope that the situation will improve, not just so we can hold a show in October, but so that we can all get back to some semblance of normality. I may be preparing for the worst but am still hoping for the best.

Geoff Endacott

Exhibition Manager

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7