Railway & Modelling Obituaries

Ted Flintoft

43110andyb

Sad news that Ted Flintoft has passed away. A excellent railway modeller and well respected by us all at Darlington Model Railway Club along with his many friends throughout the modelling fraternity. RIP Ted!

Edited by 43110andyb
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Ted will be missed, one lasting memory for me, a group of us were chatting after a show and P2's (the Gresley 2-8-2) were mentioned and I happened to say 'I've driven one...' (a 5" gauge model) and Ted replied 'So have I', it was a real, full size one...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

What a sad bit of news to hear.

Ted was a real, proper old railwayman and an absolute gent. A link with a past that is gradually fading away from living memory.

It was always a great joy to see him at a show and to stop for a natter and a catch up with him. When we spoke, I listened as I knew that what he was telling me was worth listening to.

A few years ago he suffered some health problems and there were rumours that he had gone into hospital and wasn't expected to come out again and I was delighted to see him again a few months later, having defied the medical experts.

But even Ted couldn't go on forever. R.I.P. Ted.

• Friendly/supportive 2

Sad news. Ted was a fixture at model railway exhibitions across the North East and I used to enjoy watching his demonstrations and trying to learn something from a highly skilled modeller. More importantly, he was also a smashing bloke and always had time for folk; I remember him having lots of patience and time for me when I used to accost him and ask questions as an enthusiastic teenage modeller. 

• Agree 1