N Gauge PFA wagon kit couplings

The Pilotman

• RMweb Gold

I’ve just received some of these kits which I intend to start assembling in the coming weeks. From the instructions, it appears that the coupling stem is glued into place which, I presume, means that it will have no lateral or vertical movement. I hope that as the wagon is short, and the distance between coupled wagons will be relatively short, this will not cause any problems on curves but I would be interested to hear the experience of someone who’s assembled these kits before. 

Thanks.

• RMweb Premium

I've not had any problems with the 15 I run.

I've put a chamfer on the outer corner of the coupling (as per the instructions?) otherwise they get thrown off the track on smaller radius curves;

I'd be interested to know if anyone's fitted a NEM pocket to them.

They do benefit from some weight though. Running with the containers loaded it's easy enough to fix a couple of nuts or a few washers in the corntainer before adding some coal.

Steven B.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As above, I have trimmed the corner off the couplings and run a rake of 24. These have performed faultlessly on Dallam even with no weight in. I am going to order another 5 to make a rake of 29 but suspect a little bit of weight will then be required. 

See picture below, modified bottom, standard top.

Cheers

Simon

IMG_20190319_101436805.jpg.c9a6e58c97b8b96784b85843327fcf06.jpg

Edited by 87023Velocity
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, westie7 said:

I've used the Dapol dummy knuckles, works well

Glued on or fitted to a NEM pocket?

I'm extending my rake from 15 to 21 and like the idea of being able to fit the first and last wagons with EasiShunts

Steven B.

I've glued one in and experimenting with the "inner" part only of the Dapol retrofit pocket. 

Don't think there's space for the full retrofit assembly

The inner can be glued in place giving up down movement, looking at trying a pin thru it for sideways movement. 

Edited by westie7