Older model runs better than newer one

VicZA

Hi All,

I am not sure if this is truly a DCC issue or not but I will attempt it here ...

I have two locos, one is the Stirling Single from Rapido (DCC Sound version) and one is a Bachmann 8750 Pannier Tank that was DCC ready and is now fitted with a Zimo DCC chip.

I use a Hornby R8213 for control.

The TANK really responds very well to the controller and speeds up and slows down in both directions very well and even crawls along with almost no jutter but the SINGLE does not and often only reacts sporadically, or not at all, to the controller ....

Could there be a logical explanation here?

Thanks

Victor

Are the wheels and pickups really clean? Is the track clean and level? All matters vital for successful DCC operation. Intermittent issues can often be tracked back to dirt in the system somewhere. Does the Single always give problems at the same location? If so check the track for level and dirt.

John

42 minutes ago, johnb said:

Are the wheels and pickups really clean? Is the track clean and level? All matters vital for successful DCC operation. Intermittent issues can often be tracked back to dirt in the system somewhere. Does the Single always give problems at the same location? If so check the track for level and dirt.

John

No, the single gives problems in all kinds of random locations ... if it was a track issue would it not be the same for all locos on the track and not just the one?

Not  necessarily as the Single has a  rather different wheel arrangement to the tank and may react in a different way to imperfections. Although I would expect the rigid wheelbase of the tank would also be sensitive to track issues.

Do the problems occur on straight track or on curves or on points or are they completely random?

My first checks would be the state of the wheels, then the pickups, are they clean and always in contact with the wheels? Are the wheels always in contact with the track. 

My suspicion based on what you say is that there may be a connection/pickup issue with the loco.

What Jason said while I was typing this is a good idea, contact the repair man, before you start any tinkering other than checking the basics.

John

Zimos have a good reputation for smooth running & my experiences with Bachmann & Hornby "DCC Fitted" locos are bad because the decoders they have used have been cheap rubbish.

Do you know what chip is actually fitted to the Single? I suspect Rapido are a bit more choosy about which decoders they use but it would be nice to find out what is inside. If you can read the manufacturer & model codes then that would be useful.

I'm certainly no expert, but the controller being used is the Hornby Select, which is very much an entry level controller, and I believe has some issues with more sophisticated chips. Might the Single have been set up with CVs that the Select cannot manage. I would suggest finding somewhere you can run both locos with a higher end DCC controller, and see if the symptoms still appear.

1 hour ago, Nick Holliday said:

I'm certainly no expert, but the controller being used is the Hornby Select, which is very much an entry level controller, and I believe has some issues with more sophisticated chips. Might the Single have been set up with CVs that the Select cannot manage. I would suggest finding somewhere you can run both locos with a higher end DCC controller, and see if the symptoms still appear.

I did not know an R8213 was a Select. Reading CVs will not be possible so you can't query it for manufacturer/model code.

It is definitely worth paying attention to your pickups. These would have been more of a challenge when designing a single than an 0-6-0 & a good electrical contact will always produce better running.

On ‎16‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 16:52, VicZA said:

...Could there be a logical explanation here?...

There will be, but there is an insufficiency of information to provide it.

My first guess at the most likely cause would be a poor connection causing the problem, rather than pick up, since there is collection from wheels on both loco and tender. One simple thing you can do is to part and remake the loco to tender connection a couple of times to see if that improves matters. If there is an improvement but not a complete cure, repeat a couple more times and retest.

If that's no good then call the repair service.