Flat Bottom Points

JZjr

Hi,

I've been looking in to building points as I'm not happy with the geometry of RTR OO points.

I've initially  been looking at buying some kits to start off with, my question is; is there a kit using flat bottom rail available or would I have to give up on kits if I want to build a modern point?

Thanks in advance for your help

Thanks,

I think I will give a kit or two a go and if they go well I will look into going it alone with the templates.

I am completely new to track building and while I'm sure it is something I can do, I question whether I'll have the patience the first few times it goes wrong!  I'm specifically looking for kits using flat bottom so I can make better use of the points when they're built.

Maybe I'll pick up some cheaper kits and try those first!

Thanks again

Certainly in my opinion using either the standard copperclad method of construction, or using either C&L ST base plates or Peco Pandrol clips, both being plastic are easy to use on plastic timbers. I have recently been experimenting with Peco Pandrol Cips on Exactoscale timbers. Not too bad as the clips easily stick to the timbers. Filing the flatbottom rails is a little more difficult than bull head rail, but when soldering up the common crossing (whilst a bit fiddly) is easier than bullhead to keep 001.jpeg.d3f3da148a601442198cc3aa5415c338.jpeg

Exactoscale timbers

005.jpeg.9087e045c495a6243d317e97a5bbfe6d.jpeg

Common crossing in place, these turnouts are quite cost effective, by making the common crossing and switch rail parts yourself the cost comes in at between £10 and £15 per unit

Edited by hayfield
  • Like 3

Thanks,

Can you (or anyone else) recommend a beginners guide to turnout building?

I think I will start with a simple copper-clad construction.  I really do like the look of those Pandrol clips all in place, I think that is where I want to be after some practice.  I have no space for a long term layout at the moment so hopefully it will give me time to get some really nice looking track before I move to somewhere bigger!

Cheers

1 minute ago, JZjr said:

Thanks,

Can you (or anyone else) recommend a beginners guide to turnout building?

I think I will start with a simple copper-clad construction.  I really do like the look of those Pandrol clips all in place, I think that is where I want to be after some practice.  I have no space for a long term layout at the moment so hopefully it will give me time to get some really nice looking track before I move to somewhere bigger!

Cheers

Just look through the "hand built track and Templot" section (go back some way) or I may have some ideas in my workbench thread. In someways copperclad construction is a bit easier, but owing to the high price of copperclad strip its not the cheaper alternative it used to be

• 2 weeks later...