Loksound V4

nimbamoss

Hi,
I have several! V4 sound chips 21 pin version and have used the extra aux outputs as suggested in the 51968 threads
http://forum.demu.org.uk/forum/index.php/topic,12491.20.html.

So now I have a Heljan 58, I am improving the lights and putting a cab light into it, but the Heljan is only 8 pin, and I like to have the lights controlled independently so I need 6 output, front x2 rear x2 and cab lights x2, but the 8 pin has apparently on 4 outputs  or has it?
Can anyone advise if the 2 aux outputs on the 21pin are also on the 8 pin, and where are they on the chip?
I don't mind hardwiring to the chip as long as someone can help me with the location, I can then wire a mosfet to the 2 out puts to run the cab lights.

Yes, I know I'm rambling now...

Many thanks,

Ian

An 8-pin connection has, at most, three function outputs over it. 

The other places will be present on the chip, find the manual from ESU and deduce them from the diagrams of the various versions.  The underlying PCB is essentially the same regardless of connector.

- Nigel

Most 8pin Decoders have 4 function outputs White/Yellow wires front/rear lights Aux1 Green wire Aux 2 Purple wire.

If you need 6 or more function outputs probably easier to replace the HJ circuit board and use a 51968 adaptor board along with a 21pin Lok V4.3 

HTH

Edited by tractor_37260
correction

24 minutes ago, tractor_37260 said:

Most 8pin Decoders have 4 function outputs White/Yellow wires front/rear lights Aux1 Green wire Aux 2 Purple wire.

If you need 6 or more function outputs probably easier to replace the HJ circuit board and use a 51968 adaptor board along with a 21pin Lok V4.3 

HTH

Not through the 8-pin connection, the eight pin is three function outputs:   the 8-pins are:  track left, track right, motor left, motor right, common positive (aka blue), lights front, lights rear, aux 1.   

( If in any doubt it says the same in both the NMRA and MOROP specs, and in just about any decent decoder maker's manual ).

Any others are wires direct to the decoder.  Whether the decoder maker attaches those extra wires is very much down to the maker, some will, some don't.

- Nigel

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

LokSound v.4 does indeed have four function outputs, with one on a separate wire directly from the decoder, not through the plug (as Nigel has said above).

When I fitted lights to a Bachmann class 20 (21-pin decoder), I had to compromise a bit to combine six possible separate functions into four function outputs. With sound and speaker in the class 20 there is precious little room for a second, function-only decoder, so, I had a cab light on one function (thankfully there is only one cab in a 20!), head code lights at the cab end on one function, tail lights at the 'hood' end on another, and the reverse head and tail lights (headcode lights at 'hood' end, tail lights at cab end) on one function, for the total of four functions.

Wires for the lighting had to be taken and hard-wired to the decoder because the Bachmann PCB doesn't have the necessary circuits or connections. Because I am not confident in soldering directly to the decoder, which does have solder pads on it, I chose to remove the decoder and solder to the bases of the correct pins, being a safer option if I applied a little too much heat at any time. In the case of an 8-pin decoder, if you are  not confident of soldering anything directly, then joining the wires half way is the way to go (messier but safer!) - I tend to do do this with speaker wires.

Sorry for rambling a bit, but I thought my experiences might be of some help.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Richard Croft said:

That’s a bit beyond me! But if that’s what is on an ESU adaptor board I can’t see why it wouldn’t work.

Richard

The soldering is hard this late in the evening and I am having trouble finding a ground for the mosfet!