D&RGW narrow gauge: Back to scenics.

JZ

In eight days time, I should have been flying to Australia for 5 weeks. I managed to get three weeks of annual leave moved, to go with a week of rest days, when this Covid thing started to blow up, decided to hang fire on moving the last week until I saw how things panned out. Although I had earmarked a hotel in Sydney, had flights planned and looked at a campervan, fortunately, nothing had been paid for. Little did I realise at the time, that I wouldn't even get 70 miles, as the crow flies, away from home. The farthest was Portsmouth Harbour, for work, at 69.5. But unlike many, I have been lucky enough to have worked through it and not suffered financially, as many have.

So, what has this to do with the layout? Well, I have four weeks off coming up and I intend to put it to use on the layout and get on with the next section. This will be inspired somewhat by the high line on the Durango & Silverton. The intention, something that modellers have a lot of, is to have the line coming out of the tunnel seen earlier, across a wooden trestle and then running along a ledge, with a river about 9 inches below, about 69 scale feet, around half of the maximum height of the real thing and have the cliff extending to about another 9 inches above. It will run off this section by way of a steel viaduct. To avoid having the canyon go around a corner to hide it, there will be a waterfall behind each trestle and a river confluence. It's 25 years since I last made a waterfall and there is now a much wider choice of materials and of course, there are now YouTube tutorials.

In the meantime I have picked up a few Bar Mills laser cut kits, which should complete the buildings I need for the second town. However, these American laser cut kits are a cut above the ones I have had from UK suppliers and are a real joy to build, so maybe if a few more are obtained, they can replace some of the plastic buildings.

First of the Bar Mills kits is this. Phineas Clutter's sign shop.

1362888046_PhineasClutters.jpg.538114100e55f042356395407d926c2d.jpg

It can be built in several ways and may end up as a workshop on the railroad. This particular kit has been discontinued.

Next up is the Tylick Tool company.

tylick_photo7.jpg.c784fd0953614fd57a8c85fed73a8bd9.jpg

This will be set in Ava City to service the tooling needs of the mines there. Pleased to get this. It was from a UK seller and picked it up for 2/3 the list price and of course, saved the ridiculous charges that US seller expect and avoided the dreaded VAT, Royal Mail handling charge and probably a duty charge as well. 

Next is Four Fingered Tony's.

Tonys_Photo1.jpg.f1e203b3e76212e27935471de4d698a0.jpg

Got this from the same seller as the above two kits and while a paid closer to the list price, I avoided the import charges.

And finally Sweaty Betty's.

p-272-Sweaty_Betty_s_4dd9c2aa276c6-600x382.jpg.420f826b0126256602847e5ca6efb0dd.jpg

This will be sited in Lucyville. I have moved the passenger depot that can be seen in the videos and this will go behind the shops in Main St and cater for workers of the industries on this side of town. This one came from Germany via God knows where. It disappeared into the European postal network for two weeks and unable the trace it. Finally turned up and while it had a tracking number on the package, it was not recognised by the Royal Mail and Deutsche Post.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, JZ said:

In eight days time, I should have been flying to Australia for 5 weeks. I managed to get three weeks of annual leave moved, to go with a week of rest days, when this Covid thing started to blow up, decided to hang fire on moving the last week until I saw how things panned out. Although I had earmarked a hotel in Sydney, had flights planned and looked at a campervan, fortunately, nothing had been paid for. Little did I realise at the time, that I wouldn't even get 70 miles, as the crow flies, away from home. The farthest was Portsmouth Harbour, for work, at 69.5. But unlike many, I have been lucky enough to have worked through it and not suffered financially, as many have.

So, what has this to do with the layout? Well, I have four weeks off coming up and I intend to put it to use on the layout and get on with the next section. This will be inspired somewhat by the high line on the Durango & Silverton. The intention, something that modellers have a lot of, is to have the line coming out of the tunnel seen earlier, across a wooden trestle and then running along a ledge, with a river about 9 inches below, about 69 scale feet, around half of the maximum height of the real thing and have the cliff extending to about another 9 inches above. It will run off this section by way of a steel viaduct. To avoid having the canyon go around a corner to hide it, there will be a waterfall behind each trestle and a river confluence. It's 25 years since I last made a waterfall and there is now a much wider choice of materials and of course, there are now YouTube tutorials.

In the meantime I have picked up a few Bar Mills laser cut kits, which should complete the buildings I need for the second town. However, these American laser cut kits are a cut above the ones I have had from UK suppliers and are a real joy to build, so maybe if a few more are obtained, they can replace some of the plastic buildings.

First of the Bar Mills kits is this. Phineas Clutter's sign shop.

1362888046_PhineasClutters.jpg.538114100e55f042356395407d926c2d.jpg

It can be built in several ways and may end up as a workshop on the railroad. This particular kit has been discontinued.

Next up is the Tylick Tool company.

tylick_photo7.jpg.c784fd0953614fd57a8c85fed73a8bd9.jpg

This will be set in Ava City to service the tooling needs of the mines there. Pleased to get this. It was from a UK seller and picked it up for 2/3 the list price and of course, saved the ridiculous charges that US seller expect and avoided the dreaded VAT, Royal Mail handling charge and probably a duty charge as well. 

Next is Four Fingered Tony's.

Tonys_Photo1.jpg.f1e203b3e76212e27935471de4d698a0.jpg

Got this from the same seller as the above two kits and while a paid closer to the list price, I avoided the import charges.

And finally Sweaty Betty's.

p-272-Sweaty_Betty_s_4dd9c2aa276c6-600x382.jpg.420f826b0126256602847e5ca6efb0dd.jpg

This will be sited in Lucyville. I have moved the passenger depot that can be seen in the videos and this will go behind the shops in Main St and cater for workers of the industries on this side of town. This one came from Germany via God knows where. It disappeared into the European postal network for two weeks and unable the trace it. Finally turned up and while it had a tracking number on the package, it was not recognised by the Royal Mail and Deutsche Post.

Look forwards to seeing how these turn out.  Hopefully it’ll help make up a little for losing the trip. Keith.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Guest Jack Benson

Jz,

When this craziness is over, I will definitely accept your invite as the layout is really coming along. It has been fascinating watching the progress.

See you whenever :-)

Another Bar Mills kit has turned up on eBay in Europe. Hopefully I can get this one too. It's a hardware and feed store and this can go in Ava City.

p-431-Majestic_Photo9f_AsheRawls.jpg.04e92520a15c2232a4b46a5bb359265a.jpg

Other kits to build include the two Campbell Models  ones a page or two back and these shops from Micro engineering.

micro-engineering-k-store-fronts-603_1_a05551e67cb7b6b999b92015ae936e34.jpg.b047ed0ae5ebc6cf14c876f7ca13e255.jpg

These come fully painted and printed, but are only the fronts, the rest of the building must be scratch built. Probably going to use Wills Building Sheets for this. Fortunately, a lot of the kits I have built so far come with excess windows and doors. Rooves can be made of balsa or card, then covered with corrugated tin or felt.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

So, instead of being somewhere in the NSW/Queensland border area, I've been putting kits together. First up is the steel viaduct, the towers of which were put together some time ago, but now the deck has been added, together with track.

brij.jpg.e215f0f3530052e15adf0f610b8322ee.jpg

I have since added concrete pillars to the bottom of each leg, giving a total height of 305mm, about 87 scale ft. Difficult to see from this angle, but it is built on a 36" radius. Been waiting all week for some Wills course stone sheet to turn up for the abutments at each end. Needed to get this built to plan the height of the subframe for the next section of layout.

Next up is this little Fire station House from American Model builders.

f1.jpg.dc37329b439c40218ad596302494b482.jpg

Laser cut wood. Still a couple of details to finish, touching up paintwork, painting roof and fitting chimney. Thinking about fitting some interior to it and lighting. I have a Seagrave 750 pumper for this.

Lastly and by far the easiest was the Fire House for Lucyville.

f2.jpg.b09e76e6020f5c4e8d5a405a82dfbe3e.jpg

This is a Hornby Skaledale resin model. All I have done is to remove the original lettering and add a new sign. Not that different to many that still stand in the US (and Australia for that matter), though most have been converted to other

uses. The engine is the classic American LaFrance unit that was built from the late 1950s to around 1973.

• Like 5

This bridge has been released by Leadville Designs.

truss.jpg.19056fe8dd220604ab9e22c30fc0dfcd.jpg

Bridge3_1024x1024@2x.jpg.05716f4a438074c9031f0af463a70d5f.jpg

The kit comprises of pre-cut basswood and styrene,  etched brass, 3D printed, brass wire and injected details. Detailed cast dental stone abutments are included. Several similar bridges were on the Colorado & Southern and the Denver, South Park & Pacific. The span is 45'. Such a pretty looking thing that I might just have to find a home for. Retails for $49.95

• Like 6

Betty's diner is done. Due to the large windows, I bought some tables and chairs. For this I have left the roof loose for the moment. May yet put lighting in this. Probably add some awnings as well.

bd1.jpg.dc38f890029dea7f921cd6cc9daae45a.jpg

bd2.jpg.885b7af7043ff058f2dd5a5824e0d820.jpg

• Like 6

Recommended by  several members of the FB HOn3 group, I decided to buy some washes from Wild West Models of Englewood Colorado. After placing he order, I heard nothing for two weeks, despite them saying they ship in 2-3 days and email you with tracking. So I tried contacting through their 'contact us' link. Nothing. So tried again and nothing. Finally tried phoning and it went to voicemail. But 20 minutes later I get an email saying it was shipped earlier in the week and get a tracking number. Suffice to say, it was actually shipped that day according to USPS. Then starts the rigmarole of going through the USPS system.

December 1, 2020, 4:44 pm
Departed
SAN FRANCISCO, UNITED STATES
Your item departed a transfer airport in INTERNATIONAL, SAN FRANCISCO, UNITED STATES on December 1, 2020 at 4:44 pm. The item is currently in transit to the destination.
December 1, 2020, 8:40 am
Arrived
November 29, 2020, 1:44 pm
Processed Through Regional Facility
SAN FRANCISCO CA INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTER 
November 29, 2020, 1:16 pm
Departed USPS Regional Facility
Arrived at Regional Facility
November 29, 2020, 11:16 am
Arrived at USPS Regional Facility
November 29, 2020, 10:54 am
SAN FRANCISCO CA DISTRIBUTION CENTER 
November 29, 2020, 7:32 am
November 28, 2020, 5:10 am
Arrived at USPS Facility
DENVER, CO 80249 
November 28, 2020, 4:40 am
DENVER CO NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER 
November 27, 2020
In Transit to Next Facility
November 26, 2020, 1:45 am
November 25, 2020, 4:58 pm
USPS in possession of item
LITTLETON, CO 80122 

'December 1, 2020, 4:44 pm
Departed
Your item departed a transfer airport in INTERNATIONAL, SAN FRANCISCO, UNITED STATES on December 1, 2020 at 4:44 pm. The item is currently in transit to the destination.
December 1, 2020, 8:40 am
Arrived
November 29, 2020, 1:44 pm
Processed Through Regional Facility
Arrived at Regional Facility
November 29, 2020, 11:16 am
November 29, 2020, 10:54 am
November 29, 2020, 7:32 am
November 28, 2020, 5:10 am
Arrived at USPS Facility
DENVER, CO 80249 
November 28, 2020, 4:40 am
November 27, 2020
In Transit to Next Facility
November 26, 2020, 1:45 am
November 25, 2020, 4:58 pm
USPS in possession of item
LITTLETON, CO 80122 

Currently 'In Transit' I wonder where it's next port-of-call will be. I've learned from experience, that when USPS say 'transfer airport' and 'currently in transit to the destination' it could mean it's heading to Chicago, another Transfer Airport, or it's actually, at this moment, crossing the Atlantic. I hope it's the latter, but I am not holding my breath.

Rant over.

• Friendly/supportive 2

In the meantime. I have just received 5 Micro Engineering turnouts at the bargain price of $15 apiece. Even allowing for postage, they were sent as a gift, they work out cheaper than Peco ones. Slightly different geometry to Peco, but I think they look much better.

ME-15-105.png.ac5c2fa32c9ddde3aa98e9b590d970a9.png

Only downside is that the chap I bought them from sent me 3R and 2L, not the other way around. But as the next section is still in planning and I'll probably be needing more, not a major problem.

Decided to put lighting in this, so added a few details inside.

jc1.jpg.928e94cfec00aa98208b1966537fb911.jpg

jc2.jpg.0e8864fd139b9e23524391b86a3f4396.jpg

These are cast resin units of unknown heritage, given to me by Jack Benson. Once installed, I will also add some clutter on the floor.

• Like 9

After a journey of 6500 miles, my paint and washes have arrived.

wwm1.jpg.eedf27bd422759e6adc19eb981416e45.jpg

wwm2.jpg.f270608a3f7b12102d10c6c74def2e6a.jpg

I'll be trying them later They are highly recommended by several websites and magazines, so I hope they come up to expectations.

They also come with a warning.

wwm3.jpg.cce0069e8bec81f6ed34b4e0c26bdd64.jpg

Though I think this is a bit of a micky take on some of the warnings they have to put on product in the US.

Such as this one. 

20201204_123946_resized.jpg.d1d0f2de3d39923f0ae329c31df11aa6.jpg

Can anyone in California actually do any modelling?

• Like 4

Finishing touches to John's place.

jc3.jpg.2f86e51e1b634e2e04c6df371ea2d37c.jpg

Once planted, I'll add some general clutter around the outside. Going to add a small forge, Wills, to the ensemble. Lighting has been added to the central and left-hand sections. I have used liquid glazing on the windows as I think it gives a better impression of individual panes of glass. The lower two or three planks have been given a wash of 'Mud Puddle' and the porch is painted with Colorado rust. I will attempt making a boiler suit to hang on the back of one of the workshop doors.

• Like 5

Betty's now has an interior and lighting. Tables and chairs are Faller and the figures are Woodland Scenics.

sb1.jpg.8c3ea47b5fd6604afcb1393d51f3b863.jpg

sb2.jpg.fe30a5f8bf20e9d6304e19e10ce09ea5.jpg

sb3.jpg.f350a1c8a1e354910f3f3e3b9f5a9fb8.jpg

sb4.jpg.aba4f2e45a6f8caf14b07705be357943.jpg

Lighting is 3v grain of wheat bulbs. I need to find my leather punch to make some plates for the diners, once done, I can better hide the wire to the bulb in the kitchen, it was an afterthought. Menu was made up in MS Paint, the picture is the Wilson Arch in Utah, my picture, taken last year, and the adverts downloaded and resized. I've yet to find a home for this, as it's too modern for Ava City, but it will either go at the back in the industrial area of Lucyville, or by the station.

Funny how you wait for ever for something to turn up, then more than one comes along. Well, I've picked up an E&B Valley caboose and now there is another on eBay. Although they were sold as RGS ones, they include the parts to do the D&RGW version.

And I've got my eyes on another loco.

375.jpg.7602da50f61744cf3708ae7ce00c3527.jpg

C-25  375. The only one of it's kind on the Rio Grande. It was sold on in 1948, the photo was taken in it's final months. I will have to be flexible with history again for my time frame of 58-64, but I have done that with a couple of my K-27s. If I can get it for a reasonable sum, it will be sent off for lighting and DCC sound fitting. While it would be nice to have it, I've put my maximum bid in and that is final.

Edited by JZ
  • Like 7

Well, the C-25 has crept past my maximum by €1. I'll still keep an eye on it, the guy bidding against me crept his bid up by a couple of Euros each time until he beat me.

In the meantime, here's some music. Never really got into Tom Petty, but this version of 'You don't know how it feels' by Sheryl Crow I really like. Shame it's not available for download.

Edited by JZ
  • Like 1

Nearly finished the Majestic Hardware kit. Unfortunately, the corrugated siding for the elevator tower was missing, but a quick email to Bar Mills and some is on it's way. I could have used some aluminium I have, but I really wanted to try the product that comes with the kit. It's from North Easter Scale Lumber.  https://www.youtube.com/embed/RB88PHWlUcU?autoplay=1 Once complete, I have a few greebles to add.

MHF1.jpg.f06901bb2b65882c244a03ba8db108a4.jpg

MHF2.jpg.67e8db418aa2c4d080fd295f3d426ecb.jpg

The loading platform is scratch built and is just long enough to fit the doors of two 30ft boxcars. It looks a bit rich in colour at the moment as it's wet. Once it's dry, it will get a light sanding and then weathered.

• Like 5

Came across this while searching for something else.

washing.jpg.fd46a546a708e29b74ce1ec1b3825558.jpg

Trouble is that shipping is more than the etch. Would be nice if some over here did something similar. I'm aware Noch or Prieser do it in plastic, I've got a set, but they just look a bit chunky.

9 hours ago, BernardTPM said:

Nice idea, bit I wonder if something like that now might be better laser cut from tissue so it can be ruffled up easily.

I did think that, but wondered if laser cutting tissue would work without it burning. Most of the laser cut glazing that comes with these kits has a tissue backing and that has significant scorch marks. Maybe holding it flat would be the issue.

Quick job before off to work.

20201213_090821_resized.jpg.49219ac2d30bf73c109c880e67a5300d.jpg

Sanded the loading platform and given it a coat of Smoke & Mirrors New Timber wash. When I get home, I will give it a coat of Fade to Gray.

• Like 2

Working on the next building. This is the Bar Mills "Four Fingered Tony's", although I have named it John Denning's, after the butcher in Radstock I used until he retired and who has recently passed away. Couple of picture are repeated with different focus.

jd1.jpg.33ca27a6d3895f3ca577507e1e2a0a3b.jpg

jd3.jpg.195c7329927304d2d5f2de9651e8593a.jpg

Waiting for some boxes to arrive before fitting doors to the storerooms. Also have a canopy for the shop front and a name board for the roof. And there are various vents to add.

jd2.jpg.750441bcd1eda2a2454d946af9e166e6.jpg

The kit comes with three whitemetal beef carcasses which I have hung from a beam. The background is a picture I downloaded and rescaled. The figure is a Woodland Scenics one I have been wondering what to do with. A MAGA chanting redneck was a bit out of place in the period I'm modelling, but I think it was ideal for pushing the carcasses around.

jd4.jpg.36192304a0645077b25ebd9a5eb97861.jpg

jd5.jpg.4465c85762f7378c10f6d6d98d1f5ef3.jpg

jd6.jpg.9581d08d441cc9a09187b035dcc797cf.jpg

The vegetable bins and fridge come with the kit. The displays are again a download, as are the butchers at the back of the shop(Bristol Meat machine)

jd7.jpg.75f56d504ba5069ffc572b4ba6839fcd.jpg

As much as I enjoy building these kits, it will be nice to get them all finished and not have an excuse to not work on the layout.

Edited by JZ
  • Like 6

The corrugated siding missing from the Majestic kit arrived today. I had emailed when I found it wasn't in the kit and they replied promptly, it must have been 7am there. Well done Bar Mills.

I'll been treating it as per their advice in this video clinic of theirs.

More of their video clinics are available here. Many techniques are useful for modellers of UK prototype as well.

European distributors for the product are here , but none in UK. But after January 1st any purchases from any EU countries will be subject to VAT and handling charges, so you might as well buy it direct from North Eastern Scale Lumber.