Cuban Railways

Dzine

Hi Folks, Will be visiting Cuba in a short while.  Can anyone advise of any freight operations/rail served factories or yards, particularly on the eastern half of the island?  Will be staying on the coast (at a railway themed hotel) north west of Gaudalavaca.  Kind regards Paul

• 2 weeks later...

It's be worth you joining and asking on the Cubanrailways yahoo group, there are quite a few knowledgeable people on there.

In theory you're not far from Holguin and Rafael Freyre Mill, but I'm not sure of the current operations at either.

Edited by 298
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If it's was the sugar mill I went to 2 years ago which had shut down there was some steam activity there with about one a mile of track in a poor state and an extremely knackered Baldwin with no bogie's.

I'm back out there again next week visiting the In Laws I will try and find out more.

IMG_1161.JPG.289e3b2fe0b8af49f26d85ebd1bcaa3f.JPGely 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

There is no gates or fences just pay the man in the entrance way a few CUCs and get a ticket if the train is still running and you can wander around the yard all day.

IMG_1153.JPG.adf9cb68042ff412aadf8cf2c07bbcc6.JPG

• RMweb Gold

No Idea on Santiago apart from the one in Spain and the same for Havana not been there either  the photo's are from Rafael Freyre Mill

in between the two places you mentioned sorry didn't read you post correctly.

Here another picture it has a whole new meaning on gated stock .

IMG_1167.JPG.da61aa70e3066969268cd61e412ad931.JPG

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have just come across a load of photos of Cuban steam locos in the Cuba album of a contact in the photosharing site I use. They are mixed in with other cuban subjects but there are quite a number there. Berny does give details of manufacturers etc.

This will take you to one photo. You can scroll from there. http://www.ipernity.com/doc/berny/50068740/in/album/1264836