OO gauge micro layout on a shoebox

I am thinking of doing a small OO gauge layout using a shoebox. The shoebox is one of those Dunlop ones which open out to the side. I haven't decided on the track plan yet but i am working out what would be suitable for it. 

I will let you know on updates of the layout.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi there. If you have access to the carendt.com website then page 28 August 2004 of the Small Layout scrapbook has a number of ideas, including OO gauge.

I never got beyond lining my box with hardboard before moving house a month later, but others reached completion and were very good. Hope it helps, Keith.

• Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, luke the train spotter said:

Sounds good. Id definitely recommend having a fiddle yard. Any ideas what scale / region / era / theme the layout will be?

It's going to be in OO gauge and I'm thinking of either doing the layout in the 'Big four' era, the BR era or BR blue era. As I have locomotives with liveries in these eras. I also have rolling stock which is suitable for each period.

22 minutes ago, Ivor_harley said:

James an idea with the gap. You could put a bridge of some kind in that gap with the track running under and may be a farm track or road on the bridge.

Thanks for the idea Ivor. I'll have a think about it. Maybe I will put a bridge across to hide the gap...

• Like 1

I've sorted out the problem of not enough space for the track. What I've done is I've cut the handle on the side of the shoebox so it isn't a wall anymore. I'm then going to bend the handle at 90 degrees and glue on card to support it. I'll also do this to fill the gap up (probably)

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

That's a great box to start with! It's a shame it won't be able to fold back into it's original box, but there's plenty of open space to work with. From experience (see the link in my sig) I would suggest laying another sheet of corrugated cardboard underneath, with the corrugations running perpendicular to the box, to keep the structure rigid. Then protect the top face with something a little more glue-proof; I found shiny cereal box card works well. Good luck, I'll certainly be watching! 

• Informative/Useful 1

27 minutes ago, TechnicArrow said:

That's a great box to start with! It's a shame it won't be able to fold back into it's original box, but there's plenty of open space to work with. From experience (see the link in my sig) I would suggest laying another sheet of corrugated cardboard underneath, with the corrugations running perpendicular to the box, to keep the structure rigid. Then protect the top face with something a little more glue-proof; I found shiny cereal box card works well. Good luck, I'll certainly be watching! 

Thanks for the advice. I'll see what I can do. I've been busy sorting out the shoebox so track can go in. 

image.jpeg.64e9327947c2854941007d9c07e7c5e4.jpegThis block of wood used to be a station platform on the OO gauge layout I mentioned earlier. I have stripped the platform surface off it (it was card so it was easy to get off) and I'll either use it as a embankment with a railway line on it so I have trains running on two levels. Or I could just use it as a abandoned railway line with rusty wagons or a locomotive on it. Either way, it'll give some height to the layout and it won't have that flat look which most layouts do.

Edited by JamesGWR101
Spelling error

James if it were me I would stick with your plank of wood, so many themes could be achieved but I like what you are planning. 

Just be careful though as you might have a plan fixed in your mind but then your mind plays tricks with you and before you know it you have tons of ideas.

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Ivor_harley said:

James if it were me I would stick with your plank of wood, so many themes could be achieved but I like what you are planning. 

Just be careful though as you might have a plan fixed in your mind but then your mind plays tricks with you and before you know it you have tons of ideas.

The plank of wood isn't that big. And it won't fill up the space what I was going to use. But I'll see what I can do.