OO gauge micro layout on a shoebox

19 hours ago, luke the train spotter said:

For layout inspiration I find looking at Chris nevards layouts very inspiring. He’s got a lot of albums on Flickr which can make interesting browsing if you have some spare time. 

Ok thanks luke. I might have a look at it sometime this week. 

Cheers, James

After a short break, I'm back onto working on the shoebox layout. The era is going to be British Railways during the 1960s just before steam was to be banned and many were to be scrapped. I currently don't have any BR green diesels (sadly) but I do have BR steam locomotives and suitable rolling stock. So I'll be using them until I get some Diesels.  

Edited by JamesGWR101

2 hours ago, OOman said:

I think you have picked a good era to theme your layout on. Look forward to seeing some more progress.:good_mini:

Thanks for your compliment. Although most of my collection is from the Big four, I do have some BR stock from both steam and BR blue eras. I also have vehicles to suit the correct period.

I'm going to try and get that other controller sorted out. I'm going to have to solder the wires to either side of the track sometime. Or I could temporarily use masking tape so I get an idea where I'm going to solder them.

May I suggest that you reinforce the shoe boxes with something. My experience with card board is that it wraps over time even in dry conditions even if braced. Also, as soon as any watery glue mixture seeps into the cardboard base it will probably warp and disfigure. Some thin ply wood would probably do the trick. It would make it much more robust as well.

• Informative/Useful 1

11 minutes ago, luke the train spotter said:

May I suggest that you reinforce the shoe boxes with something. My experience with card board is that it wraps over time even in dry conditions even if braced. Also, as soon as any watery glue mixture seeps into the cardboard base it will probably warp and disfigure. Some thin ply wood would probably do the trick. It would make it much more robust as well.

Thanks for your information. I think reinforcing the shoeboxes will help and act as a barrier to stop the watery glue from disfiguring the shoebox. I might use plywood or MDF if I can get my hands on some.

• Like 1

On 09/05/2019 at 18:37, JamesGWR101 said:

Thanks for your information. I think reinforcing the shoeboxes will help and act as a barrier to stop the watery glue from disfiguring the shoebox. I might use plywood or MDF if I can get my hands on some.

You may be able to do this using more cardboard (!) - If you use corrugated cardboard and laminate layers with the corrugations running 90 degrees to each other? 

Only ever made one shoebox layout and I think I cheated as I built a ply box to fit inside the actual shoebox :-)

• 2 weeks later...
On 14 May 2019 at 09:19, mogtrains said:

You may be able to do this using more cardboard (!) - If you use corrugated cardboard and laminate layers with the corrugations running 90 degrees to each other? 

Only ever made one shoebox layout and I think I cheated as I built a ply box to fit inside the actual shoebox :-)

I might try that. It'll probably work.

• 1 month later...

I've had a bit of a problem. After strengthening the layout by gluing corrugated cardboard to the underside of the box I left it overnight and it soaked through. The box was sagging lot and unfortunately, I had to throw it away after my attempts to salvage it.

But luckily, I can have a 'proper' layout as I managed to ring some Sundeala board in the garage! It's only a small piece but it won't limit my creativity.

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/06/2019 at 13:46, OOman said:

James these little mishaps are made to test us. I’m sure you will create a nice layout using your other board. :good_mini:

Thanks OOman. I'm going to start working on the new layout this week (hopefully!)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...