Grosmont engine sheds (present day)

JamesGWR101

9 minutes ago, Scott Read said:

Hi,

I'm looking to represent the Engine sheds on my OO Gauge layout in the near future and will hopefully be visiting in August so will be taking a batch of photos if anyone would like these I can link them here afterwards? One question I do have is has anyone found any good representative models for the various buildings please?

Thanks

Scott.

I scratch built the shed and coal gantry many years ago in N Gauge, but that was pre-digital photos.....I'll see if I can dig out some old 'proper' photos later. I had a look to see if there were any suitable kits around at the time, but didn't find any then - however we are talking 25 years ago now!

Brilliant thanks, I'm kind of eyeing up the scalescenes Diesel Depot and thinking I might photoshop it to be correct and then print it.

Its a really interesting building to pick apart from the old 3 road shed from when the terraced houses where there to now with all the extensions

19 hours ago, Scott Read said:

I'm looking to represent the Engine sheds on my OO Gauge layout in the near future and will hopefully be visiting in August so will be taking a batch of photos if anyone would like these I can link them here afterwards? One question I do have is has anyone found any good representative models for the various buildings please?

Hi Scott,

As yet, I am not aware of any models for the various buildings. I do believe there is a portacabin somewhere (I think Bachmann has made some) I'll keep looking and I'll let you know.

James. 

(PS: If you can link the pictures here, then that would be great.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I hope James won't mind be gatecrashing this thread to ask if anyone knows whether the NER interlaced turnout is still present on site. I can't state exactly where it is, but it's very distinctive (for those who don't know this is the type that uses normal 'sleepers' for both parts of the turnout, rather than the usual long timber accross both diverging lines.

I'm not sure if it was a newly made replica or transported from another site, but it is quite rare and may well be the only one left in the Country now.

Here's a picture of it. If you notice the timbers on the right are wider (12") and the sleepers are standard (10"). Note that the timber for the left line and right line don't match up and they'll stay that way until the vee, where likely it'll be another 12" heavy timber. They did this to try and save wood, although by my calculations it uses more.

32213-North Yorkshire Moors Railway-Grosmont-2013-29 Lambton Tank

All the best
Derek

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Derekstuart said:

I hope James won't mind be gatecrashing this thread to ask if anyone knows whether the NER interlaced turnout is still present on site. I can't state exactly where it is, but it's very distinctive (for those who don't know this is the type that uses normal 'sleepers' for both parts of the turnout, rather than the usual long timber across both diverging lines.

hi Derek. I don't mind you gatecrashing the thread. I think the turnout might be still in use. I'll have a look on Google maps for you. 

James.

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

The Channel 5 series The Yorkshire Steam Railway has got a lot of footage around Grosmont MPD. It’s also on different levels from what you can see on TV, with the lines furthest away from the running line been higher, unless that is just a trick of the camera angles. 

I’m concept it works quite well for a layout because it’s a bounded site, depending on the viewing angle. 

For traction there has been a lot there over the years. 

In 2003 a pair of 153s worked from York to Pickering in conjunction with the diesel gala. Also it use to be used by Arriva Trains Northern (first time around franchise) for driver training so 153s and 142s have worked on the line. 

Edited by richierich
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 29/01/2021 at 23:10, richierich said:

In 2003 a pair of 153s worked from York to Pickering in conjunction with the diesel gala. Also it use to be used by Arriva Trains Northern (first time around franchise) for driver training so 153s and 142s have worked on the line. 

153s and 142s are used on the Whitby-Batterby/Middlesborough services alongside other DMU classes 150s, 156 and 158. There may be more classes used but they are the ones I've seen while at Grosmont and in between there and Whitby. However, as I'm not modelling the station, I won't need to buy any modern DMUs. But, having said that, recreating that may add some operational interest. 

Edited by 6990WitherslackHall

• 9 months later...