Ex 419 MLV de icers

This may have been better in prototype questions, but as I'm looking at modelling one, may be ok here....

Limited info online about these, seems to be several incarnations, self propelled MLVs and ones that have the motive power removed and use a diesel 'pusher'..the pic enclosed seems to be the latter type?..presumably the unit behind it is the motor car, any ideas what this is ?

Excuse the ignorance I'm not familiar with much 'post steam era' equipment

I'm wanting to expand my SE London stuff and would like to build a de icer set, I've got a Replica MLV body shell to start with ( I have a Bachmann MLV but am not carving that up and painting it yellow !)

Any intel / pics of the variants of these, and general advice would be brilliant!

IMG_20190417_151510_032.JPG

Excellent, cheers!..would the 73 be just a standard loco, or would it be heavily modified for the task?.... I seem to recall the 'emu' end was actually the driving cab.

The Gatwick job is more akin to a BG body wise  I believe.. ( does it have a cab just at the one end btw?)

Thanks gents, this is all good stuff!  I was sure that I'd read somewhere that one variant had the motor removed and relied on the diesel loco for power, but maybe I misunderstood..

Were the MLVs  (as opposed to GLVs) used as is, for de icer / sandite roles too?  Again I had the impression they were, but again it's not my area of knowledge, hence my  quizzing you guys!

( for which thanks again! )

Bachmann seem to produce a version of broadly this kind of vehicle, quoted as 419 type, but maybe they're just doing the easy option of using the existing model shell in yellow / network rail !

• RMweb Gold

The GLV's were converted from ex-2 Hap motor coaches, hence the door spacing being different from an MLV.

Before you go modifying a Bachmann MLV, Replica Railways do the bodyshells, and chassis, etc. (Just noticed you already have one)

The GLV, as far as I recall, didn't move under their own power usually, so you could model it as unpowered to be pushed round by a Class 73.

Edited by Geep7
Changed MLV to GLV in last paragraph.

That's kind of what I was thinking , maybe pushing a dummy one with a 73...

The Replica body shell is a MLV however, rather than hack that to create a GLV , i suspect it would be easier to use one of Replica's cab ends they supply and weld it to a cut/shut BG or scratch built body...

Doesn't the GLV have an extra little flat angle kind of 'tumblehome' at the bottom, to match the more modern stock it was meant to be used with  too?

Edited by Porkscratching

Hi There,

I made my models of these De-Icing GLV's from the following MJT parts,

Etched coach sides,

https://www.dartcastings.co.uk/mjt/1005.php

EPB driving end White metal casting

https://www.dartcastings.co.uk/mjt/1101.php

and

White metal cast Shoe Beams

https://www.dartcastings.co.uk/mjt/2463.php

All of this was added around an ex Lima MK1 BG coach as the base, with one end removed and replaced with the cast driving end and the sides added after marking out the new window apertures, with contact adhesive.

( you could just buy one of these resin models though,http://www.britanniapacific.co.uk/Depart GatwickLV.htm, they do both the original version and the refurbished version that were fitted with roller shutter doors and Wipac lights. Scro;; down to the bottomof the page ).

HTH

Meld

GLV.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In many ways perhaps better than using a replica front which looks very chunky as regards its material thickness at the windows edge..

What type of basic bogie did these use btw?...I'm assuming its a standard of some design modified with the pick up bar and fuse box arrangement?

I guess the Bachmann model is purely a (easy for them to make) 'fantasy' item as its a MLV painted yellow..

Or did any actual MLVs end up like this, I've not seen any pics, (now I've been trailing thru images online!)

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎18‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 08:52, Geep7 said:

The GLV's were converted from ex-2 Hap motor coaches, hence the door spacing being different from an MLV.

Before you go modifying a Bachmann MLV, Replica Railways do the bodyshells, and chassis, etc. (Just noticed you already have one)

The MLV, as far as I recall, didn't move under their own power usually, so you could model it as unpowered to be pushed round by a Class 73.

MLV were always powered, from Third Rail or from Batteries

GLV were powered when converted to de-icers, but at overhaul at Eastleigh they were de-motored by cutting the pinions from the traction motor (obviated any need to change the springing).  Third Rail collection still required for de-icing equipment. 

Trivia facts, the the GLV bogies have different wheelbases and wheel sizes.. P4 modellers please note...  At the last overhaul the shoebeams were replaced, I purchased the last 13 from Unipart stock.  The specification for the wooden shoe beams used tropical hardwoods (now protected) and the glues used to bond all the layers together was definitely not environmentally friendly...

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, The Bigbee Line said:

MLV were always powered, from Third Rail or from Batteries

GLV were powered when converted to de-icers, but at overhaul at Eastleigh they were de-motored by cutting the pinions from the traction motor (obviated any need to change the springing).  Third Rail collection still required for de-icing equipment. 

Trivia facts, the the GLV bogies have different wheelbases and wheel sizes.. P4 modellers please note...  At the last overhaul the shoebeams were replaced, I purchased the last 13 from Unipart stock.  The specification for the wooden shoe beams used tropical hardwoods (now protected) and the glues used to bond all the layers together was definitely not environmentally friendly...

Ooops, I did mean GLV but I guess brain fade took over. I'm surprised it's taken until now for someone to notice it. My post edited to correct.

• Friendly/supportive 1