Slitting Disk

I have reached the point in track laying where I need to cut the track across baseboard joints - secured to copper clad.  I have a Dremel and have used the standard disk which is supplied by Dremel.  While it works well, the gap left behind is larger than I would like.  Accordingly, I am looking for suggestions on where to source thinner disks or alternative methods to cut the rail. 

Appreciate your collective wisdom.

Tex

Edited by TexChem
Fixed typo

• RMweb Premium
  • RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, TexChem said:

I have reached the point in track laying where I need to cut the track across baseboard joints - secured to copper clad.  I have a Dremel and have used the standard disk which is supplied by Dremel.  While it works well, the gap left behind is larger than I would like.  Accordingly, I am looking for suggestions on where to source thinner disks or alternative methods to cut the rail. 

Tex

There is a trick to that, but it sounds like you have probably gone beyond the point at which you can do it.

Before laying the track across the board joint, insert a couple of penny washers between the two boards. Lay the track, cut the rails, separate the boards and remove the washers,

When you re-join the boards, voila, smaller gaps between the rail-ends.  

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, TexChem said:

Tex

I've been through exactly the same thing. Dremel do various thicknessess of disc so it's possible that their thinnest version might be acceptable to you. I sourced some 0.75mm 38mm dia discs from B&Q (after I had already cut my rails with a thicker disc...)

Then at a show last year I found some 0.5mm thick diamond-coated cutting discs. Sorry, but I can't remember who was running the stand and a few quick Google searches don't return any products quite the same. The advice that came with them was to "go slowly". I haven't tried them yet.

P.S. Watch out for the shards of metal kicked towards your face when using one of these discs because they can get into your eyes. I found that out the hard way (even though I wear glasses).

Edited by Harlequin

I would prefer to use a razor saw to cut the rail.

A slitting disk (the thinner the better) will do the job but as well as making a fairly wide cut, which is not only due to the thickness of the disk but also a result of vibration due to bearing slop in the drill, the cut will be at a more or less appreciable angle due to the thickness of the drill body.

A razor saw will allow you to make a thin cut that is at right-angles to the rails.

Whichever you use, go slowly and wear eye protection as mentioned above.

18 minutes ago, Hroth said:

... a result of vibration due to bearing slop in the drill, the cut will be at a more or less appreciable angle due to the thickness of the drill body.

IMO if your drill's got bearing slop, it's time to get yourself a new one.  Be that as it may, a more vertical cut may be obtained by the use of the Dremel flexy drive. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

On 17/04/2019 at 12:01, Dunsignalling said:

There is a trick to that, but it sounds like you have probably gone beyond the point at which you can do it.

Before laying the track across the board joint, insert a couple of penny washers between the two boards. Lay the track, cut the rails, separate the boards and remove the washers,

When you re-join the boards, voila, smaller gaps between the rail-ends.  

John

Great idea - but unfortunately, too late.  Will keep in mind for the next time.

7 hours ago, Harlequin said:

I've been through exactly the same thing. Dremel do various thicknessess of disc so it's possible that their thinnest version might be acceptable to you. I sourced some 0.75mm 38mm dia discs from B&Q (after I had already cut my rails with a thicker disc...)

Then at a show last year I found some 0.5mm thick diamond-coated cutting discs. Sorry, but I can't remember who was running the stand and a few quick Google searches don't return any products quite the same. The advice that came with them was to "go slowly". I haven't tried them yet.

P.S. Watch out for the shards of metal kicked towards your face when using one of these discs because they can get into your eyes. I found that out the hard way (even though I wear glasses).

Thanks for the tip - I am a chemist, so I use eye protection by second nature/

7 hours ago, Hroth said:

I would prefer to use a razor saw to cut the rail.

A slitting disk (the thinner the better) will do the job but as well as making a fairly wide cut, which is not only due to the thickness of the disk but also a result of vibration due to bearing slop in the drill, the cut will be at a more or less appreciable angle due to the thickness of the drill body.

A razor saw will allow you to make a thin cut that is at right-angles to the rails.

Whichever you use, go slowly and wear eye protection as mentioned above.

Do you use a guide to maintain the angle of the cut?

On 18/04/2019 at 16:42, Harlequin said:

'BOYES - for value' do the diamond cutting discs in their modelling/craft corner.

I use a fine X-acto razor saw for baseboard joints and for insulating gaps in points etc.  I start with a fine knife edged needle file and make a shallow 'notch' in the rail so that the saw doesn't slip (well, not to much anyway!).  The rail ends need a bit of fettling with a small file to remove burrs etc. if you can.

Razor saws must have come on a ways since I tried this...my Exacto lasted ONE cut of PECO "N" gauge rail, back in 1978, before being completely blunt. I just assumed it was the wrong tool to use...

• RMweb Gold

• RMweb Gold

Where multiple tracks cross a baseboard joint, I couldn't get a razor saw in without trying to cut loads of rails at once, so a Dremel with a flexi-drive was the only tool that would get in there. I soldered the rails to glued down pcb strips before cutting them. Seems okay so far, but I had to be careful to cut the rails square in both vertical and horizontal planes. Not easy with a Dremel under my arm and holding the slitting disc to try to make sure that it didn't snag.