MM 121's

wiggy1

• 1 month later...

Good news that the 121s are on the way soon. If they are anything like the quality of the 141s then Irish modellers are in for a treat! I had a few of the latter in Supertrain livery but unfortunately had to move them on as part of a rationalisation of stock and change of scale. Hopefully the impending release of the 121 will be a further boost to Irish modelling as another class that are synonymous with the network over the last half a century!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 08/01/2020 at 17:12, StephenB said:

That’s interesting because I emailed Hatton today asking for an update and their reply was that they didn’t know when they were arriving.

Steohen

Yea to be honest with delay after delay and now this Chinese flu outbreak, I suspect it could be later in the year rather than the suggested deliveries in march (ie assuming delays in china). IRM have pushed the date for their A class out to autumn 2020 which hopefully won't be affected by the flu outbreak. This was good because both locos would not be hitting the market at the same time and the well is only so deep in the tiny modelling market in Ireland. Both locos will be worth waiting for. Next thing we'll be hearing a clamour for CIE/IR mk3 coaches and re-runs of MM baby GMs. Where will it all end Ted? :)

• Like 2

Yes I am debating about respraying a rake of Hornby mk3 to IR livery, but as sure as Healy-Rea's made potatoes, and as the sun rises in the east, IRM may announce IR Mk3 coaches as part of their range as soon as the paint dries. :)

A bit modern for me but I've travelled on them so should really have a few at some stage. The IRM fab four are relatively young chaps, so they seem to have little nostalgia memory for the fantastic CIE era 1960s rolling stock when the railways were at their pinnacle both passenger and goods traffic. Hence no RTR beet wagons nor H-Vans nor laminate coaches. If I was a betting man which I am not, I'd put a few shackles on them producing a 22k ICR set before they do an AEC 2600 class DMU set. No compaints though what they have produced so far is absolutely fabulous despite my lack of enthusiasm for modern era rolling stock, just an age thing, 1955-1974 is my bag! :)

Edited by NoelG
  • Like 2

If you fancy a 2600 AEC railcar, have a look at Silver Fox Models.  They are not cheap being effectively hand built but they might appeal. He does a range of bespoke Irish stock.

I do wonder if IRM could be persuaded to do Mk2b/c coaches of the style supplied to NIR for the Enterprise 70, and later bought second hand by IE to replace the last Park Royals.  Apart from the unique Griddle car and driving trailer 1st and 2nd class cars used on the winter push-pull set, the NIR open first and seconds would also sell in BR blue/grey which would also help bankroll the unique Irish vehicles.  Of course, we'd need the Hunslets to go with them!

Alternatively, an 80 class DEMU would be a nice one to have.  Loads of liveries including the small fleet IR borrowed to work Bray-Greystones before electrification. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• 10 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well just to say nothing else I could see on MM121 models in the Irish modelling area so just to add most models now released and I have  just had supertain 132 and CIE - plug liveried 124 and both are super - pics on 25 after santa has had me wash up the plate with the dry bread and cheese these little extravagances has caused at this time of year ... 

A big thank you to Paddy Murphy for this opus of a model and possibly his last hurrah before retiring to a lovely green land !  Thanks also to Hattons and the elves and superposties who wrapped, packed and conveyed in short order- stout boxes kms of bubble wrap and well designed in box foam tray all in perfect order to meet the weathering department in the new year!

Robert  

• Like 4

Indeed, the very greatest congratulations possible to Paddy, who revolutionised Irish railway modelling with his extremely high-end models.

Happy Christmas, Paddy, if you are reading this, and thank you!

(I'm looking forward to a fat man in a red suit bringing me three 121s tomorrow, to join the six 141s and one 181 I have......)

Edited by jhb171achil
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...
On 08/02/2021 at 12:45, AMJ said:

Has anyone fitted a Soundtraxx Tsunami2 chip into any of these?  Looks like the prime mover is one of those preloaded on the EMD flavour of chip.

But does the vanilla sound project have Irish CIE horn sounds, Irish rail clank sounds and all the prototypical driving features (ie coasting, braking, train loads, and Irish light combinations for Shunting, Parking, Train Mode, Push Pull, etc).  IMHO the best sound project I've ever come across so far for Irish model GMs (121,141,181, 071, 201) are WheelTappersDCCsounds. They drive and sound like the prototype.

• Informative/Useful 1