Rails announce SECR box van in OO

AY Mod

2 hours ago, 298 said:

Now if only someone would produce a Van to satisfy the needs of the Hull & Barnsley modeller....

An LNWR Dia.88 Goods Van would help satisfy some of my needs...

Edited by Garethp8873
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Indeed, the photos earlier in the thread also show different painting (brake gear etc) so I wonder if this is a different example. Either way it looks exquisite and is definitely going on the purchase list!

Edited by Skinnylinny

On ‎21‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 00:00, Compound2632 said:

... counter the quote about the only Southern vehicle in a Southern goods train being the brake van, there's also the observation I read many years ago - might have been in an article by those goods gurus Martin Waters or Don Rowland - that the fitted heads of LMS express goods trains were mostly made up of Great Western vehicles.

I can well imagine any yardmaster gladly taking any opportune made up trot of wagons and using them for the fitted head.

On ‎20‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 13:25, Compound2632 said:

...later SECR stock - particularly that built post-Great War - seems to turn up in 1920s photos in all sorts of remote places, e.g. on the Cambrian and Highland. 

On ‎20‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 14:19, Joseph_Pestell said:

Perhaps not surprising to see them on the Highland. Probably transporting RN supplies from Chatham to Scapa Flow.

These comments buzzed around my head a while, and then the penny dropped. Rather nearer the Highland Railway, the Great North of Scotland had vans of similar general appearance. And there may well have been more such, what with railway construction following customary practise. Careful examination of the old photos time...

On 20/04/2019 at 14:19, Joseph_Pestell said:

Perhaps not surprising to see them on the Highland. Probably transporting RN supplies from Chatham to Scapa Flow.

Only during WW1, I don't think the Navy used Scapa long after the end of the war.

Edited by billbedford

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, billbedford said:

Only during WW1, I don't think the Navy used Scapa long after the end of the war.

Was certainly used in WW2. Germans sunk HMS Royal Oak in 1939. 

• Agree 2

On ‎21‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 20:49, Edwardian said:

It's only a sample, not a production model, in primer, and was seen doing the rounds at York today, no doubt very well handled all day today and yesterday by the Great and the Good.  While some rather more official photography was in progress, I took the opportunity.  I think it shows it well, and, so, until some better shots emerge, I thought it would be of interest ....  

1382052771_York1.JPG.56ace1b35f181497deeb1a1bfc25f84e.JPG

Nice pic. It is missing the single bolt/rivet head that existed on each vertical strut between the ends and the doors, but nice model, I will get one.

I think only 5 of these ever recieved freight brake gear and lasted beyond 1939 up to around 1956. That happened in 1938.

It would be good if Rails can eventually back date with one of the original sets of brake gear covering SECR and Maunsell SR eras. Some of the original brake geared versions were used in SR departmental service.

The running numbers are correct but like others, I've not seen evidence of these in BR grey.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

Nice pic. It is missing the single bolt/rivet head that existed on each vertical strut between the ends and the doors, but nice model, I will get one.

Those fasteners - the ones securing the internal, diagonal brace - are present, but the two photos posted so far don't show them clearly. You can see one of the nuts in Edwardian's photo if you look closely.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

12 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

I think only 5 of these ever recieved freight brake gear and lasted beyond 1939 up to around 1956. That happened in 1938.

It would be good if Rails can eventually back date with one of the original sets of brake gear covering SECR and Maunsell SR eras. Some of the original brake geared versions were used in SR departmental service.

The running numbers are correct but like others, I've not seen evidence of these in BR grey.

1 minute ago, Guy Rixon said:

Those fasteners - the ones securing the internal, diagonal brace - are present, but the two photos posted so far don't show them clearly. You can see one of the nuts in Edwardian's photo if you look closely.

We are talking about these?

2010035539_DSCN8907-Copy.JPG.fdeec9549c52d7c3ea72ad39a414acf2.JPG

40 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

So although two are in SR/36 livery, they're only SR/38+ build?

Still good enough for me, methinks.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, truffy said:

So although two are in SR/36 livery, they're only SR/38+ build?

Still good enough for me, methinks.

There is some commentary in Bixley et al, which, IIRC, refers to 45374 having modifications in 1938 and repairs in 1939.  The freighter brakes, which, so far as I can tell, is what the Southern called essentially RCH brake gear, were, I think, fitted at this point (1938), so the physical condition of the model is late SR and BR.

As has been mentioned, various differences would need to be incorporated to get to an early SR or SE&CR condition. We should remember, however, that this sort of process allows variations to be introduced that might be prohibitively expensive if such a subject were dependent on injection-moulding tooling.    

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JSpencer said:

Yep. I cannot see them in photos of the test models done so far.

When I look at the full size image (I seem to need to reduce the size in order to get them to load here) on screen, I can just, just, discern them, so they were captured.  This seems to be a case of needed to emphasise a dead-scale detail in order for it to show up, particularly under paint. 

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

When I look at the full size image (I seem to need to reduce the size in order to get them to load here) on screen, I can just, just, discern them, so they were captured.  This seems to be a case of needed to emphasise a dead-scale detail in order for it to show up, particularly under paint. 

Zoomed in screen grab on my phone, I hope you don't mind. 

20190423_124049.jpg

Edit: typos

Edited by GreenGiraffe22
  • Thanks 3

On 20/04/2019 at 22:25, adb968008 said:

......... Reading olivers statement that only one place in the UK has this tech, does that mean Dapol are supplying the paint job ........

That's what I understand to be the case.

Having had the privilege of handling one of these on Saturday, I can confirm they have a nice weighty feel to them : Gibson wheels as standard and brake gear clearance for EM/P4  .......... guess I'll have to do the three-link couplings an' spring buffers myself  -  can't expect the trade to do EVERYTHING for us !

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

52 minutes ago, Oliver Rails said:

Many thanks to everyone who has ordered and shown interest in the model.

Thank goodness you're not producing a shrink-rayed version for us underprivileged N gauge modellers of the Southern, otherwise I'd have to buy at least two or three...

• RMweb Premium

1 hour ago, CarriageShed said:

Thank goodness you're not producing a shrink-rayed version for us underprivileged N gauge modellers of the Southern, otherwise I'd have to buy at least two or three... 

Given the technology being used that may well be possible.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

The roof needs to be a smidge longer and a smidge wider.

I'm also not sure where the upper edge of the headstock is.

Leafing through Southern Wagons Vol. 3, I'd say a smidgeon in each dimension.

It seems to be characteristic of the construction of these vehicles that the upper face of the headstock is at floor height, per the CAD model, though the reference photo for the BR-lettered Southern brown livery (plate 104) is an exception, with the end floor board visible - presumably the headstock had been renewed. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

The only question I have is whether a pair could show up with a load at the Padstow goods shed or open dock in August 1947? Not moving under Rule 1, that is.  If it is anything like the CAD, it will be a new milestone in manufactured model technology.  Military cargo for the nearby R.N.A.S. Vulture perhaps.?

Edited by autocoach