Rails announce SECR box van in OO

AY Mod

3 hours ago, Oliver Rails said:

Painting / decoration has commenced and hopefully we should have some images towards the end of the week along with further updates.

Fantastic Rails!! I can't wait to see these lovelies in their SR livery!! :)

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, Oliver Rails said:

I am pleased to share a couple of shots of the first test samples off the line!

Tweaks are still to be made to these, they were used to test out the tampo printing was set up correctly.

IMG_0057.jpg.2a6f31fd6ec8bb636b08829dbb0b4cbd.jpg

IMG_0059.jpg.301a0cb1812d8240229e3d989ba88f86.jpg

IMG_0063.jpg.22bc2f7041daf7b835c20a78658d3ea6.jpg

Absolutely outstanding Rails!!

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

The one I have on order will fit in well with the pair of LSWR 10 ton vans from Cambrian I assembled about 2 years ago. All lettered in post 1935 small SR style as befits my postwar Cornish Southern scene.

Well, this project has wandered out of the long grass from left field!!  Rails deserve a lot of credit for developing the idea, finding the producer and putting together the package. Also Guy Rixon has done an excellent job on the research and CAD.  The price is pretty reasonable for something of this standard that is not going to be produced in thousands.

I hope Rails, Dapol, the mystery printer and Guy all feel their effort has been worth it both reputationally and financially.  That they sold out so quickly is encouraging and it would be nice to think that maybe every two or three months something similar could appear (no Guy, you're not allowed a holiday).  We'll need to keep an eye on Rails' activity in order to get an order in pronto.  There are probably not any real economies of scale in terms of production runs but if a more potentially popular prototype (LNW brake van) was done a run up to maybe a 100 might be needed.

Using Gibson wheels was an interesting choice, were there no suitable Dapol one's or was it for greater fidelity?  Is that going to cause issues over commercial pointwork as certainly Gibson driver and loco carry wheels aren't entirely comfortable on such trackwork?

Well done, everyone.

Alan

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

47 minutes ago, Buhar said:

Well, this project has wandered out of the long grass from left field!!  Rails deserve a lot of credit for developing the idea, finding the producer and putting together the package. Also Guy Rixon has done an excellent job on the research and CAD.  The price is pretty reasonable for something of this standard that is not going to be produced in thousands.

I hope Rails, Dapol, the mystery printer and Guy all feel their effort has been worth it both reputationally and financially.  That they sold out so quickly is encouraging and it would be nice to think that maybe every two or three months something similar could appear (no Guy, you're not allowed a holiday).  We'll need to keep an eye on Rails' activity in order to get an order in pronto.  There are probably not any real economies of scale in terms of production runs but if a more potentially popular prototype (LNW brake van) was done a run up to maybe a 100 might be needed.

Don't forget "the noted historian"!

47 minutes ago, Buhar said:

Using Gibson wheels was an interesting choice, were there no suitable Dapol one's or was it for greater fidelity?  Is that going to cause issues over commercial pointwork as certainly Gibson driver and loco carry wheels aren't entirely comfortable on such trackwork?

Well done, everyone.

Alan

I use AG wheels for all rolling stock and have not encountered any problems, mind you, I don't have any Code 100. 

I am not sure that any of the major manufacturers save Bachmann have used split-spoke wheels (apologies if Hornby do) and I don't think Dapol have used them.  The Bachmann ones are relatively crude in appearance compared with the AGs.  I think with brake gear this fine on the wagon, you need the more refined appearance of the AG wheel.

Interesting, however, is that I don't think any RTR manufacturer uses 12mm Mansell wheels (as would be required by these wagons in early condition) but AG make these, so printing the wagon to accept AG wheels (with longer pin-point bearings) is of benefit.     

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Well done, Rails! This model looks absolutely outstanding. I appreciate that this is something out-of-the-ordinary in the way it's been designed and manufactured, but the fact that the safety loops for the brake gear are actually loops and even the brake block pivot holes are present sets a new bar for RTR rolling stock. The overall finesse makes the couplings even more of an eyesore :rolleyes:

Its just a shame that I couldn't have justified one as the models so far are far too "modern" for me. I just hope that the previously-mentioned versatility in manufacturing method can result in a model from the 1900-1905 era. Hint, hint.....

Cheers,

Mark

• Agree 3

27 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

..... I am not sure that any of the major manufacturers save Bachmann have used split-spoke wheels (apologies if Hornby do) .........

Hornby introduced split spoke wheels a couple of years back - with the S.R. cattle wagons I think ...................... not bad but not as fine as Gibsons, of course.

Oh - and Oxford use split spoke wheels ..... on totally non standard axles.

3 hours ago, Buhar said:

IIRC, this batch was 600 vans. Alan, perhaps you lost a zero from your post?

3D printing has no major economy of scale once the printer bed is filled, which takes far fewer units than a commercial batch on all conceivable printers. Presumably the cost per unit for printing the livery goes down as the batch size goes up as there must be capital costs for the tooling of that. Spreading the design costs across a bigger batch is alway going to help a bit, of course.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Buhar said:

5 hours ago, Edwardian said:

I use AG wheels for all rolling stock and have not encountered any problems, mind you, I don't have any Code 100. 

I use Alan Gibson wheels on all my pre-Grouping wagons; I have not experienced any problems on my temporary layout, which includes Hornby curved and "express" points. I can reverse a train of 20 or so 3-link coupled wagons through such pointwork without derailment. It probably helps to have all 4-wheeled stock weighted to a uniform 50 g-ish. One does have to check with a back-to-back gauge for the odd wheelset that is out of true - usually easily remedied.

What is the mass of the Rails van?

Edited by Compound2632
  • Informative/Useful 3

4 hours ago, Guy Rixon said:

IIRC, this batch was 600 vans. Alan, perhaps you lost a zero from your post?

3D printing has no major economy of scale once the printer bed is filled, which takes far fewer units than a commercial batch on all conceivable printers. Presumably the cost per unit for printing the livery goes down as the batch size goes up as there must be capital costs for the tooling of that. Spreading the design costs across a bigger batch is alway going to help a bit, of course.

Thanks for that clarification, Guy.  I had it in my head that the run was much less than that but have no idea where I got that from.  I've re-read this thread and the BRM article and I'm none the wiser.

A sell-out of 600 units before full production starts and in less than the three months since Andy's announcement is good going and bodes well for the future.  I suppose there might be economies to be had in purchasing the resin in larger quantities, but those costs are also going to fluctuate with currencies.  I suspect that £28 is going to be a good pricing guide if this initiative continues, which is fair enough.  The rate of output is pretty impressive, not the two or three hours you might expect on an extruding 3D printer.

James, I forgot the mystery historian who deserves equal billing with everyone else.  Without delvers into the depths of wagon history we would be more poorer.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, friscopete said:

Surely there is something we can moan about .i mean it is RMWeb..........

Indeed there is. Where are the ones with original brake gear in SECR colours?

I'm impressed on how these turned out and hope it leads to others.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

I have used AG wheels on all of the Cambrian, Ratio, Parkside and Slaters kits I have built over the last 15 years with no problems. My old layout (Padstow in the Summer of 1947) was Peco Code 100 points/turnouts and US Atlas code 100 flex track. I won't have to replace any wheelsets on models built like this. I could only justify ordering one van to test the concept. By the time the proof of concept prints were available, the run was sold out.  

And, I am quite happy they are using the post 1935 SR goods paint scheme.  North American fine scale resin freight car kits are now hitting US $60 and need trucks and couplers (Kadee 158) and painting to complete so the price for this very well done freight van is not out of line.  I will have to figure out the body mounting and Kadee for the van.  I may chuck the NEM box and body mount a Kadee 158 or similar longer shank using a Kadee box rather than use the Kadee 17-20 series.

Edited by autocoach

• RMweb Gold

There's a letter in this month's RM pointing out that these actually sold out before the magazine adverts appeared - so those without internet access missed out completely.

I missed out as well, but that's my own fault for dithering...

• Friendly/supportive 1

40 minutes ago, Nick C said:

There's a letter in this month's RM pointing out that these actually sold out before the magazine adverts appeared - so those without internet access missed out completely.

I missed out as well, but that's my own fault for dithering...

............. and - rather oddly - they're still being advertised on RMweb !

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

... which all suggests a second batch is in order. 

And according to the BRM article the 3-D part of it can be delivered very quickly.  Presumably it then all depends on Dapol having the capacity to get the printing done amongst whatever else they're doing.

Edited by The Stationmaster
correct typo

Quick is relative, Certainly quicker because there is no wait for tools to be made, and the printing time would be much less than on a more usual printer. 

But I can't get my head around what is being produced for the price, maybe there's a loss leader involved somewhere?