Rails announce SECR box van in OO

AY Mod

On 06/10/2019 at 14:25, Stanley Melrose said:

Is it just me - or does the roof really not sit right down on the bodywork?

Stan

Hi Stan,

The van was designed so that the roof is detachable. This would allow access inside should customers wish to add extra weight for example (although the weight of the van is good). The roof could be glued in place if desired.

Looking at the sample, clearly the last person to handle it didn't push the roof down fully!

Also many elements of the van has altered from this original day 1 grey van pictured above, including the size of the roof.

Edited by Oliver Rails
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
On 10/10/2019 at 09:10, Jack Benson said:

Is it possible to place a pre-order for the BR unfitted grey example?

Unfortunately "the order book is currently closed on all versions" however "there is a small possibility a few will become available once in stock but this is not guaranteed"...

https://railsofsheffield.com/news/articles/3044-rails-br-ex-secr-dia-1424-van

Edited by jafcreasey

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, PaulRhB said:

Are these the printed ones or plastic mouldings as Dapol are involved?

These are the 3D printed models as per the thread, Dapol have been involved from the outset in the livery application and final assembly etc.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, not long now.  On display at the NRM today, two boxed box vans. These are the production vans - not samples - and should be delivered to customers over the next few weeks. 

I suspect Rob's information was slightly premature, but likely to be confirmed soon. 

They looked stunning out of the boxes, though I neglected to take pictures at that point, and the painting and printing that Dapol have achieved is first rate. 

First up the 'transition livery', SR brown with the BR number

IMG_E3527.JPG.532cb4b6bfea3ae6f1709fffbe458c68.JPG

And the standard BR Freight Grey version ....

IMG_E3529.JPG.b84965fea7c0b5194044a05767e80e15.JPG

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

It was John Barber who told me there would be another run.

Well, as one involved inter alia in the project management of this van to the production sample stage and generally in touch with progress since then, I can tell you that the order for another batch only went in today.  I know, as the saying goes, 'cos I was there! The van was a test product for the pioneering application of a new technology.  If it worked, there was always the intention to do more, and Rails have always been open about that. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 7

8 minutes ago, LU Standard Stock said:

Is there a plan for ones in SECR livery in the future?

I think that's probably fairly likely.

It would require a revised design - Hills rather than Freighter brakes, roof vents - and different wheels. It's certainly possible.

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Guest LU Standard Stock
Just now, Edwardian said:

I think that's probably fairly likely.

Excellent! Also glad to hear there is another batch as I would like an SR livery one.

Just now, LU Standard Stock said:

Excellent! Also glad to hear there is another batch as I would like an SR livery one.

Early SR, i.e. large "S R" lettering as opposed to small 1936 lettering, will also require the design changes I mentioned. Late SR would continue to use the version we've seen.

• Informative/Useful 1