Rails announce SECR box van in OO

AY Mod

On 06/12/2019 at 13:43, JohnR said:

Rails are involved in the production of the D Class SECR loco. I wouldnt be surprised if it is something related to that railway again. 

While a goods brake might be a fairly natural follow on to the van, I think any speculation that choice of a goods vehicle might be influenced by the 'D' is misplaced .............. while it's unlikely this printing technology is capable of producing a full blown passenger vehicle yet ( what would you choose as a one off, anyway ? ) NPCS should be possible - and I'd vote for an SECR Special Cattle Van as they, too, lasted into BR days.

Edited by Wickham Green
  • Like 2

Excellent review. It was a shame that they sold out before my credit card reset. I for one would be glad of another run. A pre-grouping RCH open wagon or two would be very welcome although I don’t think this technology would suit them. Why the big players don’t produce one, I cannot imagine. Once the tooling is done, such a model would run for year after year in various liveries.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

On 11/12/2019 at 17:03, Graham_Muz said:

A good review and great pictures, thanks. 

I would only add that Dapol have applied printing to solebars. On the 'transitional livery' wagon (SR Brown with BR number), there is some lovely small and crisp lettering that Dapol have applied.  

unnamed.jpg.65af7d0be3c55bb84bc2eaba243e809b.jpg

photo courtesy of Rails of Sheffield

• Like 4

Just received my order for the SR brown version - superb model however let down by slightly bowed roof and wheels.

100% worth the money, but would have paid a little more to have seen these issues sorted before purchase.

Howard

• Agree 1

Howard Not sure what was wrong with your wheels they are Alan Gibson wheels so they should be good quality?

Does anyone know when the next batches will be available? 

I hear they will be doing earlier version with the single brake gear in SE&CR livery?

Martin

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Martin.M said:

I hear they will be doing earlier version with the single brake gear in SE&CR livery?

Martin

Not from me you didn't!

I will neither confirm nor deny, but it is clearly a consummation devoutly to be wished!

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

• 3 weeks later...

1424boxvan.jpg.212737803d305dd2974422982b927651.jpg

We are pleased to announce a small batch of our exclusive BR (exSECR) diagram 1424 box vans are now in stock.

VERY LIMITED,  JUST 30 OF EACH PRODUCED IN THIS RUN SO BE QUICK IF YOU WANT ONE!

ORDER NOW

The price per wagon is £29.99

Three liveries are available, with two running numbers in each livery:

* RL-1424-001 No. S45374, Southern Railway brown with BR lettering
* RL-1424-002 No. S45382, Southern Railway brown with BR lettering  
* RL-1424-003 No. S45358, BR freight stock grey
* RL-1424-004 No. S45427, BR freight stock grey
* RL-1424-005No. 45374, Southern Railway brown, 1936 livery 
* RL-1424-006 No. 45455, Southern Railway brown, 1936 livery

The model is produced using cutting-edge print technology, designed for volume production and currently available from only one facility in the UK. This enables a practically layer-free continuous print, up to a 100 times faster than conventional 3D printing. It does so using a photochemical process to project light through an oxygen-permeable window into a reservoir of UV-curable resin. This results in a material with excellent mechanical properties and capable of capturing fine detail. 

----------------
If you have already purchased and love our exclusive vans then please vote for both Rails and the van in the **British Railway Modelling Awards 2019**

We are pleased to have been nominated in six categories of the British Railway Modelling Awards 2019.

* OO gauge wagons for this SE&CR box van
* OO Gauge Manufacturer of the Year
* Overall Manufacturer of the Year
* Retailer Customer Service Award
* Innovation of the Year for this SE&CR box van
* Retailer Customer Service Award

The poll is open until 26th January 2020.

CLICK HERE to vote

Everyone at Rails would really appreciate your vote!

• RMweb Gold

I've ordered one! One question @Oliver Rails - the emailed order confirmation says

"Manufacturer: ${basketItem.Stock.Manufacturer.Name}
Scale: ${basketItem.Stock.Scale.Description}

£0.00

x 1 = £0.00"

I assume that's just a database error and the order has gone in correctly? I can PM you my order number if needed.

9 minutes ago, Nick C said:

I've ordered one! One question @Oliver Rails - the emailed order confirmation says

£0.00

x 1 = £0.00"

I assume that's just a database error and the order has gone in correctly? I can PM you my order number if needed.

Hi Nick,

Thanks for your message. Hmmm strange, I will pass it onto the tech team. Yes if you could PM your order number I will check the order has gone through correctly.

Many thanks 
Oliver

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

Excellent news of a second, if not small batch. 

Having missed out on the first batch I may well pick one up. One question I don't think has been asked before. Is the chassis printed in one piece or are the brake components separately applied to the basic chassis print? 

Having missed out on the first batch, I jolly well picked two up as soon as the e-mail arrived.

23 minutes ago, truffy said:

Woooh! Both of the SR ones are now mine! :D

Likewise. I suspect that you, like me, ordered first and admitted it on here later! I wonder what Oliver is shushing about. Hm. SECR, I hope.

689 (Grey Wainwright C).jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

Excellent news of a second, if not small batch. 

Having missed out on the first batch I may well pick one up. One question I don't think has been asked before. Is the chassis printed in one piece or are the brake components separately applied to the basic chassis print? 

First point, I am told that half the batch sold in the first hour after Oliver posted the release announcement - so if you want one, I wouldn't hang about!

Second, re the brake gear, this is integral save for the brake lever.  Technically the lever can be printed integrally too, and was initially during the development of the project, but it overlaps the solebar, causing a painting issue, so has been separately applied. 

So, yes, aside from the levers, the brake gear and the chassis are all one piece. The headstocks are part of the body. 

• Informative/Useful 1

2 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

First point, I am told that half the batch sold in the first hour after Oliver posted the release announcement - so if you want one, I wouldn't hang about!

Second, re the brake gear, this is integral save for the brake lever.  Technically the lever can be printed integrally too, and was initially during the development of the project, but it overlaps the solebar, causing a painting issue, so has been separately applied. 

So, yes, aside from the levers, the brake gear and the chassis are all one piece. The headstocks are part of the body. 

Thanks for those points on the construction

It appears only 2 SR versions are left to preorder as of now. 

22 minutes ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

It appears only 2 SR versions are left to preorder as of now. 

It's not a preorder, it's an actual order of limited stock.

And it appears that what's left is one BR (RL-1424-002) and one SR (RL-1424-006). Ironically, the latter is the one that sold out first last time, before I got my order in.

Sold out in a matter of a working day as far as I can tell! Congratulations, RoS. 

I'm guessing that getting a slot on the production facility is pretty tricky given the time-lag between batches. I doubt if it's Dapol causing a bottleneck. 

I'm also guessing the machine is phenomenonally expensive or else Oliver would have one in his back garden by now.

Alan 

I had some correspondence with a US HO passenger car parts manufacturer who investigated the same process. The machines are industrial size only and are leased by the manufacturer (a US tech company I believe) rather than for sale.  It takes a large specialized 3 D print factory with a lot of volume to afford the lease.  You also have to run the designs through their own proprietary mesh software to make them printable. There are strict limits on the size of the print object when using extra fine detail.   Fortunately the size limits currently fall within the range of most HO/4 mm railway equipment including long objects like coaches and smaller (hope for N and Z sorry O scale and bigger). 

Moore's Law tells us that this type of production will proliferate and become smaller and cheaper over time.  

• Informative/Useful 3

6 hours ago, Nick C said:

£0.00

x 1 = £0.00"

Ive ordered 2 BR ones and mine came thru like that as well. 

Ive had the despatch email so im guessing all is well

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, autocoach said:

Moore's Law tells us that this type of production will proliferate and become smaller and cheaper over time.  

First, I agree 3D printing will continue to improve and become cheaper, though at some point we will reach limits.

But, that isn't Moore's Law.

Moore's Law, named after Gordon Moore (CEO of Intel at the time), was the observation by Moore that transistor counts in an integrated circuit doubled about every 2 years.  An Intel colleague noted that this would result in a doubling of performance every 18 months, and this is sometimes wrongly called Moore's Law.

These observations were from the mid-70s, and they held up well though things have slowed down since about 2010 and Moore's Law will be entirely broken soon, likely sometime in the next 5 years, as we reach the physical limits of how small we can make transistors.